The Battle of Najera ... not!

Big Dave S

Bertrand du Guesclin was born not all that far from where I Iive now. The painting of the figure and shield are well beyond anything I could accomplish. Nevertheless, aren't the double headed eagle and bend rather anaemic?

Maurice

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mdesaxe said:

Bertrand du Guesclin was born not all that far from where I Iive now. The painting of the figure and shield are well beyond anything I could accomplish. Nevertheless, aren't the double headed eagle and bend rather anaemic?

Maurice

Thanks for your thoughts.

As the heraldry is painted free-hand, it's never absolutely certain how it will turn out. I stopped expanding the bird symbol when I thought it would look too chunky if I made it any fatter.

As for the bend, I didn't want to obscure the left head. And the one contemporary illustration I found of BDG shows it as a very narrow stripe across the eagle. Later paintings often show the same. Painting it straight (more or less) was perhaps the most challenging part of this project.

The figure is finished.

Base next.

1 hour ago, Big Dave S said:

Yes. It's done.

Hardest part to follow (getting some decent photos).

Yup, that's my usual problem as well...😳

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Big Dave S said:

getting some decent photos

Dave, only suggestion I can make is get down to the level of the figures, rather than a bird in a tree view.

Assuming your using a DSLR? or is it a 'point and shoot'? If you intend to take the photos outside (snow permitting!) and you're using the garden table, put your base onto a substantial box and if you have one, use a tripod. If you don't have a tripod, for a point and shoot, rest your camera on a stack of books,  with a DSLR use a book under the camera and one or two books as supports for the lens. If you are using a DSLR, it might be an idea to consider a cable release, it minimises camera shake.

Paul

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PhoenixII said:

Dave, only suggestion I can make is get down to the level of the figures, rather than a bird in a tree view.

Assuming your using a DSLR? or is it a 'point and shoot'? ... If you are using a DSLR, it might be an idea to consider a cable release, it minimises camera shake.

Paul

Thanks Paul.

That was just a snap to round off the WIP section.

I'll set something up in the conservatory this week and take some photos. It's just a Fuji compact camera but I can alter the settings and hopefully get some reasonable pics.

Cheers.

DS