Covid Jab

DMC

We'll all get a third jab in due course, if not fourth, fifth and annually. Particularly for those of us older and vulnerable. The pandemic will inevitably become endemic now. 

Young adults probably won't bother getting vaccinated into the future once this particular crisis peters out, because in reality for them it's mostly a minor illness. A bit like the flu. I can easily see a situation where older people will get their double dose flu and covid annually. 

I've got my EU covid passport now both on my phone and printed out. Now all I need is somewhere to go! 

As for busproplinerfan the last of the cell phone hold outs. I simply think it's the best thing ever. Apart from using it as an actual phone, today I paid my car tax on it. Then bought schoolbooks. Both in the past required a trip out and massive queues. No more. 

Now I'm using it to write this. The uses are endless. It's like science fiction. The best invention ever. 

Edited by noelh
  • Like 2

As another holdout, it doesn't offer me anything I can't do better with my home computer (no tiny screen with tiny buttons) and a simpler phone, at considerable greater expense both initially and in monthly charges.  I can see that it has greater value for those who travel much more or have more active social networks, but these don't apply to me.  As for being forced to get one in order to visit places - don't expect me to find this a Good Idea!   (I might actually get one passed down by my wife when she starts using her newer one, but as this uses an operating system not supported by the NHS Covid app, I can see it not proving a lot of use in this role.)   I actually could afford one, but no-one has yet produced a coherent argument as to what benefit it would be to me to justify the cost.

The problems with this "particular crisis" include that we are now in the stage where variants are encouraged by partial vaccinations, and those appearing are turning out to be much more than a "minor illness" to the young.  I agree that we elders are likely to get regular vaccinations, but the day when it ends up as comparatively unthreatening as the 'flu (bad enough though that can be) is still further off than some fondly imagine.  And until a greatly superior level of vaccination appears worldwide, we are still going to be greatly limited in just where we can go.  But as the country and the world seems full of unthinking uncaring people who think "it won't happen to me and I must get my selfish way", don't expect this too soon.

• Like 6

They're still required by law to offer alternatives to smartphone-only stuff, something with Disability Acts and similar legislation. 

--

Anyways... up for the second dose of genetics shortly. Still no 3rd arm though. Shame really, would have come in handy with modelling.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

As another holdout, it doesn't offer me anything I can't do better with my home computer (no tiny screen with tiny buttons) and a simpler phone, at considerable greater expense both initially and in monthly charges. 

I actually see what you're saying Graham, none of us actually need a smartphone. The alternatives remain. 

I just find it eternally useful. From identifying a plant in the garden to finding a fix for my car and navigating across country. 

I can even watch my TV on it even though I'm in a foreign country. That plus calling home for free from Africa. 

So I'm an enthusiast. 

On the other hand I do think the 'pingdemic' situation in England right now is an example of where it goes a bit wrong. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, noelh said:

an example of where it goes a bit wrong

Technically speaking, it works perfectly. Does what it said on the tin. 

Bit like the IDS (intrusion detection system) we have at work. Lots of alerts (pings) resulting in panicking middle-management.

Well, yes, that's what it's there for. If you wanted an Intrusion Prevention system, you should have gotten that.

As they say, all a matter of interpretation.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 1:25 AM, noelh said:

You're quite right. I'm amazed at the slow uptake of vaccines in (Australia). Sydney now in lockdown for another four weeks!

The slow uptake is because of the lack of availability. Unfortuanately the government completely bungled the acqusition of adequate supplies of vaccines and the expert medical advice was badly flawed in that it concentrated on the extremely rare side effects of the AZ vaccine. This was amplified by every media outlet from the quite respectable ones to the right wing gutter press. Sydney lockdown over before Xmas we hope.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

The slow uptake is because of the lack of availability. Unfortuanately the government completely bungled the acqusition of adequate supplies of vaccines and the expert medical advice was badly flawed in that it concentrated on the extremely rare side effects of the AZ vaccine. This was amplified by every media outlet from the quite respectable ones to the right wing gutter press. Sydney lockdown over before Xmas we hope.

That's really unfortunate. Right now in Ireland we've overtaken the UK in terms of vaccines rollout, slightly. Next week I can get my teenage kids vaccinated. England is basically open despite some missteps and a lot of casualties. 

Australia was  the poster boy in keeping deaths down. Which to fair is a success. But as you say vaccine acquisition has spoiled that. 

I think I can safely say for us here in Ireland and Britain the idea of another lockdown let alone before Christmas is almost inconceivable. 

Right now it's expected that everyone who wants it will be vaccinated by the end of this month. 

Edited by noelh

My wife and I have both had our first AZ jabs 2mths ago.  Jabbed at 2.30pm, I woke up at midnight with chills and shakes, aches & pains which lasted till 4pm then all good.  Wife had similar reaction but much less.  I'm 56 and she is 58.  12 weeks between 1st & 2nd jabs, so we are up for our 2nd in a few weeks.

