Covid Jab

DMC

1 hour ago, Skodadriver said:

Got the second Pfizer jag on Tuesday as planned. Very slight muscle stiffness in my shoulder but otherwise no side effects. No sensible information from the vaccinator about how I prove I've been vaccinated beyond saying it's up to the Scottish government.

They gave me a card with the first jab and added the second jab details. Medic yesterday told me to guard it with my life, as it's my proof.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

They gave me a card with the first jab and added the second jab details. Medic yesterday told me to guard it with my life, as it's my proof.

What I did was take pictures of the front and back using my smartphone, I always have the phone with me and that way I can simply pull up the photos to show proof. If it's ever needed.

• Like 2

Pretty similar to Miko for me.

I had my AZ jab on Friday at 2pm, a headache and muscle aches started at around 8pm, I started getting the shivers and running a temperature around 10pm  started feeling nauseous around midnight and threw up around 2 eventually fell asleep at about 3am. Woke up at about 6am with a splitting headache (but no nausea thankfully), took some paracetamol, dropped off to sleep again about an hour later then slept solidly until 3pm.

The rest of the day I had a mild headache and muscle aches, today I'm back to normal. 

None of this would have put me off having the jab, well worth it for that few hours of feeling really crappy plus a day or so of feeling a little under the weather but generally OK. Also worth bearing in mind most people have the jab with no side effects at all other than a little aching around the injection site, (which oddly was the one side effect I didn't have).

Edited by -Ian-
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Miko said:

Mrs Miko had Astra Zenica around the same time and had no side effects except the sore arm? I don't know if it makes a difference but she had corona virus in December, 'eleven days of hell' she called it!

There is anecdotal evidence that it does help! A recent article that I read discussed this and actually stated that the body remembers having had covid, and so will start to produce antibodies quicker, and in larger quantities due to the fact that it recognises the proteins in the vaccine as belonging to the Covid-19 virus. As a result it stimulates the bodies immune response system, and provides a better response to the virus. 

It doesn't matter if Pfizer or Oxford-AZ, the response was the same - if a person has had C-19, the immune response was higher and produced more antibodies quicker than if a person receiving the vaccine had not had the virus and was receiving the vaccine "cold" so to say - IE had not previously contracted C-19. It also went on to say that the bodies responses were different. Those who had the virus didn't have the same side effects receiving the vaccine as those who had not had the virus. Again, they think that was down to the way the body was producing the anti-body response to the vaccine.

Edited by treker_ed
  • Like 3

After yesterday's jab I've only had a sore arm this time around.  I had the shivers etc last time around & was very reassured by that.  Imagine 'wanting' side effects - I must be mad :mental:

• Haha 3

We both had our second Pfizer jab today. A total idiot administered to Her indoors and caused pain. I had a Professional and barely felt it.

EDIT, Next morning, we both have sore/tender upper arms.

• Like 4

I got my second jab this morning.

I arrived 20 minutes early, had to queue, which moved quickly.

I was in, jabbed, out and then got some shopping done all before my due time.

I'm feeling perfectly ok.

• Like 2

Finally, swmbo and I got out AZ jabs yesterday at 1730, at the local pharmacy. Everything went like clockwork, and so far I haven't experience any reactions, not even a sore arm. But the other half though, has had a sore arm since the jab (still has), and feels a bit like crap and cold now, so I've lit the fire for her. Got to wait now until July before we get the second jab.

John.

• Like 3

Got my 2nd dose organised for next week now, so I will probably get the same mild side-effects again, although it'll be hard to tell as I've already got a stiff neck from operating a pair of loppers over my head.  :owww:

• Haha 3

On 4/25/2021 at 12:56 PM, Miko said:

I had my Astra Zenica a in mid March, still no notification on a second dose just yet

I had my first jab on 17 Feb 💉 but was only notified on 30 April for my second: for this Friday, 7 May.   I had the Pfizer-BioNTech Covid vaccine; slight itchy sensation for a while, otherwise no obvious side effects for me - hope that's the case with number 2 🙏 

Well done to everyone involved in the programme.

