Klear question?

Farmerboy

disclaimer: I've never used klear, but all instances i've read of it being used was neat, either brushed or airbrushed straight from the bottle. Thinning it may affect the self-levelling effects of the product. 

I have heard of some unpredictable results in using the floor wax as a gloss coat, and would urge you towards model oriented products. Aclad Aqua Gloss is probably the closest you're going in find to Klear, in terms of an acrylic based gloss poured right into the airbrush and spraying, no thinning needed. 

If you are brushing, some other people may have better recommendations. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

as said above I would not thin Klear. When I use it, I apply it with a soft flat brush, having had too much troubles trying to airbrush it.

I also found that dedicated varnishes (Gunze gloss coat or Tamiya X22) are much better than Klear (at least for me).

If you absolutely want to thin Klear, I advice using rubbing alcohol instead of water,

best,

Christian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes you can dilute with water. However, my preference was to shoot it through the airbrush without dilution although I was never totally happy due to variable performance and this is evident in the number of "recipes" proposed by others. I have seen posts with some advocating anything from no water, to adding a touch of water to a 50:50 mix. Sometimes with the addition of a small amount of dishwashing liquid or using Windex or IPA instead of water as a thinner. I am sure others will chime in with their recipe. Many of these I have experimented with. My best decision was to move away from Future to products more consistent out of the bottle say AK intermediate Gauzy Agent, MiG Lucky Varnish, and the excellent Alclad Aqua Gloss over the non-alcohol based aqueous acrylics and predominantly Tamiya X-22 or, my favourites, Gunze GX100 and 112 over alcohol based aqueous acrylics and lacquer based paints. I do not use enamels other than for washes.

For brush painting, its self-levelling properties, in its undiluted state, are excellent and if I want a hand painted gloss coat it is still my go to product.

I still use water diluted Future for bedding decals that may be prone to silvering as discussed here:

Sorry this does not clearly answer the question. Short answer - yes you can. But, I recommend a test to see if you get the effect you're after.  

Ray 

• Thanks 1

I use Klear through an airbrush thinned 50:50 with IPA - I found this avoided problems with pooling. I also use this as a final finished mixed with Tamiya X-21 (flat base) to produce a finish with the desired degree of matt ... anything from slightly off full gloss to dead matt.

IMHO this produces a more robust finish than many varnishes I've tried and can be handled quickly after spraying. Works for me over both acrylic and enamel. No problems with consistency here. 

Cheers

Colin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1