Covid Jab

DMC

On 2/5/2021 at 3:15 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

Had my invite, booked for next wednesday morning, so if you don't hear from me after that................:who-let-rip:

No matter WHAT happens, we'll hear about it on the news, so will be forewarned for Telford in regards to the man with two head's, six arm's......! :wicked:

1 minute ago, PhoenixII said:

No matter WHAT happens, we'll hear about it on the news, so will be forewarned for Telford in regards to the man with two head's, six arm's......! :wicked:

At least I won't have six fingers and webbed feet. :zombie:

• Haha 1

My dad has jab his tomorrow (Monday). According to the mob in Edinburgh he's in category 4, whilst I'm in category 6. I await my blue envelope in bated anticipation!!:lol:

On a light hearted note I've discovered that Glaswegians say "jag" not "jab" when they refer to getting a vacination. :huh: Up here in NE Scotland we've always said jab! Is there anywhere else in Scotland that says jag rather than jab?

Mike.:)

10 minutes ago, MikeR said:

On a light hearted note I've discovered that Glaswegians say "jag" not "jab" when they refer to getting a vacination. :huh: Up here in NE Scotland we've always said jab! Is there anywhere else in Scotland that says jag rather than jab?

Brought up and spent first forty plus of my life in Falkirk midway between Glasgow and Edinburgh and it was always 'jag' , grew up thinking that 'jab' was an American affectation.

No idea what they call it or used to call it in Montrose where I now live but in line with the local habit of adding 'y' to nouns probably 'jaggy'.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, MikeR said:

My dad has jab his tomorrow (Monday). According to the mob in Edinburgh he's in category 4, whilst I'm in category 6. I await my blue envelope in bated anticipation!!:lol:

I grew up in Wishaw where it was definitely "jag", probably influenced by Glasgow 20-odd miles away.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, One 48 said:

So do you get a certificate to show you've been vaccinated then? or does that come after the second one?

Thinking about a couple of posts here saying cruise liners wont accept you if you haven't, and quite right too, just wondered how you proved you have been vaccinated?

10AM for me tomorrow, just hope the side effects are not too bad and last too long.

I got a card with my name, the type of vaccine, batch number and date of vaccination.  Don't know if that's classed as a certificate, perhaps, as you suggest, the certificate comes after the second dose.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2021 at 5:03 PM, Fifer54 said:

Under normal circumstances where it takes years to bring a vaccine to market, these sort of side effects can often be "fine-tuned" out, there hasn't been time to do that in this case.

Some over-the-counter pharmaceutical products (painkillers) have more documented side-effects. And that's after several years of clinical testing.

And yes, I've had to point that very fact out to someone.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, One 48 said:

So do you get a certificate to show you've been vaccinated then? or does that come after the second one?

The wife got her certificate emailed to her after her second jab. 

The problem with this is I can see that they would be very easy to forge.

Graham

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MikeR said:

Where I grew up in Fife, it was always jag. And when I lived in the North-west highlands (east coast of Sutherland) it was "jag". Jab was what Sassenachs called it! (For the benefit of foreign readers, Sassenach is Gaelic for "Saxon" and thus is used

in Scotland as a pejorative for the English. Gaelic speakers use it non-pejoratively to mean "Lowlander".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

At the QMC, I was given this sticker and a wallet card as proof.  Card had batch number, date and space for 2nd jab (April 24th).  Roll on the Jab. 

resized_54a0f450-384d-4bf2-b867-eeaa5340

Dennis

• Like 2

Just back from mine in NE Scotland, got the Pfizer vaccine, never even felt it, got a letter saying when it was done, the type and where, interesting to see how procedures differ around the UK, so long as I have some sort of reliable proof after the second injection I'll be quite happy though.

Very impressed with the operation up here, went very smooth and professional, well done NHS, even a couple of Army lads were there to help and direct people.

• Like 3

24 hours on and only reaction was a slight muscle pain a couple of inches south of the injection site last night but not enough to bother about and this morning the same area is still slightly tender to touch but all in all much like the annual Flu' shot and so far without the slight 'fluish' symptoms that usually gives me the following day.

As regards documentation all that was being given out in Montrose was the technical blurb from the packaging enlarged to a double A-4 page handout and a small NHS leaflet on what to expect regarding side-effects and how to respond.       We were told that the vaccine in use was the Pfizer one and that we would be called back within twelve weeks for a second dose but very much 'don't call us we'll call you'.

• Like 3

Following on from my first Covid jab this morning, honestly never even felt it? am used to flu jabs every year and can certainly feel them, usual normal sharp pain type thing, but covid jab this morning, Nurse said let your arm just hang down (I was obviously a bit tense) and she then said, there its done ... maybe paranoia is a side effect already LOL, but wondering if it got done at all properly?

Researched this and nearly everyone felt the jab and could see the injection point almost immediately, folk took pics to share ... my skin on my arm where the injection was aimed at is entirely clear, no pain, no usual entry point redness ... and I am a worrier ... accidents with injections do happen ... once I went to a Vets, different thing I know, but it was Cats annual jab, we both held puss down, and trainee vet tried to inject him, she failed, it squirted all over my fingers .. we looked each other in the eye, she said most of it went in ... i felt sorry for her as a trainee and let it slide, proud as I am of all the health care workers this morning, can someone please confirm if its possible to know you have had the Pfizer injection done properly please?

