Harrier GR.1 XV802, 20 Sqn 1971

Alan P

On 2/6/2021 at 7:26 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Crikey that's come together quickly Alan,looks good to and nice extra touches too.

Great job

Chris

Thanks again Chris 👍

Had an afternoon to do some more work...

tn_Harrier (76)

Tarted up the engine covers and vents with a bit more detail. The flush vent on the right in the picture needed a horrific sink mark filling on the facing side.

tn_Harrier (78)

Fitted the auxiliary intake doors, bit tricky with them being all different sizes and the first five being recessed at different angles.

tn_Harrier (77)

They look a bit rough and ready at the moment, but still have plenty of work to tidy them up.

Added a fascia and some canopy track detail on the rear cockpit area:

tn_Harrier (74)

Also built up some of the detail on the canopy itself to cover up some nasty sink marks:

tn_Harrier (75)

Lastly, assembled the Aden gun pods and detailed the muzzles and added perforations instead of the moulded pimples in the kit:

tn_Harrier (79)

These parts fitted the fuselage really well. Some aspects of this kit are very good.

I've just started on the landing gear, so more pics hopefully soon. I've elected to leave the gear doors closed, although it looks like they are opened by ground crew any time the aircraft is on the ground for any length of time. 

Thanks for looking, and especially to those who have commented so far!

Alan

• Like 3

On 2/16/2021 at 10:31 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Excellent progress Alan, nice work on the extra details. 

Chris

Thanks very much again Chris! Looks like you're an audience of one at the moment, so I'm glad you're enjoying the show!

Primer on and panel lines rescribed:

tn_Harrier (3)

Used the last dregs of my last can of Halfords Filler Primer. Sanded down with micromesh.

tn_Harrier (2)

While that was drying, I finished off the metallic parts with a mixture of AK Xtreme Burnt Metal and Alclad Pale Burnt Metal and Transparent Smoke

Applied the Mr Surfacer 1200 primer to the lower half:

tn_Harrier (4)

Now it looks like one of those Flashman schemes :lol:

Then I could fit the glareshield:

tn_Harrier (5)

Fabricated a HUD from scrap PE and a piece of polarised acetate film.

tn_Harrier (6)

Also added a little-cars 3mm lens for the projector.

Finally could add the forward windshield:

tn_Harrier (7)

The final detailing I'm going to add - the windscreen wiper housing at the forward base of the canopy

tn_Harrier (8)

All faired in using my favourite filler- Tamiya tape 😉

There's a sting in the tail with this build - I primed and painted it fully this afternoon but the paints I used (MRP Lacquers) were just kind of...well, wrong:

tn_Harrier (11)

The Dark Green and Dark Sea Grey shades just look off :hmmm:

tn_Harrier (9)

To me it looks more like the USMC Dark Green/Dark Gray and not really like RAF DG/DSG :sad:

tn_Harrier (10)

As it stands there are no 1/32 USMC decals available for this kit (Caracal have a set planned for production but not for a while yet) so I might just go with it or try over painting the existing markings with Xtracrylix or Gunze Sangyo. I'm not masking it all again, used about half a roll of Tamiya tape on it already!

Anyway, maybe I'm being too picky, tell me what you think about the colours.

Alan

• Like 8

Ahh yes Halford filler primer, fantastic stuff and have a tin ready for my Airfix 24th scale Sea Harrier.   

Your model looks fantastic to me, however I am no expert and am looking on my phone. 

What about under a coat of gloss or doing a bit of post shading over the original colours,  that may help if your not happy with the colours.

I think you have done a grand job there. 

Chris

• Thanks 1

Chris mate that's very kind! I've just seen @Lord Riot's Kinetic one and to be honest the paint colours look pretty similar, so maybe I'm just making a rod for my own back! 

I'll crack on with this as it is, hopefully the decals will bring it all together.

Thanks very much again Chris!

Alan 

• Like 2

On 2/3/2021 at 6:21 PM, Alan P said:

Thank you very much John @Biggles87 and Chris @bigbadbadge 👍

Big update coming - loads of work done on this over the past two days:

tn_Harrier (23)

Bashed the seat into something resembling an early MB Mk9A (thanks for the tip @Selwyn) - the added headbox details are from plastic card and blutac 😉

Trumpeter cockpit painted:

tn_Harrier (31) tn_Harrier (32)

New control column fitted. I went with the decal front panel even though the round central screen display wasn't a feature of the early GR.1. Nobody's looking anyway... :devil:

tn_Harrier (19)

Seat painted decalled and washed.

tn_Harrier (18)

Very pleased with the improvement over the kit original!