Then 2 days later I swam my fastest 400m time-trial in about 18mths by 15 seconds 🤔.  Should have given our Olympic athletes AZ instead of Pfizer....though our swimmers still did incredibly well.

Edited by thommo

Getting my second dose of AZ later on this morning. Just have to avoid the dive bombing Magpies on the walk to my GP's practice that's almost 1/2 hours walk from home.

That's my second shot over and done with. No swooping Magpies.

Edited by Mick4350

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I had my booster jab (Pfizer) this morning and my first ever flu jab. I hardly noticed the flu jab go into my arm but I think they used a bazooka to administer the Pfizer.

Dave

39 minutes ago, Dogtail2 said:

Interesting that Pfizer want to keep secret  until 2076 all of the data and information it relied upon to license it's vaccine.

Zero point to that post, as that's just boiler-plate trade-marking/trade-secrets, or whatever they're called.  Please be advised that we don't want any politics/baseless conspiracy theory on the forum, so please keep it to yourself.  We're just here to chat about getting the jabs etc.

• Like 3

Another brave little soldier here🙂

Had my booster this morning and didn't even feel a thing.

No sore arm or ill effects thus far, that said most people I know who have felt rough afterwards did so the following day/night, fingers crossed!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Had my booster yesterday. No sore arm and no after effects either unlike some I know who had 24 hour flu symptoms.

Trevor the brave boy

Got my booster and also my annual flu jab - one in each arm. Glad I didn’t get three jabs as where would the last one go :whistle:

While I didn’t have any reaction to covid1 jab and covid2 jab felt like I was having flu today but much perkier tonight. 
John the big feardie boy

5 hours ago, davecov said:

I had my booster jab (Pfizer) this morning and my first ever flu jab. I hardly noticed the flu jab go into my arm but I think they used a bazooka to administer the Pfizer.

Dave

My first Covid jab was painless.  My booster was painless at the time of injection.  My 2nd jab wasn't painless and bled a little.  I think it comes down to the training of the person administering it.  Although what training you need to stab someone with a needle I don't know?!

Also had a sore left arm for a day or two after my Pfizer booster last weekend (my first two were AZ).  I'm still here, though.

Got mine coming up on 4th Dec - sadly down to age classification (over 50's.....) The wife is also booked in on that day - she's having hers due to having an immunosuppressant condition. She's been diagnosed since 2008 as having Crohns Disease, which can (in extreme cases) severely suppress  the bodies own ability to fight any infections/diseases and can rely on a cocktail of drugs, and also lead to having parts of the colon/bowel removed. Thankfully she is not that bad, and only has a mild case 🙏, but it still means she is in the section that has her jab early for those under 40 (only just though she turns 40 next year.....)

Had my booster last week and the following day I had the hot and cold shivers but then I was fine, pretty much the same as when I had my first jab (Oxford)

Cheers

Dennis

Had my third one a couple weeks back.  Also been doing the other tests due to going abroad for a week. Crikey, such a palaver filling in forms on line!  Jab passports etc. And having to do a day 2 test after getting back. More stress trying to fill the form for this on line. Talk about making things easy.....not! Anyway all done tested negative on alltests so am now carrying on. Including wearing mask. It was a bit stuffy wearing  it on a 4hour flight each way to the Canaries .

12 minutes ago, RobL said:

My first Covid jab was painless.  My booster was painless at the time of injection.  My 2nd jab wasn't painless and bled a little.  I think it comes down to the training of the person administering it.  Although what training you need to stab someone with a needle I don't know?!

Also had a sore left arm for a day or two after my Pfizer booster last weekend (my first two were AZ).  I'm still here, though.

Having taught student nurses and doctors on the wards and as a lecturer, it is not difficult, but less straightforward than you think. Covid and flu jabs use a fine bore relatively short needle that is designed to go  into the muscle, usually the deltoid in the upper arm. This is a good site as it is easily accessible and has a fair mass so that you are more likely to hit muscle rather than anything else. This is the easiest injection to give so long  as it is done by the book, but there can still be problems. For example, even the most skilled person can it a capillary, causing bleeding as they are invisible. 

Had my booster on 6th November, felt a bit off it the next day so something is working, in any event better than being dead. 

• Like 1

The initial soreness from the actual injection had disappeared before I had left the hospital. No other effects yet but I am guzzling lots of water and taking Paracetamol regularly. Tomorrow will be the day when things kick off - if indeed they do. When I had jabs one and two I had no side effects at all but that could be because I had Covid-19 prior to having them.

Dave

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Zero point to that post, as that's just boiler-plate trade-marking/trade-secrets, or whatever they're called.  Please be advised that we don't want any politics/baseless conspiracy theory on the forum, so please keep it to yourself.  We're just here to chat about getting the jabs etc.

Baseless conspiracy theory? Not quite.

It involves a lawsuit against the US licencing authority (FDA) and nothing to do with patent law.

However I shall refrain from posting anything vaccine related in future if it is deemed too sensitive here in a Covid thread.

• Like 2