Greek Torpedo boat sailing secretly to the port of Thessaloniki (18-10-1912)

The torpedo boat 11 (as well as the numbers 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16) was built in 1884-1885 at the German shipyards Vulkan and joined the Greek Fleet in 1885. It took part in the war of 1897. In 1905 it was transformed in the factory " McDowell and Varvour "in Piraeus.

On October 18, 1912, during the First Balkan War, under the command of Lieutenant Nikolaos Votsis, he sailed to Macedonia, during the operations for the liberation of nations, from the Ottoman Empire.

Sailing with the traffic lights off, having instructions from the local Greek boat captains Michalis Koufos and Nikolaos Vlachopoulos, who had shown him the entrance area to the port of Thessaloniki, which was part of the Ottoman Empire, he secretly entered the port.

It was essentially a suicide attempt, as the port was guarded by the cannons of Karabournou Fortress and by mines. Defying the danger, which was enormous, it passed over the mined waters and fired three torpedoes, it managed to sink the old Turkish armored vehicle FETH-I-BULEND anchored there.

The torpedo boat 11 sank after a grounding on April 23, 1913 in the bay of Moudros of Lemnos island in Greece, as a result of severe bad weather, without casualties. It later ascended and returned to active action. In 1918 it was turned into an aquifer. It was decommissioned in 1920.

The model it’s scratchbuild on a scale of about 1/625, based on photos of the real.

P1010033.jpgcolors of friendship

P1010034.jpg

P1010035.jpg

• Like 51

Thank you all for the comments.

Do not worry I glued the lid with souperglue…

This summer I was mainly involved with ships, as my son was called up to serve his military service in the Greek Navy and every day there was a risk of war in our neighborhood (Crete).

So you will see other projects.

This was my third ship and my second attempt to build an artificial sea.

I have also built four small submarines.

The idea this small vignette came upside down, from the box that someone left in my office a few years ago and I kept it because I liked it.

For a few years I used it for paper clips until it found its true purpose.

The story of the torpedo boat 11 and its crew impressed me as a child, I read it in an old bound history book of my father.

The construction was made of plastic sheets and modeling putty, painted with vallejo.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...