Covid Jab

DMC

Well, I finally had my first jab this past Tuesday. Went to the P&J Live, straight in, no queue and straight back out again in about half an hour. Told I was getting the Pfizer one so I thought "fine, the side effects should be manageable." Errr.... no. Started feeling queasy that night, went to bed and woke up feeling utterly crud! Had to phone in sick and I've spent the last week slowly starting to feel human again! Still feel muzzy headed but it's no where near as bad as it was.

Mike.

Had my second Oxford  jab on Saturday May 08th. Since then had no side effects at all. Must have a strong constitution !  

I had my first shot of the Moderna vaccine last Tuesday. My upper arm was slightly sore and stiff the day after, but nothing more than that.

And (almost as important!) I got a haircut on Wednesday, my first since last October - not counting my own desperate remedial "gardening".

• Like 1

2-Jags Johnnie 😃

Got my second dose of the AZ vaccine at Forth Valley College in Falkirk this afternoon. 

No unpleasant side effects so far. 

About 10 hours after I had the first jag I just hit the wall, absolutely no energy and could hardly put one foot in front of the other.  Lasted about 24 hours. 

So far, so good this time though.

John

• Like 2

11 hours ago, klr said:

I had my first shot of the Moderna vaccine last Tuesday. My upper arm was slightly sore and stiff the day after, but nothing more than that.

And (almost as important!) I got a haircut on Wednesday, my first since last October - not counting my own desperate remedial "gardening".

For me it is the first time being a baldy has had its advantages. Everyone one else wandering around like extras from Starsky and Hutch while five minutes with the clippers and I am sorted.😀👍

• Like 2

Reading through people's experiences of having the vaccination -whether first or second dose, or one of the three vaccines now offered, has been fascinating. 

And I am sure, for those who've yet to have one, reassuring.

I am very glad that I've had both vaccinations now, and that the worst effects of this damn virus seem to be receding.

And I don't know if anyone else saw the Great British menu last night, but Professor Sarah Gilbert,  one of the scientists who developed the Oxford/Astra Zeneca virus, was one of the guests at the banquet.

While that isn't (probably) one of the great accolades of the scientific workd, I thought it a nice touch and from what she said, some nice food, too!

• Like 6

I had the second jab (Moderna) two weeks ago. The first one resulted in a hurty upper arm, the second in 12 hours of sleeping as I felt quite bad. Woke up the next day feeling fine.

Now I have to go out into the wide world again, and I'm pretty sure I don't want to :).

• Like 2

Got my first shot (Moderna) last Wednesday. Only moderate side effects like slight pain at the injection site, very slight headache and general tiredness. Everything was fine again by Saturday evening.

I was quite surprised that I got my shot already as currently appointments are still prioritized by age groups and/or other risks (pre-existing diseases, ...). So being just 36 and healthy I was quite at the bottom of priority. Thankfully the Vienna Airport (where our company has an office) started a vaccination program for all employees of companies which have an office there and opened their own vaccination centre. I got my appointment within 1 week of registering there.

I was also registered directly at my company (companies can also apply to vaccine their employees; was offered an appointment 1 day after my first shot) and my hometown (registered since January, still not a peep from them).

Next shot will be within 6 weeks.

Cheers

Markus

• Like 2

My daughter and I got our first shot yesterday. Here in San Antonio, Texas, we can get the shots at the Wal-Mart store pharmacies, no appointment required. What really surprised us was the fact that we could get the Pfizer shot at the Wal-Mart we most frequent, but the store that she works in only has the Moderna vaccine. Thus far neither of us has had a reaction to the first shot and our next one is in three weeks. Shots are also available at CVS Pharmacies but last I heard an appointment was needed. At least one of the local chain stores is telling its employees that if they've had the second shot, they no longer have to wear a mask. I'm hopeful that it won't be much longer and masks will be a thing of the past.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Here in San Antonio, Texas, we can get the shots at the Wal-Mart store pharmacies, no appointment required.

Just one question because I'm curious: If you get your shot at Wal-Mart or in an Drive-Thru vaccine center are you asked to remain there for a few minutes in case you have a serious reaction to the vaccine? Here we are normally asked to stay for 15 -30 minutes so that medical personnel can intervene in case of serious reactions.

I've always wondered if this is also done this way when you get your shot in the supermarket or the car?

Thanks!

Cheers

Markus

Edited by Shorty84

11 minutes ago, Shorty84 said:

Just one question because I'm curious: If you get your shot at Wal-Mart or in an Drive-Thru vaccine center are you asked to remain there for a few minutes in case you have a serious reaction to the vaccine? Here we are normally asked to stay for 15 -30 minutes so that medical personnel can intervene in case of serious reactions.

I've always wondered if this is also done this way when you get your shot in the supermarket or the car?

Thanks!

Cheers

Markus

While I had my vaccine shots at a clinic I do know people who went through both a drive through and-in their case-an instore vaccination at Dillon's, a grocery store chain that has pharmacies. In both cases they were required to wait fifteen minutes before they were released.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Shorty84 said:

Thanks!

Cheers

Markus

Who on earth would want  to hang around for 15 minutes in Wal-Mart?

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

We went to the instore pharmacy and they had a couple of chairs just outside the room where the vaccinations were given. No one appeared to monitor those who got the vaccine after they left the room; it appears it was just expected that everyone would comply. I watched one guy leave the room and proceed to go do his shopping. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, silverkite211 said:

While I had my vaccine shots at a clinic I do know people who went through both a drive through and-in their case-an instore vaccination at Dillon's, a grocery store chain that has pharmacies. In both cases they were required to wait fifteen minutes before they were released.

2 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

We went to the instore pharmacy and they had a couple of chairs just outside the room where the vaccinations were given. No one appeared to monitor those who got the vaccine after they left the room; it appears it was just expected that everyone would comply. I watched one guy leave the room and proceed to go do his shopping. 

Thanks, I was just curious as in the media clips I've seen it looked like people getting their shot and rushing away.

Here in Austria the pharmacies also tried to get part of the vaccination effort, but the doctors have a strong lobby and insisted that they should be the only ones to administer injections (official reasoning was that pharmacies could not provide adequate emergency treatment in case of adverse reactions to the vaccine).

Yesterday, at about 7:00 pm, I got a call from the pharmacy that's just up the street. The person said that if I wanted it, I could get my second shot in half an hour. They had just started another bottle and wanted to make sure it got used up by closing time.

So I did. So far, no ill effects, though my upper left arm, where I got the shot, hurts bad. So did the first one, so hopefully, it goes away by tomorrow.

Chris

39 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

They had just started another bottle and wanted to make sure it got used up by closing time.

Wish pubs did that.

• Haha 4

Regarding the 15 minute wait, it is apparently  built into the administration advice etc by the manufacturer, at least in the UK. Interesting that Austrian doctors lobby so hard to give injections, is this for everything or just Covid? Over here giving injections is definitely not the prerogative of doctors. 

• Like 1

On 5/26/2021 at 6:11 AM, Shorty84 said:

Thanks!

Cheers

Markus

I was told I couldn't leave the pharmacy until 15 minutes had passed. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I was told I couldn't leave the pharmacy until 15 minutes had passed. 

Yep, same here in France. As has been said, it's probably down to manufacturers advice, so therefore, universal.

John.

• Like 1