Land Rover Series III - Revell 1:24.

Land Rover Series III

Revell 1:24

landy1.jpg

I'm a bit of a lurker in the vehicles section, I enjoy everyone's work posted in  here, but don't make many myself, being more of an aircraft modeller. I saw this kit made up on the Revell stand at Telford 2019 (Remember that - model shows, ah, nostalgia!) and liked it so much that I asked for one at Christmas 2019. Well it is finished now, built with a few mods to the suspension. I thought it sat too high, as did several other reviews/builds that I googled, so I reduced it to get a better 'sit'. 

The kit recommends Revell 49 (Light blue) for the body colour but I didn't think it looked right, so I made a roughly 50/50 mix with Revell 59 (Sky) to get what I thinks looks like the right colour. The wheels and roof are done in my own mix of 'clear doped linen' I use on my WW1 biplanes! I don't 'rivet count'  preferring instead to enjoy my model making.

landy2.jpg

landy3.jpg

landy4.jpg

landy5.jpg

landy6.jpg

landy7.jpg

landy8.jpg

It really needs a bit of muck in the engine bay, I'm psyching myself up to do it!  I've only lightly weathered the model so far.

landy9.jpg

landy10.jpg

It makes a nice companion to my Heller Fergie, made last year. My mate Mr Stringbag keeps telling me I need a trailer to hook up to the Landy, as if going to a show. Not sure such a kit exists though.

landy11.jpg

landy12.jpg

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 34

That looks great - you need to build more vehicles ;) The colour looks just about right, certainly not too blue so your mixing did the job.

As for getting a trailer for the Fergie, Aoshima did a Brian James trailer fairly recently if you can find one. I'm not sure if it would hook well onto the Landie though, but could be worth a search if you did want to try for that look.

• Like 1

Cracking Landy John, really nice build - and to me both the colour and shine on the paintjob look just right!

And as well as the aforementioned Aoshima trailer kit, Motobitz do a set of trailer parts to scratchbuild your own - think it's only really a basic chassis frame & bed you'd need to build

https://motobitz.uk/accessories.html

Keith

• Like 1

Nice colour, very Landroverey.

Regarding a trailer, the Aoshima Brian James A4 is too modern for a Land Rover / Fergie combo. A scratch built cobbled together trailer would be good though, like the sort of thing made from a salvaged caravan chassis.

Going from my experience of the various trailers I have begged, stolen and rented in 1:1 scale, I can confirm that a Brian James A4 or Brenderup Tilt is well worth the money over a cobbled together thing salvaged from a caravan chassis... but you don't have to worry about that in 1:24th.

• Like 1

This has that classic look all over it! Well done. The Fergie is looking good too, I have both of these kits and have the Fergie planned for this year's Unarmed GB. Your builds make me want to start already!

• Like 1

On 1/30/2021 at 10:39 PM, keefr22 said:

Motobitz do a set of trailer parts to scratchbuild your own - think it's only really a basic chassis frame & bed you'd need to build

https://motobitz.uk/accessories.html

Keith

Well done that man. It's very easy to knock up the bed from plastic rod and sheet, I can even supply a plan if you ask nicely, and definitely more fitting with your Landy and Fergie.

Mark

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mbdesignart said:

Well done that man. It's very easy to knock up the bed from plastic rod and sheet, I can even supply a plan if you ask nicely, and definitely more fitting with your Landy and Fergie.

Mark

Thanks Mark, let's hope John decides to go for it as they would look very good displayed like that!

I need to order some more Minilites too, but can't this month as the modelling 'budget' seems to have evaporated somewhere!

Keith

• Like 2

Thank you for the kind comments, those Motobitz accessories look great, I've just spent a good while looking through the amazing range of things available., I'm sorely tempted to order the trailer components. 

Cheers

John

• Like 2

Aoshima have re-released their trailer John..... :whistle: :)

Haven't seen it in the UK yet though, Spotmodel in Spain have it but with postage it's a bit costly! And heaven only knows if we'll get clobbered for VAT & 'collection fee' when it gets into the UK now! 

Keith

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...