The Battle of Najera ... not!

Big Dave S

Right: the decision has been made and aircraft modelling is suspended early this year.

Back to the REAL DEAL with the second half of a two-figure set from Pegaso.

C14 duel that I am interpreting as I see fit.

Figure one has been painted in the La Zouch livery (local boy from my roots, got involved in the Anglo-Scottish wars towards the end of the C13, but I've brought him into the following century, when armour was nicer and he was either dead or an archbishop).

Now it's time to build and paint his opponent.

Have yet to decide which family to represent; it'll be either Scots or French nobility.

16120182432911323400108 1612007260211-672591534 16120034477331483709346

Mr Ashby is there in the background.

Can't WAIT to dig him out of that Milliput base ... undamaged.

The game is on.

Just need the swimming pool to reopen, and all will be well.

Edited by Big Dave S
Typo ... and lockdown insanity
  • Like 5

A bit of scatter grass, now varnished in place. Mail armour washed with the ubiquitous Tamiya Smoke.

Minimal filler needed on this beauty. So the next job is a spot of filing (once the varnish dries) and coming up with an identity.

For the figure, not me.

• Like 3

...and the candidate chosen is: Bertrand du Guesclin!

Might as well go for the main man (this guy would be in the French front row nowadays, and probably captain the national team).

His coat of arms is interesting and I get to paint the tunic white (WHOOP! WHOOP! = no highlighting on that!)

Good: now the project can move forward...

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertrand_du_Guesclin

I love the Middle Ages. Of course Willem la Zouch and Bertrand du Guesclin didn't meet, but to be honest I'd be an old man by the time I tracked down an encounter of two particular knights during the Hundred Years War - or at least would have finished this duet anyway. The main thing is how it turns out and that this hobby is fun on all levels.

Feels good to be working on a figure again.

Edited by Big Dave S
additional info
  • Like 3

Well, now I start to apply 5 or more coats of matt white to the shield and tunic.

1612294880036-655948716

Hard to tell in this light, but no.1 is on.

Edited by Big Dave S
  • Like 5

Knocked off from site early, as we all had cold wet feet and had done what we came there for. 

So, white coat no.3 is on, and there should be time to apply no.4 before bedtime.

So, that'll leave no's 5 & 6 (if required) tomorrow and open the doors to begin tunic shading on Friday+.

There are a few (very few) advantages to lockdown: more home-working allows lunchtime (daylight) painting.

This is a happy project.

Lots to like about this project, your personal connection, the heraldry research, and a really nice model to paint. Looking forward to following this.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ted said:

Lots to like about this project, your personal connection, the heraldry research, and a really nice model to paint. Looking forward to following this.

Thanks Ted.

It's going to be a slow process, but hopefully the approach this time - starting the shading before applying metallic colours - will make the progress more apparent.

As for research: always a pleasure for Middle Ages and Ancients figs!

• Like 1

Fifth coat of white applied.

That might be it, although my advisors tell me it's far too early to say and that I should continue applying further coats for the next few months ....

Or is that something else?

Edited by Big Dave S
  • Like 2

Well, it needed 6 coats of white to get a consistent coverage. Shield may need a seventh.

Hopefully start shading those tomorrow+.

Probably going to steer the colour scheme around black and white on this one.

Time and whims will tell.

Currently playing:

Edited by Big Dave S

Not much likely to be visible, but I started shading the tunic and will continue this weekend. A daylight job. In the conservatory.

That should be refreshing when the wind shifts to the east.

Rooting for France in the Six Nations...

We aren't allowed to talk politics, so that random statement will remain so.

Enjoy the weekend, folks 

First tone of shading applied to the tunic. In a freezing conservatory, with awful light. So it was a mechanical, methodical affair, painting a line of very (very) pale grey onto a recess, then softening the edges and moving on to the next one.

Am now hoping it all worked. Thank god the contrast was minimal: more room for error.

Fingers tingling as they thaw now.

No photo: too dark.

Edited by Big Dave S

Another application this morning, of what turned out to be more or less the same shade of pale grey.

Never mind. That one's been consolidated and it certainly did no harm. Once it's dried, and my extremities have sensation again (toes currently bathed in hot-aches), the next shade down can be painted.

Have made a note on the paper of what this tone was, for later comparison. Still not much to show, photo-wise.

20210208_204437

I'm not convinced anything is really visible in this photo, but the surcoat has had two applications of shading (three below the belt).

Absolutely freezing in the conservatory. Had to place wrists firmly on the table yesterday to stop shaking. And now have bright pink fat fingers! 😆They feel sooo warm indoors!

Anyway, that's it for toning till next weekend.

On to basic colours under the desk lamp during the week: armour, straps, accoutrements, finish getting flesh base colour down.

Cheers.

(Any electricians out there able to mend my drum kit?)

• Like 3