More soon...

Alan

The shoulder straps on that seat are still far far  to long by the way they did not attach to the QR box.  The shoulder straps only went over the pilots shoulders and connected to the pilots combined harness in the breast pocket area. I have an image of them if you want it Just PM me.

Selwyn

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies! 

On 2/21/2021 at 9:58 PM, Lord Riot said:

Those colours look spot on to me! Brilliantly neat demarcation line too, very impressive.

Cheers, I thought your 1/48 one looked pretty similar so that's made me feel better. 

On 2/21/2021 at 10:24 PM, Selwyn said:

The shoulder straps on that seat are still far far  to long by the way they did not attach to the QR box. 

Thanks again Selwyn, you're right of course but I'm not going to change it further now. 

On 2/21/2021 at 10:55 PM, Josep said:

Very impressive Alan. Lot of work and detail!

Congratulations 👏👏👏👏

Thanks Josep 👍

13 hours ago, Darth Vader said:

I agree with Lord Riot, those colours look great. Id leave it 

Thanks a lot DV, I went ahead and put the decals on and it looks better to my eye. MRP are out of the doghouse. I prefer the Gunze Mr Color shades but the MRP lacquers are just so easy to use. 

More photos soon... 

• Like 1

Just now, Alan P said:

Thanks very much James! Trying to take a leaf out of your book with the added details...what are you working on these days? 

Kinda 'between projects'! I have a MiG-15 diorama worth a Zil-131 refuelling truck which are both finished but I have not set them in a diorama yet. We just moved house and all my model tools are in storage. After that I'm planning a superdetailed Mi-28N Havoc in 1/72 to go alongside my Hind. 

• Like 1

Kit decals went on well:

tn_Harrier (15)

Nozzles attached:

tn_Harrier (16) tn_Harrier (17)

Happy with the camouflage colours now, the decals seem to bring it all together.

And then with the seat and wheels:

tn_Harrier (14)

Not sure it really sits correctly but it'll all work out!

tn_Harrier (13)

The shiny really came out. Looking forward to the finishing touches. I must admit this has surpassed all my expectations for what it would look like in the end, not bad for a £23 kit!

Already lining up my next project, which has been sitting in the loft for a good few years waiting for the opportunity...

f3_alarm.jpg?w=830&h=493

Coming soon to WIP!

Alan

• Like 7

The upper/lower demarcation is indeed splendid.

The mention of the forward nozzle colour has triggered a memory, I remember them being the fuselage colour at some time but can’t remember when. The colour of the rear nozzles and heat shields looks spot on to me though.

John

• Like 1

Thanks very much for the replies! 

14 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Looking superb! Like a bigger and better painted version of mine! 😂

Bigger, yes, but the rest is highly debatable! 

3 hours ago, John_W said:

Coming along nicely. Should the forward nozzles not be fuselage colour, or was that later in service?

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

The mention of the forward nozzle colour has triggered a memory, I remember them being the fuselage colour at some time but can’t remember when.

Thanks both Johns...I was going by the photo linked in the first post and it looks ambiguous. I might just give it a quick light spray with the dark green and it'll match the photo! 

Thanks very much again, great comments and much appreciated 👍

Thanks to @John_W and John @Biggles87 for the heads up about the forward nozzles. I've repainted them.

tn_Harrier (20)

…and after a light wash, the Harrier is finished!

tn_Harrier (23) tn_Harrier (27) tn_Harrier (32)

Thanks to everyone who followed the build, especially Chris @bigbadbadge who stuck around during the boring bits!

All the best :cheers:

Alan 

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

No worries Alan that looks stunning fan bloomin tastic work fella. You should be really chuffed with it.

Chris

35 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Lovely job.

John

17 minutes ago, crobinsonh said:

Super build and finish

Thank you all very much indeed. Means a lot from those who know the Harrier!

RFI is now online, have a look here:

• Like 1