Covid Jab

DMC

I had my jag this morning

My appointment was for 09.44. I arrived early and was seen, jagged, and out by 09.40

Never felt a thing.

Just a feeling my temperature was a up a bit on my walk home

I had mine (AZ) yesterday at 0916. It wasn’t until 2145 that the shivers and shakes started. Today I’m aching all over and feel very uncomfortable, the blurb does say you might get flu symptoms for 2-3 days afterwards.

I had the AZ jab on Wednesday at the Epsom Downs racecourse vaccination centre at 12.45pm. Was OK until after midnight when I got the chills and everytime I went to sleep had vivid nightmares and woke up again. This continued all night. Thursday I felt down and fatigued however some of that was due to lack of sleep. Went to bed 7pm and slept through to 7am! Again some weird and vivid dreams. Feeling much better today, odd thing is for a few hours I had that musty taste/smell which I have had in the past after a bout of 'flu - that's proper 'flu, not man 'flu BTW 😉 My arm was very sore yesterday but is much better today. I am in the 60-65 age group.

Michael

• Like 1

Had my first shot on Wednesday.  Completely painless but 24hrs later, I was feeling very under the weather with flu like symptoms (aches, pains etc.) but I stress these were the possible side effects they advised about at the time & 24 hrs later (today) they have passed.

• Like 1

Jabbed this morning with Pfizer.  Various aches up and down arm, mild finger swelling.

Waiting for the 5G phone mast to sprout out of my arm like a newborn Alien  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

50 minutes ago, RAF4EVER said:

Still waiting for my jab,here in The Netherlands,and I am 67😞

Not to worry, I'm still waiting for my 1st jab, here in North Yorkshire, aged 66. :shrug: 

• Sad 1

Had my first shot today, which was the AZ vaccine. The staff at the venue were like a well-oiled machine. I have to say, my experience with the NHS over the past few months has left me most impressed.

The nurse who administered the injection did a fine job. I barely felt a thing. No side effects to report as yet.

While I was queueing outside, a Spitfire flew past. It was a most welcome sight and highly appropriate considering the date.

• Like 1

Picture this : I am in my second day in a HDU at the QMC. There are six of us in the ward, all old guys with old guy ailments.  Mine was pretty serious and I expect to be here recovering for a few days.  One of my biggest concerns before the op was, of course, the virus.  Hospitals are where sick people are and if you’ve got Covid you are really sick.  But no choice in my case so I’ve had the op, happy to have survived it.  The nurses are wonderful.  Can’t do enough for you and always quick time and with a smile.  I love them all.

Early in the morning I hear the ward nurse talking to, call him “D”, in a low voice, something about him being moved because he has been in contact with a patient with Covid.  I am now fully awake.  What the hell is this about?  We are now all sitting up and the nurse has been to each one with the awful news that we have all been in contact with this patient.  Sweet Jesus, how did that happen? I had to shield for two weeks and have a negative swab test just to get through the front door.  Soon we know who the unfortunate person is.  The gent in the corner bay near the widow.  But how did he slip through the net?  The curtains are whipped around his bay, Nurse is in and out, furtive whispering and the tearing of paper can be heard. I am about ready to make a run for it but my nerve holds, and because Nurse has said I’ll be ok, does she know that at 80 I’ve had the first jab?, I stay put.  Soon two heavy lifters enter the bay and wheel bed and dreadful looking bloke to who knows where.   We all wave as he passes.  He waves back with a “sorry about all this” look on his face.  A few minutes later a hazmat team comes in , strips the curtains from the rails and gives the bay a thorough going over.  Nurse is busy on the phone with names and soon on.

The rest of us just sit there dumbfounded wondering if it all really happened.  Two on the Covid side left the next day. D on my right right was wheeled off to theatre for an op and D on my left and I were given private rooms and swab tests (2 each) while the entire ward was given a deep cleaning.  I am home now under the care of Nurse Rached wondering if we all dodged a bullet and if our Covid ward mate will survive.  I never did find out who he was or how he managed to end up in the ward.

Life goes on....hopefully for a little while longer.

