Covid Jab

DMC

On 4/25/2021 at 10:25 AM, Skodadriver said:

Got the second Pfizer jag on Tuesday as planned. Very slight muscle stiffness in my shoulder but otherwise no side effects. No sensible information from the vaccinator about how I prove I've been vaccinated beyond saying it's up to the Scottish government.

Meanwhile my 40-something sister in the Highlands cant even get a first jab.

GPs saying theres no stock and no idea when more available, or if it will be hospital doing it.

But heard from someone working in NHS Scotland whats actually going on is the GP practices are squabbling with each other over who does the work and who gets paid for it....

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, IanHx said:

Meanwhile my 40-something sister in the Highlands cant even get a first jab.

GPs saying theres no stock and no idea when more available, or if it will be hospital doing it.

But heard from someone working in NHS Scotland whats actually going on is the GP practices are squabbling with each other over who does the work and who gets paid for it....

Given the debacle over the flu jag last year that wouldn't surprise me. I'm quite bit older than your sister and I live in the NHS Tayside area. Although they aren't perfect NHS Tayside are definitely among the better Scottish health boards and from my perspective their performance with the vaccine has been exemplary. Hope she gets sorted soon.

• Like 1

Second one for me this afternoon at Grantham.  Last one made all my known 'weak points', left & right Ankle, right knee, left hip ache to buggery, for a day or two, hopefully this time will be different.

• Like 1

Got my 2nd jab yesterday, which was uneventful apart from very nearly getting beaten up by a hail shower on the way out.  I made it to the car just in time though 🌧️

Bit of a sore upper arm today, but otherwise not too bad. :yes:

• Like 2

Just now, Tzulscha said:

What are they making you guys go through over there?

Icy precipitation seems a bit unnecessary..

We're getting the April showers a bit late, that's all. :)  We've been known to get snow in June on the odd occasion. :cold:  That's why we all talk about the weather so much... it's totally unpredictable and we don't understand it :shrug:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mike said:

We're getting the April showers a bit late, that's all. :)  We've been known to get snow in June on the odd occasion. :cold:  That's why we all talk about the weather so much... it's totally unpredictable and we don't understand it :shrug:

The weather joke here in Michigan is, 'If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes and it'll change.'

• Haha 2

got my 2nd jab earlier this week,  some 3 weeks earlier than I was expecting. No different to first time round -  sore arm for 48 hrs then back to normal .Or so the 5G broadcast in my arm tells me :)

Edited by IanHx
  • Haha 3

On 5/14/2021 at 6:47 AM, IanHx said:

got my 2nd jab earlier this week,  some 3 weeks earlier than I was expecting. No different to first time round -  sore arm for 48 hrs then back to normal .Or so the 5G broadcast in my arm tells me :)

Well here's an interesting one...  just did one of those REACT2 covid antibody blood  tests , would have thought that after 2 jabs it would have shown something, but nada......

edit : apparently the antibodies being looked for are different from the ones generated in response to vaccination.  So no conclusions to be drawn yet.

Edited by IanHx
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, IanHx said:

just did one of those REACT2 covid antibody blood  tests

Are those the ones where you swab your throat and hooter (not hooters), and swish it about in a compressible mini-tube, then squirt it on a pregnancy test? aka the ones the govt were dishing out to parents with kids in school, and now anyone that wants one?

It'd never occurred to me about the possibility of a vaccine response triggering a positive, but I'm guessing the people designing these tests are hyper-clever and have thought ahead to exclude false positives from vaccines.  What do I know though.  I'm only slightly more intelligent than a piece of slime-mould. :dunce:

I didn't get anything other than a mildly sore arm for my second jab, so that was nice. :)

• Like 1

On 5/11/2021 at 1:14 PM, PLC1966 said:

Second one for me this afternoon at Grantham.  Last one made all my known 'weak points', left & right Ankle, right knee, left hip ache to buggery, for a day or two, hopefully this time will be different.

