The Battle of Najera ... not!

Big Dave S

17 hours ago, Model Mate said:

Some stunning paintwork on display here - great stuff!

You're too kind. But it ain't finished by a long way, yet.

Have decided against painting the coat of arms onto the surcoat.

The research I've done states they were just as likely not to be so decorated, as to have the logos on. So, given that the tunic has taken this long to get this far, I'm going with one of those options and leave the coat of arms solely for the shield.

• Like 1

He has eyes...

This is always the hardest part and demands a lot of self control. Leaving them alone when the eyes are done is almost impossible. They never look perfect, which drives me nuts.

I think, of all weather conditions, strong winds & cloud are among the very worst for painting figures. It's like someone switching the lights on & off.

Your eyes keep having to re-adjust as the light level swings from grey to bright yellow.

Hence, this was a relatively short session with very defined objectives.

Kind of achieved despite the weather.

Edited by Big Dave S
  • Like 4

Mind you, aircraft modelling ain't ever this satisfying. 

Nice, but not the real drug.

This is the addiction ... always will be.

Pegaso & Romeo Models are my deities.

With ICM & Soldiers as high priests of the order.

Happy Friday... am about to knock off from admin on what began as a horribly stressful day, but eventually settled down (with a bit of fig painting in the middle).

Still haven't started the annual reports, but who cares? 

(I do)

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=FZywLhFszEo&list=RDAMVMFZywLhFszEo

Edited by Big Dave S

Some more shading squeezed into the afternoon, between a report and a meeting. Not much to photograph, so you'll have to take my word for it.

Laterzzzz

Not a great photo, but the shading continues.

Working down the figure and putting darker colours on progressively.

Right leg this morning (except the star-spangled thigh). Both hips yesterday.

Conservatory has gone from freezer to low oven, so that's it till tomorrow.

Painting the fence next. Hmmm...

Edited by Big Dave S
  • Like 1

1616930013725-615354140 1616930087215-905306705

A couple of progress shots.

Amongst the laundry, Alexa playing Electro-Swing; that should be it shading-wise for now.

Next up: highlights, touch-ups, then fitting the shield into place before painting the coat of arms.

• Like 3

Squeezed a couple of highlighting sessions into the day. No time for photos but am pushing to get this fig moved forwards during the week so I can do some meanignful work on the vignette it is part of over Easter.

Third tone of leather highlights applied (so nice to have minimal dry brushing on this project).

Hopefully get this phase done with tomorrow morning, then can stick the shield on and start building layers of white up, ready for coat of arms.

Off to work now...

The shield is on.

And there's no need to touch anything up around the join (😃).

So the next steps are 150 000 coats of white on the front before the coat of arms can be painted.

And highlight the scabbards.

Then probably other stuff afterwards.

Do you like the manicure?

Edited by Big Dave S
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Big Dave S said:

Jabbed today.

No side effects.

Unless my brain melts in a couple of weeks.

Dave, biggest worry will be webbing between the fingers...............or a second head!

• Like 1

Still daubing white onto the shield. Hope to get past that stage by end of tomorrow.

Slowly highlighting the scabbards.

Nothing to photograph, really.

1617394234007-1665247131

Getting there. Am coming to the conclusion that white is a favourite colour for figures. Lots of work, but the nuances you can create are lovely.

Mind you, I've had a few beers, so am probably just getting a bit dewy and romantic.

The tin of paint is at the end of its line and on life support now. Grainy.

• Like 1

20210404_085816

A step by step record of painting the coat of arms on the shield. A challenging experience today. 

20210404_090732 20210404_091426 20210404_092543 20210404_100714

There is a fair bit of tidying up to do once the first coat is dry. Then step back and decide what final touches should be made with the second coat.

This hobby is equally frustrating and gratifying.

• Like 2

20210404_165747

That's better.

Next up is coat no2 (black). Then more tidying up, before the red stripe across the whole - which I think meant he wasn't the heir to the family fortune.

Perhaps not? Something to check up.on.

• Like 2

@Big Dave S Dave, the French rules of heraldry are similar to the English, your Knights red stripe is termed a 'bend, gules'. I don't know the reason for a bend.

As far as I know it has nothing to do with when born, that being the job of a 'label' (lambel in French) , a horizontal bar with a number of 'points', normally three to five for the firstborn. For successive males this changes in both French and English to, for the second son a cresent, third a mullet, forth a Martlet and so on. Where birthright is concerned, they then have the classification of a mark of cadency, rather than a charge. I do know from the French point of view, a bend running top left to bottom right (from the point of view of the shield bearer) the sinister, is to denote the bearer being illegitimate.

Paul

• Thanks 1

20210405_151542

Still digging Little Willie out of the milliput.

This temporary base allowed painting unrestricted, but has been a real problem when it came to separating the figure from it.

Had to do a small repair job on the shield where I slipped with the craft knife. And it's not over yet.

• Like 2