Spitfire IIa (Revell 1/32)

Hi folks! Got this kit as a Christmas present to myself courtesy of @Robert and decided to round off my odyssey of classic WW2 fighters with this one.

tn_Spit IIa (7)

It's built from the box with the addition of Barracuda ailerons and radiator/oil cooler covers and a CMK seat. I'd only recommend the Barracuda set if you really can't stand the metal ailerons in the kit, the other stuff can be remedied or left as is for the casual builder like me!

tn_Spit IIa (1)

It's an excellent kit for the price. Fit is very good all round, the usual places requiring filler at the wing roots and underside just behind the wings, Other than that, you can almost get away with none.

tn_Spit IIa (10)

The surface detail is lovely. Can't speak to the accuracy of the whole (Barracuda replacement bits seem to cover most of those) but while I do pay attention to glaring inaccuracies in model kits, I'm not obsessive and prefer aesthetics over form anyway!

tn_Spit IIa (12)

I used MRP lacquer paints for the camouflage with Colourcoats enamel for the staining and worn/used effects. As usual, I never do pre-shading, it's amazing what you can do with just enamel paint, cotton buds and thinner!

tn_Spit IIa (4)

The decals were from the Revell box and their usual excellent quality (most of their recent releases have been superb decals)

tn_Spit IIa (8)

I've built some very clean models recently but I wanted to see if I can still do realistic effects and studied whatever pictures and newsreel footage I could to try to represent a used warplane. The Spitfire was a genuine warfighter and I wanted to reflect this in the finish. Very pleased with the results.

tn_Spit IIa (5)

This is exactly what I wanted from a Spitfire kit - cheap, good quality and an easy build. I would highly recommend this to anyone looking to move up to 1/32.

Anyway - hope you have a pleasant weekend and thanks for looking,

Alan

• Like 36

Very kind, thanks for your replies and glad you like it too!

6 minutes ago, Robert said:

Very nice build. Glad the kit went to a good home.

Regards

Robert

Me too! Thanks very much for a smooth sale Robert 👍

2 minutes ago, Sky Keg said:

Very nice Alan.  This Spitfire is one to be proud of.  :goodjob:

Mike

Thanks Mike, not built many prop planes but they're growing on me!

• Like 1

Super build and the weathering looks spot - you must tell me your secrets as every time I use an oil wash it disappears when I use a cloth to mop up the excess!

I remember Revell did this same example in 72nd scale back in the 60's and I still have one somewhere in my stash so it also brings back many memories.

Regards

Colin.

That’s really nice. 

Great to see a Spitfire finished and weathered so realistically, rather than following the latest trends and what’s currently ‘en vogue’. 

Lovely job!

Tom

• Thanks 1

That looks grand, looks just right used but not abused, it is a great kit amazing value for money and the Barracuda parts really enhance it.

Cheers

Dennis

1 hour ago, fishplanebeer said:

Super build and the weathering looks spot - you must tell me your secrets as every time I use an oil wash it disappears when I use a cloth to mop up the excess!

Regards

Colin.

Thanks Colin, funnily enough I use oil washes very sparingly, just a few commonly used hatches and panels. Most of these effects is carefully spraying thinned enamel paint over surfaces and along lines, then using cotton buds, paper towels and sponges dipped in thinner to remove or shift the colour around. 

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

That's a lovely job. The exhaust staining in particular is spot on.

Thanks Stephen, I wasn't sure if I'd overdone it, but it seems to match some pictures. 👍

1 hour ago, tomprobert said:

That’s really nice. 

Great to see a Spitfire finished and weathered so realistically, rather than following the latest trends and what’s currently ‘en vogue’. 

Lovely job!

Tom

Thank you Tom, same reason I like your work so much. God save us from the 'patchwork quilt' look 😂

36 minutes ago, spitfire said:

That looks grand, looks just right used but not abused, it is a great kit amazing value for money and the Barracuda parts really enhance it.

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you very much Dennis, with your screen name that means a lot! 😉

• Like 1

Beautiful Spit Alan! Well done! 

I am also an aesthetics over rivet counting guy so I am with you on that one. 

You've done it justice. 

Glad to hear that it's a good kit as I have one waiting. 

Thanks for sharing! 

Best, 

Nikola

Edited by Nikola Topalov
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Nikola Topalov said:

I am also an aesthetics over rivet counting guy so I am with you on that one. 

You've done it justice. 

Glad to hear that it's a good kit as I have one waiting. 

Thank you very much Nikola! You'll enjoy the build in that case. 👍

I have one in the stash ready to build soon , you have done a fine job on yours :yes: however looking at your model i can see a couple more improvements i intend to make on mine , to my eye the spinner looks a little bit too pointed , the wheels are also a little suspect and the under carrage doors seem to be at a strange angle at the bottoms . :goodjob:

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, keith in the uk said:

I have one in the stash ready to build soon , you have done a fine job on yours :yes: however looking at your model i can see a couple more improvements i intend to make on mine , to my eye the spinner looks a little bit too pointed , the wheels are also a little suspect and the under carrage doors seem to be at a strange angle at the bottoms . :goodjob:

Thanks Keith. Regarding the doors, it's always possible that I assembled them the wrong way round 🤔

Beautifully done Alan,I've had a couple of of attempts at this kit I wasn't really happy with by co-incidence I've ordered one today hope I 

can emulate your's!

• Like 1

Very nice Spitfire. As for the undercarriage doors, they look like they're the right way around though the bottoms are indeed at a strange angle. Must be a kit inaccuracy. There is one thing missing for a Mk II: the Coffman starter bulge. It's teardrop shaped, on the starboard side of the nose. It's one way to tell the Mk II apart from the Mk I. As for the spinner being too pointed, many of the Mk II had a blunt, more bulbous, spinner. This one looks more like the spinner used on the Mk I. 

Cheers,

Wlad

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much again @stevej60@SAT69, and @Wulfman

3 hours ago, Wlad said:

There is one thing missing for a Mk II: the Coffman starter bulge. It's teardrop shaped, on the starboard side of the nose. It's one way to tell the Mk II apart from the Mk I.

The Mk II had a blunt, more bulbous, spinner. This one looks more like the spinner used on the Mk I. 

Thanks Wlad, never would have known that as a casual Spit builder! New piece of info for the next one 👍