Covid Jab

DMC

Received my invitation ( :P)  this week - well behind what they proclaim everywhere, I'm a 70s child so if you read that the 20-somethings can get their shot over here, take it with a grain of salt. I'm betting they're doing it alphabetically as my last name starts with a Z so maybe that's why it's late.

Appointment is for July 10th. So I'll be extra careful in the meantime - would be a shame to stumble at the last hurdles.

• Like 3

Was going to get my first covid jab today, very happy to have it this soon as I'm 18 I was expecting to wait longer, turned up and they'd relocated 2 miles away without telling anyone. When I got there 10 minutes late, staff weren't surprised because they know about the problem but the people in charge aren't doing anything about it... 

Then even better, turns out because of my medical history I can't have the vaccine anyway, not there at least. I have to have it in a hospital or with a doctor if I'm getting it. So, off to talk to my GP. Oh wait, can't do that. The place is closed for training on Wednesday afternoons.....

I just want my jab please!

A fun afternoon. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

On 6/21/2021 at 12:08 AM, alt-92 said:

Received my invitation ( :P)  this week - well behind what they proclaim everywhere, I'm a 70s child so if you read that the 20-somethings can get their shot over here, take it with a grain of salt. I'm betting they're doing it alphabetically as my last name starts with a Z so maybe that's why it's late.

Appointment is for July 10th. So I'll be extra careful in the meantime - would be a shame to stumble at the last hurdles.

You're not alone - I have one week to go for my first shot, and always read with amazement that well over 50% of the German overall population have had their first one already, and remember there are around 17 mio or so under 18 that have no vaccination recommendation in the first place. I have a "profession priority" by law but really wonder what that's worth, considering that there are - umphhh - around 40 mio with better priority or better connections...🤮

• Like 1

I guess it's more a PR thing to encourage people - then again, I believe they're painting a too rosy picture but that's the cynic experienced optimist in me talking :P

3 hours ago, dogsbody said:

It's like nobody know what's going on or where it's going on at.

:D

Except when it comes to taxes :P

• Like 1

Got my second jab with Moderna last week. While it is said that the side effects are more intense after the 2nd shot they were even less severe this time. Except for one day with a slightly sore arm and a bit of headache, everything was fine.

So there is the slim chance I'm able to travel a bit this summer, except Delta throws a spanner in the works.

Quite funny, a few days later I received a notification from the Health Service of my hometown that I finally can book an appointment...for my first shot. Thanks... not <_<

Cheers

Markus

• Like 1

After the first failed attempt due to unknown allergies, and getting it OKed by a GP, I have finally had my first jab. 

I may have slightly panicked at the needle, totally irrational fear, and it took three attempts but in the end I asked for it to be done in the leg; my thinking being if I've not been jabbed there before, therefore there is no fear derived from past bad experiences. It was fine, unlike arm jabs which I just can't deal with. They said when I get my second one just to ask to have it in the leg and they will happily accommodate that request.A

At least I got it in the end; the vaccination centre has had people walk out due to a fear of needles. I told them not to let me leave without it 

• Like 3

I think it's pretty logical not to be too keen on the idea of someone sticking a needle in your arm :) I suppose it only becomes a problem if you dislike the idea enough to react badly to it. Not looking at it definitely helps, I was fortunate to have mine in the Caird Hall in Dundee which is pretty ornate and at one end of the hall was the biggest organ I have ever seen. Titter ye not, for my pre-emptive amusement at the idea of making a joke out of that occupied me for long enough to get my injection over with :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Haha 4

I'm not either but having to go to a strange location in a different town and talk to people early in the morning was an unpleasant enough experience when it came to the jab looking away sufficed...…..actually afterwards sitting in the hot waiting room in a mask had a slight reaction, which was abated by a glass of water and the staff giving me a faceshield to wear, so far no effects apart from the fact my left arm is only at about 85% mobility 

I used to hate needles, until my spot of heart bother a couple of years back when the sheer weight of numbers of bloods, lines etc  made it all routine… One thing I did notice is that there are two schools of thought in and around Bradford when it comes to sticking the needle in. Half the folks who took my blood said “sharp scratch” just before putting it in, and I always felt it. The others said “deep breath” instead, and I didn’t even notice it more often than not. I think the first gets you anticipating, and so of course you feel it. The second gives you something else to concentrate on…

best,

M.

