Dora Wings 1/48 Caudron Simoun

Martian

Fully occupied with the Martian Space Programme builds and trying to get my concentration and energy levels up to doing some more detailing on the Canberras, many would argue that the last thing I need is to be starting another build. However, this landed at Martian Towers the other day and so charmed was I by the kit and its colour schemes, I could not resist, not that I tried very hard. I am dithering between the scheme for the noted French writer and aviator Antoine Marie Jean-Baptiste Roger, Comte de Saint-Exupéry's machine In the red and white/cream finish and one of the two examples of Air Bleu provided on the decal sheet, blue being my favourite colour on the grounds that it is one colour that I can pick out reasonable well. Plenty of time to figure that out though.

I shall probably make a start tomorrow as I have been insanely busy over the past few days, tidying and completely re-organising the Martian cave to make room for the Trumpeter 1/350 scale Graf Zeppelin that Mrs Martian gave me for Christmas and am pretty wiped out today. (I may make a slightly smaller ship first to get me in the groove but either way a lot more space is needed on my desk rather than the more usual four inches, surrounded by chaos and clutter that I usually work with) Anyhoo, here are a few pictures to be going on with.

Thanks for looking 

Martian 👽

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

• Like 20

3 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

PS. Are you aware you have a duplicate of this running in the WIP threads?

I am Terry. BM threw a wobbler at the exact moment I was posting the topic and seemed to create a replica upon recovering. I am trying to work out how to get rid of the "Doppelganger".

Confused of Mars 👽

• Like 2

Good to see you back at the bench. Hmm the Graff zeppelin so lots of little 109Ts and carrier converted Stukas; sounds interesting, I could even see myself whipping out my Bismarck ( trumpeter 1/350 I think)

The Caudron looks interesting, you can see it’s lineage from the earlier (I presume) racers, I think I’d veer towards the red and cream but the blue is nice too. Will enjoy watching the build.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Marklo said:

I could even see myself whipping out my Bismarck

Fnar, fnar snurf, snurf! Come on @CedB, I'm doing your job for you.

I'm really torn between the colours as being colour blind, blue is one of the few colours I can see reasonably well. On the other hand, the other scheme is very evocative of the pre-war era but on the other, other hand the Simoun in the Le Bourget museum, has been restored as an Air Bleu machine. Both my brains hurt!

Muddled of Mars 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Martian said:

Fnar, fnar snurf, snurf! Come on @CedB, I'm doing your job for you.

Strangely enough as soon as I written those words that was pretty much what I thought too :) 

Well I do like blue too and it is pretty much the Caudron colour.

Edited by Marklo

1 hour ago, Martian said:

I am Terry. BM threw a wobbler at the exact moment I was posting the topic and seemed to create a replica upon recovering. I am trying to work out how to get rid of the "Doppelganger".

Confused of Mars 👽

This means we get to listen to Martian in all his High Fidelity Stereophonic Greatness! It doesn't get any better than that.

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Marklo said:

I could even see myself whipping out my Bismarck

Hey watch yourself Marklo, This here's a Family site. Be none of that "whippin' anything out" sheesh, you can dress em up but can't take em out in public.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LorenSharp said:

This means we get to listen to Martian in all his High Fidelity Stereophonic Greatness! It doesn't get any better than that.

Martian in stereo? That scares even me!

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

Frankly, since the pandemic started neither has happened to me.

I'm not sure that "taking them out in public" has ever been legal anywhere.

Martian 👽

• Haha 5

On 1/30/2021 at 9:25 PM, Martian said:

I'm not sure that "taking them out in public" has ever been legal anywhere.

To which I can only say wahey!!!!

It’s so nice to see the banter and repartee is back. I’m sure model making will eventually ensue :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Marklo said:

It’s so nice to see the banter and repartee is back. I’m sure model making will eventually ensue :) 

Couldn't agree more, I always enjoy these threads even though I've never met any of the people concerned. No pressure, but I'm also looking forward to some model-making eventually ensuing.....I'll definitely be buying one of these kits, as I have very fond memories of building a Heller 1/72 one many years ago in my now sadly long-departed youth. I also love the fact that Dora Wings is doing subjects like this in 1/48, it's the perfect scale for them.

Can't sleep so I might as well get some pictures up to show that I have been working on this build.

The first thing to mention is that this is not a shake and bake kit by a long chalk. There is a very nice model in the box but you are going to have to work at it. 

I began by removing flash and moulding stubs from the fuselage, so far so good. I then assembled the floor and front and rear cabin bulkheads and this is where the "fun" began. If you are planning to have the cabin door open, be aware that the rear bulkhead fouls the door opening. To cure this I removed the locating stubs for the fuselage and with a bit of sanding, the cabin eventually fitted properly.

007.jpg

The kit provides a rather nice looking engine but would then have the modeller hide it beneath closed panels. Wanting to detail and be able to see my tentacle work, I cut the starboard cowling panel away from the model. On the port side I very carefully opened up the part containing the cooling louvres and removed the solid backing on the fuselage so that we now have a see through effect.  I am still debating whether to do the same for the starboard side as I would like to show off the rear of the engine. I am leaving the port engine cowling closed, as there is a cover that goes over this side of the engine so cutting the cowling away would not bring that much to the party.

On the underside of the cowling there is a perforated panel which Dora represent with some raised circles. If one is very careful, it is possible to use the rings to centre up a suitably small drill bit  and drill all these perforations out. It will turn one into a gibbering idiot (Quiet in the cheap seats!) but it can be done. Wibble!

010.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

• Like 16

5 minutes ago, NAVY870 said:

Nice to see you returning to operational status Old Chap.

Thanks Steve, I have been told that there is a very long way to go but at least things seem to be heading in the right direction.

Martian 👽

• Like 5

What a lovely little aeroplane - I've not seen that one before.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

I look forward to seeing some of your other-worldly skills applied to this kit!

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Rat said:

What a lovely little aeroplane - I've not seen that one before.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

I look forward to seeing some of your other-worldly skills applied to this kit!

Dave

There is a very nice model in the box which has great potential but one is going to have to work at it.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Go for it Martian! Is it too early to start thinking about masking those cockpit windows? All those curved corners....

Fortunately the kit provides a set of masks, however, I find a knife with a swivel blade makes cutting curved masks a whole lot easier.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

Seeing the plastic close up like that shows what a great looking aircraft this is. Did you go firm on which scheme to do yet?

On 1/30/2021 at 7:16 PM, Martian said:

I'm really torn between the colours as being colour blind, blue is one of the few colours I can see reasonably well.

You do realise there is no blue option?

Only kidding!

I'll get my coat........

Terry

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Seeing the plastic close up like that shows what a great looking aircraft this is. Did you go firm on which scheme to do yet?

You do realise there is no blue option?

Only kidding!

I'll get my coat........

Terry

Ha di ha Terry, remember I know where you live! :hanging:and that my nickname is Captain Ahab!

As to colour scheme, I seem to change my mind several times a day.

Decisive of Mars 👽

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Martian said:

my nickname it Captain Ahab

I used to work with a Singaporean Engineer who’s English name was Ishmael, used to always crack me up to leave a message of ‘Call me’ he never used to laugh. Hmmm

• Haha 4