Covid Jab

DMC

My partner working in a care home had the jab, a sore arm the next day but after that we're not sure, she had her usual once a week proper test (the rapid one at every shift) and the vaccine at the same time, when the result came back 3 days later after 2 days off it was positive, she had headache and feeling crap which was probably due to the virus but we can't be sure, maybe the vaccine but I isolated of course at the same time but a week later after feeling crap and dizzy I lost most of my sense of smell, (I was checking twice a day by sniffing bacon!) got a test and positive, crapped myself as I had a very nasty chest infection in my 20's and thought now nearly 50 if I got something similar I'm in trouble but luckily I got away with a slightly tight chest and feeling lousy, partner was like a bad cold so we both got away lightly.

The irony here is with both of us key workers (care home and me supermarket) I mentioned to a work colleague only the week before that it was only a matter of time before one of us got it (meaning partner and I)...........

• Sad 3

GP mentioned last week that he expected my wife and I who are both in the 65-70 age group should get ours around mid-March all things being equal but just had a call offering us appointments at 0900 and 0910 on Sunday morning which was quite unexpected.

Health Centre front door is out of our back gate , across the road and 100 yards through their car park so wondering if with a weather warning in force for up here for the next few days , no public transport on Sundays and the relatively early weekend hour that there might be a back-up list of those nearer to hand to keep the process running until some in the older groups that are currently being done are more able to get safely out and about a little later in the day.

• Like 3

Apparently some GP practices (at least) have been operating a system of "back-ups" so that vaccines don't go to waste if for whatever reason some of those on the list can't make it.  Seems very sensible to me.  You may be right that the weather warning could be relevant.

• Like 3

Have a family member working for NHS Track & Trace who gets positive newsbytes from all over as part of their daily team briefings and she was saying that just as the vaccination programme was starting in the UK that they had been told that one of the reasons why Israel had got so far ahead so quickly with vaccinating their population was that people who had not been called in yet but were prepared to queue outside vaccination centres at the end of the day on the off-chance then any unused doses were used on a first come first served basis with the dual effect of eliminating waste and reducing overall lists.

• Like 5

No hesitation doing mine at 10AM Monday morning, will turn up early and hope there is shelter from the elements in case of a wait outside, a friend mentioned a tent of sorts outside the building, we'll see.

• Like 1

I think that side effects, and bad reaction, are inevitable with the vaccinations. I remember as a kid, getting the polio jab, a lot of kids had reactions to one degree or more. Also, when I joined the army in '64, I felt like a pin cushion with the number of jabs that we had. One in particular, I think that maybe it was for TB, everyone got a reaction in the form of a scab appearing on their arm. One squaddie in particular had a really bad reaction to it. The scab spread all over his arm and chest, and in the end he was hospitalized in Catterick military.  It was a very painful experience, especially with some of the morons taking a delight in punching you on the upper arm.....for fun!!!

John.

• Like 1

Received an e-mail from the NHS at 07.00 this morning to inform me that the self administered Coronavirus test that I sent in yesterday had given a negative result, so that was a weight off my mind.  That was a very speedy piece of work.  The NHS are to be congratulated.   Robin.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

think that maybe it was for TB, everyone got a reaction in the form of a scab appearing on their arm

If i remember rightly those that reacted to the test hadn't had been in contact with TB and needed inoculation, those that didn't had been in contact with TB and, in theory, didn't.

We were tested at Junior school in the late 60's and everyone except myself reacted to the test and received the jab. That would be the end of it you may think, everyone has had the jab or has natural immunity. Not so. For months afterwars I had to go for a further series of tests to determine if i was infected, carrying or had previously been infected and if so whether there was any permanent or long term effects.  I think they were baffled when everything came back all clear.

• Like 1

Got my jab yesterday morning, had a really crappy night, I usually never have reactions to injections.  Sore neck arms and achy joints I couldn't sleep. Strange thing was I woke up starving. It did warn of side effects in the leaflet. 

8 hours ago, FrankJ said:

Got my jab yesterday morning, had a really crappy night, I usually never have reactions to injections.  Sore neck arms and achy joints I couldn't sleep. Strange thing was I woke up starving. It did warn of side effects in the leaflet. 

Are you a pallid grey and desiring a breakfast of the finest BRAAAAAIIINNNNNSSSS!!!!??? :zombie:

• Haha 5

There'll be no hesitating from me when I get my call up, i'm 60 so thinking/hoping back end of March through April?

Thankfully i've been working all through this so i've at least been able to get out every week day. My heart goes out to all that haven't been able to and have been stuck inside.

• Like 1

The side effects people are talking about are probably the price we have to pay for getting a vaccine into use so quickly. Covid has had such an effect on everyday life that it was deemed imperative

to develop and approve a vaccine with all possible speed.

Under normal circumstances where it takes years to bring a vaccine to market, these sort of side effects can often be "fine-tuned" out, there hasn't been time to do that in this case.