I know this seem a bit paranoid, but I never felt a thing and always feel the jabs.

By coincidence and separate from this, have annual blood tests due next Monday, will mention this to them ... IE: can they detect if I got the injection done successfully or not.

Worried.

On 2/4/2021 at 2:09 AM, noelh said:

I doubt I'll get mine for at least three months on this side of the Irish Sea. Despite being 61, I find myself lumped in with all the young people. My only underlying condition is well controlled hypertension. So no shortcuts. My wife will likely get hers soon as she's a medical scientist in a hospital. Her sister in the same profession already had her two jabs. 

So it's still a big worry for me. But it's entirely possible I had it and was asymptomatic or had mild symptoms. I suspect a lot of people particularly in the early days had it unknowingly. 

One person I know died from it and that was a very elderly aunt. She was in a carehome. Only one other person I know was ill from it and that was a teenager, yet all his family tested negative. It's a strange illness. 

The sooner we all get vaccinated the better. 

Just be careful chap. 👍

• Thanks 1

That's my dad had his jab, no problems except a lengthy queue. I went with him, but stayed in the car as per the guidence whilst he went in. Looks like the local program's using postcode to sequence who comes in as we met a few of the neighbours!

He asked which vaccine he was getting and like @Des and @One 48 it was the Pfizer one which he was glad about. If it had been the Oxford/AstraZeneca one he would have refused it based on latest developments.

Mike.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, One 48 said:

Following on from my first Covid jab this morning, honestly never even felt it? am used to flu jabs every year and can certainly feel them, usual normal sharp pain type thing, but covid jab this morning, Nurse said let your arm just hang down (I was obviously a bit tense) and she then said, there its done ... maybe paranoia is a side effect already LOL, but wondering if it got done at all properly?

Researched this and nearly everyone felt the jab and could see the injection point almost immediately, folk took pics to share ... my skin on my arm where the injection was aimed at is entirely clear, no pain, no usual entry point redness ... and I am a worrier ... accidents with injections do happen ... once I went to a Vets, different thing I know, but it was Cats annual jab, we both held puss down, and trainee vet tried to inject him, she failed, it squirted all over my fingers .. we looked each other in the eye, she said most of it went in ... i felt sorry for her as a trainee and let it slide, proud as I am of all the health care workers this morning, can someone please confirm if its possible to know you have had the Pfizer injection done properly please?

I felt the same, but my shoulder did start to hurt several hours later.

Given they are doing so many at present they're probably just very good at doing it now!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MikeR said:

That's my dad had his jab, no problems except a lengthy queue. I went with him, but stayed in the car as per the guidence whilst he went in. Looks like the local program's using postcode to sequence who comes in as we met a few of the neighbours!

He asked which vaccine he was getting and like @Des and @One 48 it was the Pfizer one which he was glad about. If it had been the Oxford/AstraZeneca one he would have refused it based on latest developments.

Mike.

MikeR, definitely by postal code and vulnerable too, in my small part of town Elgin, was surprised to see guy from opposite side of street there at my same concise app time.

So long as we all get treated soon, its all good :)

Edited by One 48

I wish I could say 12 hrs on I had evidence of usual symptoms, but right arm still, not a scratch, not a sign of an injection at all ... as i say, never even felt it when it was attempted and I'm used to injections, you always feel the slight sharp injection and their is always that slight scar.

People do make mistakes, its only human to do so, but supposing this Lass made a mistake with my vaccine injection, how would i know? by pure coincidence on Monday am going in for blood tests because of my condition ... annual thing, would they know from blood results?

Never felt a thing, have always felt injections in my arm ... damn :(

This is a biggie, its my life, very concerned.

Edited by One 48

I got used to being jabbed for blood donors, never thought anything about it, although they are putting something in not taking it out this time.

Last jab I got was about 5 years back before Central Asia. Might have been Yellow Fever. No reaction.

• Like 1

Well I had the Pfizer/BioNtech 🇩🇪 jab no 1 last week.....no issues....I did try to pass it on to someone more deserving up the waiting list but no...im mild asthmatic...even though I run about/swim/go caving like im in my 20s.

Didnt get a sticker☹

Anyway my issue is that UK Govt have stated 12 week perodicity twixt jabs but  Pfizer have not tested beyond 21 days and the European medical council have said 42 days.

I wonder how I should raise this as a point of concern ....12 weeks seems an awful long time and I wonder how they have qualified this and what effect it has on efficiency 🤔

Happy with Mr Johnsons reasoning but what is behind it....anyone else wonder? 

Got this from Open access BMJ btw just in case anyone wondered

Edited by junglierating
  • Like 2

Just now, Mike said:

Can you not disrespect the mouthpieces please?  We're trying to keep politics out of this, so calling a politician names is a political statement by default, as it'll upset some of the members here. :shrug: Whatever our reasons for our political POVs, let's just keep them off the forum.  You could just as well have stated "Happy with the reasoning but what is behind it....anyone else wonder?".  Much less divisive, and a lot less likely to get you in strife.

I already changed it mike before you e mail 

• Like 1