On the brightside, no issues after the second jab.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Are those the ones where you swab your throat and hooter (not hooters), and swish it about in a compressible mini-tube, then squirt it on a pregnancy test? aka the ones the govt were dishing out to parents with kids in school, and now anyone that wants one?

It'd never occurred to me about the possibility of a vaccine response triggering a positive, but I'm guessing the people designing these tests are hyper-clever and have thought ahead to exclude false positives from vaccines.  What do I know though.  I'm only slightly more intelligent than a piece of slime-mould. :dunce:

According to various reports I have (admittedly) briefly read through, having a Covid vaccine will not (or should not) give a positive reaction to a C-19 test. Whilst the Moderna & Pfizer vaccines do contain a small amount of the virus DNA, there is not enough of it, nor is there any active virus DNA to replicate, to provide enough cells to trigger a positive result in a test. The Oxford-AZ takes a different approach, but even then, the body is tricked into producing the correct anti-bodies to the Corona virus. The tests themselves are looking for actual active living viral cells, and so the antibodies should not trigger any response to any test. I'm no expert in the matter, but will do research in to this sort of thing on a regular basis to alleviate my own concerns (and I get regular questions about what's going on from the wife, so have to have answers at the ready!)   

• Like 1

I had my 2nd Astra jab yesterday at 2pm. This morning at 3.20am I was awake shivering in bed with sore jacobs and general body aching. Based on jab 1 I’m sure tomorrow I’ll be fine. No energy though what so ever, very unlike me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, speedy said:

I had my 2nd Astra jab yesterday at 2pm.

I wonder when you'll start turning into a mediocre four-door hatchback? :clown:

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, Mike said:

No, these are the ones where you stab your finger and drop blood on a plastic testing kit  (not Airfix ! )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I wonder when you'll start turning into a mediocre four-door hatchback? :clown:

oh, I dont know about mediocre, the missus's  1.8 was nippy enough 20 years ago  :)

Edited by IanHx

11 minutes ago, IanHx said:

No, these are the ones where you stab your finger and drop blood on a plastic testing kit  (not Airfix ! )

Not seen those.  You live & learn.  I think I prefer the nose & throat ticklers, as I bruise easily ;) Which one is more reliable, do you know?

19 hours ago, treker_ed said:

According to various reports I have (admittedly) briefly read through, having a Covid vaccine will not (or should not) give a positive reaction to a C-19 test. Whilst the Moderna & Pfizer vaccines do contain a small amount of the virus DNA, there is not enough of it, nor is there any active virus DNA to replicate, to provide enough cells to trigger a positive result in a test. The Oxford-AZ takes a different approach, but even then, the body is tricked into producing the correct anti-bodies to the Corona virus. The tests themselves are looking for actual active living viral cells, and so the antibodies should not trigger any response to any test. I'm no expert in the matter, but will do research in to this sort of thing on a regular basis to alleviate my own concerns (and I get regular questions about what's going on from the wife, so have to have answers at the ready!)   

Thats how the PCR antigen tests work, looking for fragments of virus DNA.

The thing I was talking about was an antibody blood test, which looks for antibodies produced in response to coronavirus.

Thought the point of the vaccinations was to train the immune system into producing antibodies, but then I'm no medic.

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

Not seen those.  You live & learn.  I think I prefer the nose & throat ticklers, as I bruise easily ;) Which one is more reliable, do you know?

The "stick a swab up your nose" PCR antigen tests detect if you currently have an infection.

The antibody tests on the other hand pick up whether you've ever been exposed to covid in the past.

Came with very specific instruction that it was NOT to be taken as gospel and if you thought

you might have covid then get a swab test.

• Like 1

Just now, IanHx said:

The "stick a swab up your nose" PCR antigen tests detect if you currently have an infection.

The antibody tests on the other hand pick up whether you've ever been exposed to covid in the past.

Came with very specific instruction that it was NOT to be taken as gospel and if you thought

you might have covid then get a swab test.

Ah right.  I don't go out much, so don't stand much chance of getting it, and haven't kept up with the various tests, or the rules of what we can and can't do, although they do seem to change all the time.  :wacko: