Romanian BF109-E3 in service 1942 Tamiya 1/72

Hi all, figured it's about time i finally got around to doing my first RFI 

Thanks @opus999 for the prompt.

fast forward but I'll keep it short I'll say that I have mixed feelings about this model, the results i feel were so so as I tried to concentrate on details over process and the costs of this was borne by the finish.

Ill put this this to a mix of inexperience and at times inpatience

The kit: Tamiya 1/72 Bf109e3 war birds collection

Decals: Parc Models

Paint: Tamiya acrylics, dunklegrun spray can, washes and Abteilung oil paints

Mods: .02mm rigging wire, and .3mm lead wire for brake/hydraulic lines, small scratch cushion on seat.

Drilled guns x5 and vents.

I really messed up with the spray can as it is just too thick, over spray underneath from topcoat. The canopy will need to be better done next time as a lesson learned what not to do.

IMG_20210130_105351473

IMG_20210130_105610646

IMG_20210130_111209382

IMG_20210130_110232287

IMG_20210130_105514489

IMG_20210130_110717589

IMG_20210130_110134125

IMG_20210130_110647528

IMG_20210130_110040201

IMG_20210130_110537698

IMG_20210130_105736816

IMG_20210130_110511795

IMG_20210130_105703360

oh i forgot to mention, some of my fingerprints made it to the nose, and i also dropped it on its tail, breaking a strut and paint! Better be more careful next time!

I'm very unhappy with the canopy

IMG_20210130_110934324

Decals in the wrong spots, only found out after 

IMG_20210130_110211880

IMG_20210130_105456155

IMG_20210130_110852975

IMG_20210130_110200448

IMG_20210130_110805889

IMG_20210130_110148755

IMG_20210130_110752247

IMG_20210130_110420183

IMG_20210130_110355620

Well that's the good the bad and the ugly.

Hope you enjoy!

Darius

• Like 18

I think on the whole it looks terrific!  The finish is really nice and I like the subtle weathering.  I admire anyone that can rig up antenna wire!  I've yet to try that.  I also really like the diorama, simple and effective.

Close up photos are never your friend... so if you are unhappy with some details, keep in mind that they may not be noticeable at arm's length ( I have to remind myself this all the time ;) ).  If you think you know what you will do next time to improve a canopy, then this will be a good learning experience. 

Very nice job! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Darius,

well I have only seen the good. Still looking for the bad and the ugly!

I love th Emil, so I really enjoyed your build!

Congratulations

JR

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's easy to be your own harshest critic, as you know what you envisioned and you can't help but see all the defects.  I think you did a particularly great job on the canopy framing (I tried a 1/72 Bf109 ages ago, and the canopy gave me fits) and the aerial wires.  I won't give you any guff over the crud inside the canopy as I can't seem to completely avoid it either.

I am going to have to report you to Disney Corporate for the potential IP infringement, they offer a bounty as I'm sure you're aware.  If they feel obliged to sue you into penury I hope there are no hard feelings.  🙂

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, opus999 said:

I think on the whole it looks terrific!  The finish is really nice and I like the subtle weathering.  I admire anyone that can rig up antenna wire!  I've yet to try that.  I also really like the diorama, simple and effective.

Close up photos are never your friend... so if you are unhappy with some details, keep in mind that they may not be noticeable at arm's length ( I have to remind myself this all the time ;) ).  If you think you know what you will do next time to improve a canopy, then this will be a good learning experience. 

Very nice job! 

Cheers mate, and yes, avoid putting tamiya putty anywhere near the canopy as i did in my case (stupidly) to fill gaps from earlier miss alignment. The base was my first attempt at any form of vignette/diorama/scene in my modelling journey. But very fun, and i think building up the skill will help with displays in the future.

My plan is to integrate aeroplane position lights and landing lights on the projects later ahead so to make it convincing, i need to really get stuck into the bases

2 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Darius,

well I have only seen the good. Still looking for the bad and the ugly!

I love th Emil, so I really enjoyed your build!

Congratulations

JR

Cheers, and agreed the "e"s seem the most elegant of the series. I have a 1/48 in B&C 109 that coupled with a wooden prop would look rather out of place to those used to the G's.

1 hour ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

It's easy to be your own harshest critic, as you know what you envisioned and you can't help but see all the defects.  I think you did a particularly great job on the canopy framing (I tried a 1/72 Bf109 ages ago, and the canopy gave me fits) and the aerial wires.  I won't give you any guff over the crud inside the canopy as I can't seem to completely avoid it either.

I am going to have to report you to Disney Corporate for the potential IP infringement, they offer a bounty as I'm sure you're aware.  If they feel obliged to sue you into penury I hope there are no hard feelings.  🙂

I think next time I'm going to mask inside then transfer to outside to get the correct framing then go ahead with masking paste to pick up the last of the gaps tape might miss. Oh and a good polisher would be handy. I think sealing up the fuselage from any openings therein would stop dust getting pulled in and trapped. Just a thought.