:goodjob:

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 3

My second one on Sunday just gone went OK. Absolutely no side effects except for a little bit of itchyness very late in the day. All done now until Autumn when we all expect to get a booster.... and the flu jab!

• Like 2

Had my first today, AZ. Although we're behind the UK here in Ireland it has certainly picked up speed of late. It was a very efficient operation though perhaps explained by the numbers of military personnel involved. I was in and out in less than half an hour including the obligatory 15 minute post jab sit down. 

No sore arm and no obvious reaction so far although I'm half imagining a headache. But we'll see tomorrow morning. 

But I'm relieved really that it's done and life is about to get better. 

One observation though I was looking around at my fellow 61 year olds in the queue. I thought 'I don't look as old as they do' 😊

I bet they all thought the same thing. 🤔

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Well I did get the sore arm. But I didn't really feel sick. But later I felt a bit off. Really no more than a slight hangover as opposed to a massive hangover. (Vodka and other beverages) 🤣

My brother in law was floored by the vaccine. He's an architect. My sister, his wife was amazed because he didn't go to work. He's a workaholic. It must have been bad for him to stay home. Well at least until lunchtime. 

I don't know what you guys think but there is a sense of relief when you get the vaccine. 

We're not going to die of covid. Now that's good. 

Edited by noelh
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, noelh said:

We're not going to die of covid. Now that's good. 

Indeed, but only probably.  Getting any vaccine does not reduce anyone's chances to zero, but to a significantly low figure.  However, this only holds true for a short time if the virus is still widespread in the community/world and thus open to mutation.  Hence the need for a continually new flu vaccine each year.  To drive Covid down to such a "safe" level, one that is so acceptably low as can be safely ignored to the extent that deaths from flu have been in recent years, will require considerably more investment in effort and restrictions on movement.  People rushing to their holidays in distant places have the virus (metaphorically) rubbing its spikes with glee.  

(Text approved by personal medical advisor.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Indeed, but only probably.....

(Text approved by personal medical advisor.)

Yes indeed Graham. Perhaps I should have said: We're not going to die of this  particular strain of covid.  

I should have known better because my personal medical advisor, my wife is an actual Microbiologist who has been in the thick of this for the last year. 

She has told me more or less the same thing. It could be that going into the future we'll have to have proof of a current vaccine before being allowed into many countries. 

• Like 3

I don't like arguing with people who basically agree with me, but no.  I meant that you are now much less likely to die of that particular strain, but not completely immune.  It just doesn't work that way, ever.

I expect that the most sensible countries will be unhappy about accepting visitors from any country where Covid is still common, regardless of their vaccination status.  Whether commercial pressures will override this is another matter.  We already see the travel companies whinging that the current restrictions are too rigid, rather than too lax.  Short run commercially, yes.  Long term healthily, the contrary.

The latest set of relaxations has resulted in a slight(?) increase in reported cases.  Whether this is just a statistical blip remains to be seen, but watch the next few days (discounting weekend counting problems) for a better idea of just what is going on.  Hospital admissions lag this, and deaths lag even more.  We'll have a much better idea in June about a third (fourth?) wave, or hopefully not.  As shown by the reaction to suggestions of new variants in the country, we may have "broken the back" of the original strains but would be stupid to relax now.  We've made that mistake already... arguably twice.

• Like 2

Time will tell. The problem I think is when hospitalisations and deaths drop to an 'acceptable' (In the public mind) level where it's perceived that the vaccines have worked and outweigh the effects of social distancing and other precautions. I think it will be very difficult to convince people to continue these practices. It's likely that people will rebel against restrictions. It's already clear that many younger people simply think vaccines are unnecessary for them. 

I do understand the reality of herd immunity. My wife has carefully and patiently, without exasperation, explained it to me. Indeed the nurse who administered the vaccine advised I would be 70% protected in three weeks. That is definitely not full protection. Like body armour to a soldier no vaccine is 100% effective. 

Don't worry about arguing. I always enjoy a debate or discussion. Besides my clumsy tabloidean style of writing is easy prey for people who actually know what they're talking about. 

• Like 2