H Builds “The Mighty Bedford MK Tactical Refueller” FINISHED

Way back last year, before Covid, when model shows still happened, I met up with my good modelling buddy @nimrod54. One of my purchases from the show was this beauty 

Having driven and operated these, and other refuellers, it covers @Col. personal connection, and should get our Dutch modelling truck master @JeroenS as excited as an afternoon in a certain type of coffee shop. 

You got out of the cab after driving these and other MKs with arms like ”Arnies” due to lack of power steering and a respect for warming up the brakes before using them properly. Many an MT Driver found out the hard way, with forehead prints in the windscreen. 

Once the Jag is ready for priming I will crack on with this one. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, desert falcon said:

I thought I read in the news coffee bars were closed @JeroenS, or is it maybe just for tourists? 

Closed indeed... lucky for me I don't drink.. or smoke ... coffee 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Closed indeed... lucky for me I don't drink.. or smoke ... coffee 

What’s happening with Carnival this year? Or is that just something they do in the south? I remember floats, sweets being thrown for the kids and many merry parents. 

1 hour ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

What’s happening with Carnival this year? Or is that just something they do in the south? I remember floats, sweets being thrown for the kids and many merry parents. 

Carnival, or “Fasching”, has so far I know been cancelled here in Germany. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Yep, cancelled. Not my cup of tea anyway. I don't like crowds and I can only take that music for about 30 seconds. I live "above the rivers" as we say here. Well, only just but the difference is huge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ah the good old 4 tonner and a refueller to boot. It is not only MT drivers that found out that driving these had a bit of an art to it. Turning these was fun without power steering and the good old fashioned way of turning the wheel was an art in itself.

• Haha 1

With the Jag awaiting primer, I made a start on this last week

4454AFFD-905D-435F-989F-5DDB3151B6EE

Not a massive amount of parts, but that makes it easier and within a few minutes I had this

9F15FE1C-F6FB-4879-B5A1-892BC7A17F9C

After quite a bit of cheating, copying @JeroenS homework I have decided to keep it in small substructures to aid painting, mainly chassis, tank and pump unit have been joined and the cab. And to keep @nimrod54 happy I have deployed the brass rod

B566F957-003E-4540-9EA7-48A53086F12D

A now hollow exhaust. I need to make door mirrors and bars, maybe brass rod or staples, not sure which yet. 

• Like 3

A bit of fiddling with the brass rod today has produced this

Mirror arms on the cab, handbrake next to drivers seat, the hollow exhaust has been added to the back box.

Note the lack of a brass rod ladder! Little H is in the room and doesn’t need to hear that sort of language!!!!

• Like 6

Note the lack of a brass rod ladder! Little H is in the room and doesn’t need to hear that sort of language!!!!

:rofl2: 

Still, that is neat work on the mirror frames, exhaust and handbrake 🔍 though H.

• Thanks 1

Paint

The cab being completely clear plastic I painted it in Tamiya RAF Green, then have given it a rough coat of Hum 250. Actually quite pleased with the used look. I may now paint the tank compartment in same way instead of Hum 250 over grey primer. 

The Hum 250 has got to be a vintage of over 25 years. 

• Like 4

On 2/6/2021 at 2:14 PM, nimrod54 said:

Ooohh! while the brass is out, don't forget that ladder.

And that little platform at the ladder top could do with being replaced too...

On 2/10/2021 at 7:23 PM, Hockeyboy76 said:

I painted it in Tamiya RAF Green,

Glad you reminded me, I too have the same kit on the go.

Build going well and looking great.

Stuart

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, CliffB said:

Your paintwork is really bringing that to life H :thumbsup2:

Thanks Cliff, far too kind as always. 

@nimrod54, @Courageous, your bad bad men,

One bodged ladder, held together with the power of super swears!!!!!, and yes replacement mesh for the walk way is in the post. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

One bodged ladder, held together with the power of super swears!!!!!, and yes replacement mesh for the walk way is in the post. 

Good effect on the paint H, and the ladder looks a lot better than the kit part. I hope little H was out of the room or had her :headphones: on whilst you were putting that together. :winkgrin:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

A wonky ladder adds to its chararcter. Those top plates look much better. Also, quite impressed with the clarity of the cab glazing.

Stuart

Johnson’s Klear floor wax works wonders on clear plastic. 

• Like 1