Don’t pass up those jabs.

Dennis

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, sinnerboy said:

and did it?

got mine next Thursday 👍

its only been 14 hours. now as long as i dont sit down at the dining table for a hearty meal......

• Haha 2

I think I probably had a couple of side effects last night. Around 4am I started to feel very cold indeed, as in uncontrollable shivering. Not cold sweats or feeling feverish, just brass monkeys. Couldn’t warm up at all. I ended up going to bed still wearing all my clothes. Normally I get overheated at night, so this felt quite strange. I also had a headache, though that could be coincidental.

I woke up feeling fine, apart from some slight tenderness around the injection site, but that’s to be expected.

Interestingly, I have heard that other people have experienced the same chills, so something to be aware of.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

I think I probably had a couple of side effects last night. Around 4am I started to feel very cold indeed, as in uncontrollable shivering. Not cold sweats or feeling feverish, just brass monkeys. Couldn’t warm up at all. I ended up going to bed still wearing all my clothes. Normally I get overheated at night, so this felt quite strange. I also had a headache, though that could be coincidental.

I woke up feeling fine, apart from some slight tenderness around the injection site, but that’s to be expected.

Interestingly, I have heard that other people have experienced the same chills, so something to be aware of.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/966183/COVID-19_AstraZeneca_Vaccine_Analysis_Print.pdf

I got my AZ jab last week. I’m lucky that I had no side effects at all including the sore arm so I guess I’m lucky.

One curious thing though. Anecdotal evidence reports unexpected benefits including a lessening of arthritic symptoms and 48 hours after my jab my dodgy knee stopped being stiff and aching. Coinkidink?

Trevor

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

I got my AZ jab last week. I’m lucky that I had no side effects at all including the sore arm so I guess I’m lucky.

One curious thing though. Anecdotal evidence reports unexpected benefits including a lessening of arthritic symptoms and 48 hours after my jab my dodgy knee stopped being stiff and aching. Coinkidink?

Trevor

I think so. My knees never stopped being stiff and achy. Lucky you!

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Trevor

Nah, it just kills the nerves in your leg.

• Haha 4

18 hours ago, IanHx said:

its only been 14 hours. now as long as i dont sit down at the dining table for a hearty meal......

at least you'd get a signal 😀

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Could be worse Dennis

I suppose.  Rached only told me about the Chinese method today.   At least when I had a swab i only had to make sure the trainee nurse got the sequence correct:  mouth first, nostril second.

(Funny comments on here)

Dennis

• Like 1

Just for information for those who do not know as stuff is not always well explained. The shivering people are feeling is because the body is reacting to what it thinks is an infection. One of the ways it does this is by raising body temperature as most infections can only thrive in a limited temperature range. It also increases the metabolic rate so the body is working harder. It is a defence mechanism common at least to all mammals. Because the core temperature is raised and the peripheral blood vessels constrict, we feel cold and the physiological response to that is to shiver. In the case of vaccination the effect is often transient and everything returns to normal fairly quickly. In the case of infection the body goes through cycles of raising temperature and then trying to cool down by dilating blood vessels in the skin and sweating (a raised temperature is bad long term and too high a temperature, about42-4 °C, will kill as some body processes start to fail). This is why it is important to drink plenty as fluid loss through evaporative cooling can be quite high, normal insensible fluid loss as it is called, can be up to 500ml daily so you can see why. Of course a raised temperature can disturb sleep and affects appetite which is one reason why people feel like 💩. 500+ million years of vertebrate evolution has produced some wonderfully intricate balancing mechanisms.

A bit of a simplified explanation and those who are still in practice will see the gaps, but it is now a few years since I have to remember this stuff 

Who is going to have a reaction to the Covid19 vaccine is largely unknowable and tough on those who have one.

Mrs T has said that even those patients she has spoken to who have reacted to the vaccine still reckon it is a better risk than a lengthy stay in ICU or being dead. 

I am 67 and had a sore arm and felt a bit off it on the morning afterwards, but felt OK by lunchtime. 

• Thanks 6