On 02/07/2021 at 10:48, PhantomBigStu said:

Had the Pfizer jab a few mins ago……

How's the 2nd head coming along? :frantic:

• Haha 2

Although as a ex nurse you would think I would know better l, I cannot watch when I am having blood taken. I don't know why, the bit of pain doesn't bother me that much, I just don't like it. I can appreciate (if not understand) needle phobia, but I sometimes wonder if people don't like needles as a result of childhood experiences or somebodies crap injection technique. I can remember telling students that no point in lying to patients saying to patients as they will not trust you when it does cause pain. I also told them never to say 'you will just feel a little gentleman&#39;s parts' as the patient might take offence. 😉💉😯

The big problem us that some people expect to live in a world totally free of pain and demand instant relief without any effort on their part (my world view is slightly jaundiced by old torn cartilage in both knees playing me up. They do improve, it just takes time and exercise. The docs will not operate as they say it will make it worse which I do not want until the time comes some years hence for a new knee). 

I spoke to a friend the other day who had his first AZ jab recently. He had quite a rough time of it, being feverish and generally feeling terrible for 48 hours. He’s the only person I know who has had a bad reaction to it. I tried to reassure him that the second one should go a lot better.

7 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

He had quite a rough time of it, being feverish and generally feeling terrible for 48 hours. He’s the only person I know who has had a bad reaction to it. I tried to reassure him that the second one should go a lot better.

Some of Caroline's relatives had the AZ, and they had a tough 48 hours, but the 2nd one was ok.  It just seems to hit some people that way :shrug:

On 03/07/2021 at 12:07, lasermonkey said:

I’m not great with needles either, but I have found that I’m ok as long as I don’t look. That’s probably just as well, considering the amount of blood tests and injections I’ve had over the last decade!

doesn't help me not looking 😬 In the leg didn't bother me and most can apparently be done there so guess that's what I'll doing from now on

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Some of Caroline's relatives had the AZ, and they had a tough 48 hours, but the 2nd one was ok.  It just seems to hit some people that way :shrug:

My first AZ jab was fine - not even a sore arm. 24 hours after the second Let’s just say I wasn’t feeling too good...

Trevor

4 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I had a vasectomy........😬

When I had the snip, I asked the doctor if I could watch the procedure whilst propped up on the operating table, he said no because when you lean forwards, they retract and disappear inside you and thus make the operation too difficult for the surgeon. So I had to lie back and stare at the ceiling whilst he did the deed, under local anaesthesia. Before the surgery, the nurse asked me if I had a shave beforehand and I said no, as the doctor made no mention of this in the previous appointment.

22 hours ago, Neil.C said:

All you Gents who are a bit afraid of needles; don't ever go to the dentists, they stick the needle in your gums!! 😉

I'll see your gums, and raise you an eye!!! Many years ago, I had a myobium cyst on my eyelid, which needed to be cut out. Seeing that needle approaching my eye was not one of the better moments in my life.

John.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

I'll see your gums, and raise you and eye!!! Many years ago, I had a myobium cyst on my eyelid, which needed to be cut out. Seeing that needle approaching my eye was not one of the better moments in my life.

John.

I can't even!

Nope.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

I'll see your gums, and raise you an eye!!! Many years ago, I had a myobium cyst on my eyelid, which needed to be cut out. Seeing that needle approaching my eye was not one of the better moments in my life.

John.

You win! 😲

• Haha 1