1/72nd RF4E Phantom 'The Hammers'Squadron Israeli Air Force

Mr T

Between Group Builds I have built something different from my usual British military aircraft, an Israeli Phantom. This is one of the RF4E's that was delivered in the Compass Grey scheme worn by South Korean Phantoms, and I have read that  the handful of aircraft in this scheme supplied to Israel were originally destined for South Korea. Unlike a lot of air forces, apparently the Israelis detached a few reconnaissance aircraft to each of the active Phantom units. This aircraft was flown by the 'Hammers'  which t now flies the F5I.

The model is from the Hasegawa kit with the addition of a Blackbird Model resin IFR probe and is basically out of the box. The main colour scheme was airbrushed using Xtracyrics paint and the stencil decals came from a Microscale sheet. Squadron markings, national insignia and the warning stencils in Hebrew came from a Cutting Edge Decal sheet for Israeli Phantoms.

50887812056_645c7f5fd5_k_d.jpg

50887811866_72bb864ee1_k_d.jpg

RF4E 05

50887811511_58a88aefb9_k_d.jpg

50887094328_5090642d74_k_d.jpg

Hope you like it.

Martin

• Like 32

I know that West Ham had an Israeli playing for them at one time, but I didn't know that the IDF returned the compliment and named a squadron after them.

Nice work T. Gotta love a Phantom. Phantastic!

John.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks everyone for the comments, they are much appreciated. Although my usual fare is military aircraft used by the UK, I also build Canadian, Australian and New Zealand used machines and Israeli and El Salvadorean. Mostly it means I can build stuff that is a bit different and in the case of El Salvador, there is a strong connection on Mrs T's side. Her great-great grandfather was once  vice president and his brother was president (gained and lost power dc in coups) and her dad was born there. 

Edited by Mr T

While looking through some old photos, I came across this blast from the past. It is my original attempt at an Israeli Phantom and was built in 1980 from the then current Hasegawa kit. The Israeli colours were not available then, and I used a various Humbrol enamels, including some from their railway range to match the colours. Decals camr from Microscale and i spent ages putting the stencils on. It wer 'ard in them days, we had to go out into countryside and kill small animals so we could boil them down to make glue to stick kits together and catch sharks to use their skins as sandpaper. Tell it to these young un's today, and they won't believe you, just cos' its a pack of lies  (apologies to Monty Python). It got a second in one of the early Newark shows, one of the few things I have entered into competition. The class winner was an Italeri  Luftwaffe F4F Phantom that was also mine.

50908866932_f7cf31fd1e_o_d.jpg