Dora Wings 1/48 Caudron Simoun

Martian

It looks like a marvellous kit and, as usual, it is becoming super-marvellous under the influence of your tentacles.

I built the Heller kit for the Christmas Blitzenbuild and was very impressed with that kit. A real Christmas cracker! 

I chose the Air Bleu scheme rather than the stripy red and yellow or the plain old silver, and I think it’s a very fetching scheme with the white lettering.

Anyway, back to the grown-ups build! Looking good...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

It looks like a marvellous kit and, as usual, it is becoming super-marvellous under the influence of your tentacles.

I built the Heller kit for the Christmas Blitzenbuild and was very impressed with that kit. A real Christmas cracker! 

I chose the Air Bleu scheme rather than the stripy red and yellow or the plain old silver, and I think it’s a very fetching scheme with the white lettering.

Anyway, back to the grown-ups build! Looking good...

Regards,

Adrian

I ordered up the correct shade of blue today and thought that I had finally made my mind up but then ordered up some cream and red so I'm no nearer to deciding on the scheme. :frantic:

Decisive of Mars 👽

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Martian said:

I ordered up the correct shade of blue today and thought that I had finally made my mind up but then ordered up some cream and red so I'm no nearer to deciding on the scheme. :frantic:

Decisive of Mars 👽

I know that problem - I used to be a procrastinator, but lately I'm just not sure anymore.....

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Detail looks great. Clearly nice kit.

The is a nice model in the box but already it is clear that it needs great care in the building. Shake and bake it is not.

Martian 👽

I managed to get some time in on the Simoun today. I have seen pictures of some aircraft fitted with a fourth seat, which I decided would be likely for the Air Bleu aircraft at least as they would want to carry as many passengers as possible. The kit has a couple of seat backs, presumably intended to a future release and as the Simoun seems to have a mixture of styles of seat fitted, I took one of these parts off of the sprue and scratch built the rest of the seat. I added the braces that are shown in the picture posted by @BS_w. In the end the loose seats were getting knocked about and I settled for a slightly trickier painting job in favour of gluing the seats in place and not have to keep repairing them.

With the large windows on this kit everything that the modeller puts into this area will be very visible, so it is very important to keep checking that everything is to the modeller's satisfaction in this area throughout the build. This being the case, I make no apologies for the fact that there will be more pictures of the cabin as seen from the outside in future posts.

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

• Like 13

42 minutes ago, Peter W said:

So good you showed it twice Martian but some really good work on display.

Pete

This seems to happen every time BM throws a wobbly when one is trying to submit a post. At least I have figured out how to get rid of it now.

Martian 👽

12 hours ago, Martian said:

This seems to happen every time BM throws a wobbly when one is trying to submit a post. At least I have figured out how to get rid of it now.

Martian 👽

And now everyone is going to think "what is Peter W going on about?" 😂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Peter W said:

And now everyone is going to think "what is Peter W going on about?" 😂

Oh dear, how sad, never mind. Still, it will make a change from people asking what Martian is rambling on about.

Sympathetic of Mars 👽

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Martian said:

Oh dear, how sad, never mind. Still, it will make a change from people asking what Martian is rambling on about.

Sympathetic of Mars 👽

It is a Martian thread so I'm sure that normal service will be resumed soon 😉

Pete

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Peter W said:

It is a Martian thread so I'm sure that normal service will be resumed soon 😉

Pete

Has it been interrupted? 

Martian 👽

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Martian said:

Has it been interrupted? 

Rarely by reason....:evil_laugh:

Handsome progress on a most handsome period aircraft Martian - not least on account of the high level of visibility your work on that interior will have!

• Like 1

Hmm normal I looked it up….

ADJECTIVE

1. conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected.

"it's quite normal for puppies to bolt their food" · [more]

synonyms:

2. usual · standard · typical · stock · common · ordinary · 

[more]

technical

3. (of a line, ray, or other linear feature) intersecting a given line or surface at right angles.

"a single plane of symmetry with a diad axis normal to it"

medicine

4. (of a salt solution) containing the same salt concentration as the blood.

"dilute the stock solution with sterile water or normal saline"

geology

5. denoting a fault or faulting in which a relative downward movement occurred in the strata situated on the upper side of the fault plane.

Well we’re definitely conforming to the definitions, just not entirely sure which ones…

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

I hope that (a) this might be of some help and is not too late for your build and (b) that it's alright to 'hijack' your build thread like this - if not please let me know and I'll remove it forthwith!

However, I got my hands on one of these kits today (colour me very impressed with it) and of course had to go looking on the 'interweb' for reference material and found these:

http://www.caudron-simoun.com/index.html , https://www.passionpourlaviation.fr/tag/caudron-simoun/ and https://www.museeairespace.fr/aller-plus-haut/panoramas-360/360-cabines-de-pilotage/caudron-c-365-simoun/

The first link is to what seems to be a restoration project, though it doesn't seem to go beyond 2014 (though someone with better French or 'Google translate' skills than me might be able to get more out of it), the second seems to be the same plane but has a very clear picture of the engine and the third is one of those 360 degree cockpit 'lookarounds' on the Le Bourget museum website. They might be of some help if you haven't come across them already and assuming that your build hasn't gotten to the engine/interior painting stage.....

• Thanks 2

Thanks @hopkp, those are very useful indeed. Fortunately I have had a break from the Simoun as I have been struggling with research in my Hunley submarine build. I have got the wings together but have not got round to posting any pictures yet, so your intervention is both timely and welcome.

Martian 👽

10 hours ago, Martian said:

Thanks @hopkp, those are very useful indeed. Fortunately I have had a break from the Simoun as I have been struggling with research in my Hunley submarine build. I have got the wings together but have not got round to posting any pictures yet, so your intervention is both timely and welcome.

Martian 👽

Happy to be of assistance.

I didn't realise you were also a submariner of note - I had a look at your Hunley build and have to say it's impressive. Subs have always been kind of a side-interest for me; for reasons I'd struggle to explain with any kind of logic I recently invested in a Das Werke 1/72 WWI U-boat.....which the stash needs about as badly as the proverbial hole in the head!

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...