1 minute ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Just read that Saga will not be allowing any guests on cruises without full vaccination, no exceptions at all.

I suspect this will be commonplace soon.

We did our 1st cruise 2019, liked it so much we saved enough to do another in 2020, then this damn bug put paid to that. Spent the money on other things.  Like modelling tools etc. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Just read that Saga will not be allowing any guests on cruises without full vaccination, no exceptions at all.

I suspect this will be commonplace soon.

Exactly. I would think that this will be the case for a lot of circumstances. I think that some bouncers at nightclubs, are going to have their work cut out refusing entry to some of these youngsters who believe everything that they read on line, and have refused to have the vaccination. Rather them than me.

John.

1 hour ago, Fifer54 said:

The side effects people are talking about are probably the price we have to pay for getting a vaccine into use so quickly. Covid has had such an effect on everyday life that it was deemed imperative

to develop and approve a vaccine with all possible speed.

Under normal circumstances where it takes years to bring a vaccine to market, these sort of side effects can often be "fine-tuned" out, there hasn't been time to do that in this case.

There aren't any side effects, other than those that can normally affect a small minority of people with any vaccine.  Perhaps a small temporary ache in the arm isn't that small a minority, to be fair.  But nothing serious from fact rather than fiction.

I'm supporting the bouncers.  Stupidity is not an evolutionary advantage.

On 2/5/2021 at 2:54 PM, Des said:

GP mentioned last week that he expected my wife and I who are both in the 65-70 age group should get ours around mid-March all things being equal but just had a call offering us appointments at 0900 and 0910 on Sunday morning which was quite unexpected.

Health Centre front door is out of our back gate , across the road and 100 yards through their car park so wondering if with a weather warning in force for up here for the next few days , no public transport on Sundays and the relatively early weekend hour that there might be a back-up list of those nearer to hand to keep the process running until some in the older groups that are currently being done are more able to get safely out and about a little later in the day.

Des, I assume you come under NHS Tayside. I'm just down the road from you in Perth and like you I'm 65-70 age group. I got a phone call at lunch time today and my wife and I are booked for the vaccine at the "community vaccination centre" in the Dewars Centre on Monday afternoon. Similar vaccination centres are being set up throughout Tayside including Montrose and Arbroath so you may be contacted sooner than you expect.

I suspect much of the sudden acceleration in Scotland is due to the involvement of the Army who were busy moving stuff into the Dewars Centre when I passed earlier in the week.

I'm delighted to be offered the jab so soon and I'll take my chance with side effects. I'm normally OK with vaccines although a yellow fever jab many years ago put me in bed for a very unpleasant 36 hours.

Incidentally I have signed up with Dundee University who are studying the safety and effectiveness of the vaccines. Might as well do a little bit for medical science!

Dave G

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Des, I assume you come under NHS Tayside.

Yes I am and am just back in after having done the deed , which went very smoothly.

Arrived just before 0900 for my wife's appointment and back out by 0924 after mine , being run by NHS staff in Montrose this morning with four injection rooms in operation until 1730 tonight.

I was expecting that the side effects will be rather similar to the flu jab but I got the impression from the staff this morning  that arm pain for a couple of days is perhaps more of a certainty with this , but a small price to pay.

I mentioned that I was surprised to have been called a month earlier than I had been led to expect and was told that the Scottish Government has instructed that the process be ramped up so they are getting through the age groups a lot faster than first expected.     I suppose that with half of the Montrose catchment area being under the North Sea and a big rural area inland the numbers here are a bit more manageable than the larger towns and cities.

• Like 2

SWMBO and myself went for out jab yesterday.  All went very smoothly, painless injection and just a slight soreness on the arm today.  Just have to wait now for the second dose in a few weeks.  I really cannot understand the anti-vaxxers.

• Like 3

So do you get a certificate to show you've been vaccinated then? or does that come after the second one?

Thinking about a couple of posts here saying cruise liners wont accept you if you haven't, and quite right too, just wondered how you proved you have been vaccinated?

10AM for me tomorrow, just hope the side effects are not too bad and last too long.

Never got anything with my jab to say that I have had it done, maybe at the 2nd jab I don't know. 

If not perhaps they will leave that to your local gp surgery, and charge you for it. 😉😊

There is a very interesting piece on the BBC website about reluctance to accept the vaccine particularly among older people of Pakistani heritage who, of course, are among the highest risk groups.

The article shows a notice posted in a hospital in 1923, 98 years ago, which reads as follows:

"Those who disbelieve in vaccination should ponder the following figures issued by the Health Committee of Gloucester:

Total admissions to hospital for smallpox - 350

Unvaccinated - 319

Vaccinated but so long ago as to be unprotected - 18

Vaccinated during incubation period of disease - 13"

Nothing will change the mind of the dedicated anti-vaxxer (a mindset I absolutely fail to understand) but hopefully figures like that will convince anybody who is still thinking about whether to have the vaccine or not.

Dave G

• Like 3