Edited by Cuppa_joe
Forgot

Hi Darius,

I have to agree with everyone else - it's a cracking build and the typically Romanian markings really make it pop! I think you've done an absolutely first-class job.

By the way, what does the port-side inscription say? Something like "Moscow or bust!"?

Kind regards,

Mark

• Like 1

Great Job!  I have a number of German aircraft in Romanian Markings...I like the Bright liveries and the fact my wife is a Romanian speaker (Moldovan) has influenced me to research Romania's fascinating participation in World War 2.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Darius,

I have to agree with everyone else - it's a cracking build and the typically Romanian markings really make it pop! I think you've done an absolutely first-class job.

By the way, what does the port-side inscription say? Something like "Moscow or bust!"?

Kind regards,

Mark

Moscova-bucuresti it says. A train line that went from the Romanian capital (București- roughly translated as the happiness -bucurie -joy/happiness. Source: I'm Romanian born)

And thank you, but will use this learning experience as a spring board to other skills ahead. This was not to my liking as it was rushed to finish as a Christmas gift to my father, and as such compromises had to be made. On with the next!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, S. Uehlinger said:

Great Job!  I have a number of German aircraft in Romanian Markings...I like the Bright liveries and the fact my wife is a Romanian speaker (Moldovan) has influenced me to research Romania's fascinating participation in World War 2.

Indeed, rather unique take on the par for the course Luftwaffe fare. More whimsical (gay was probably a better word imho) and a joy to look up for reference. Good luck with your builds!

• Like 1

Darius stop giving yourself a bad time ,the model looks great.Everyone who builds models nearly always get nervous ,have i made a mess of the paint job or missed something that everyone will notice.If we all get in a state over worrying like that not many models would ever get seen.

Well done 👏 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cuppa_joe said:

Moscova-bucuresti it says. A train line that went from the Romanian capital (București- roughly translated as the happiness -bucurie -joy/happiness. Source: I'm Romanian born)

And thank you, but will use this learning experience as a spring board to other skills ahead. This was not to my liking as it was rushed to finish as a Christmas gift to my father, and as such compromises had to be made. On with the next!

Hi Darius,

thanks for the translation - I can see it now. My excuse: I was looking on my mobile phone last evening, and on my laptop now! It's an excellent build, and I hope your Father was was pleased with his gift.

I think every model is a learning curve, and I've yet to finish one and post on BM, although I've had my WIP threads going for a while. My latest stumble is joint filling that wasn't the top-notch job I'd hoped for, brutally exposed by a spattery coat of primer. But as you rightly say, on with the next!

Kind regards,

Mark

1 hour ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Darius,

thanks for the translation - I can see it now. My excuse: I was looking on my mobile phone last evening, and on my laptop now! It's an excellent build, and I hope your Father was was pleased with his gift.

I think every model is a learning curve, and I've yet to finish one and post on BM, although I've had my WIP threads going for a while. My latest stumble is joint filling that wasn't the top-notch job I'd hoped for, brutally exposed by a spattery coat of primer. But as you rightly say, on with the next!

Kind regards,

Mark

Hey Mark I'll pop over and have a look-see at what your doing on your WIP, what's the easiest way to find it?

Yep on with the next indeed, I'm a perfectionist, but that doesn't align with my skills, so it's time to say "i can do no more" (at this skill level) and leave it there. Also, not getting too attached to our creations i feel is also important; being that decisions are easiest made impartially, than over-committed and over-invested

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well done sir:clap2:... Always nice to see something in alternative markings. 

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Darius stop giving yourself a bad time ,the model looks great.Everyone who builds models nearly always get nervous ,have i made a mess of the paint job or missed something that everyone will notice.If we all get in a state over worrying like that not many models would ever get seen.

Well done 👏 

Well agreed there, hence my hesitation to post initially, so case-in-point there @Homer

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cuppa_joe said:

Hey Mark I'll pop over and have a look-see at what your doing on your WIP, what's the easiest way to find it?

Yep on with the next indeed, I'm a perfectionist, but that doesn't align with my skills, so it's time to say "i can do no more" (at this skill level) and leave it there. Also, not getting too attached to our creations i feel is also important; being that decisions are easiest made impartially, than over-committed and over-invested

Hi Darius,

I've got four threads going (although the Arma Hurricanes have been gathering dust for quite a while!) - just follow the links in my signature. I'm afraid you won't learn anything, except perhaps how not to do something! :D 

I know what you mean about being a perfectionist - I've been aeroplane modelling for about ten months after a break of 25 years! Prior to that short break, I was concentrating on First World War types in 1/48th scale, and never completed a single one as not one of them was what I had envisioned when starting. I was trying too hard, failing, and so lost all enthusiasm. Now I'm trying to achieve something to be proud of without losing all sense of perspective - it is a hobby, after all! :) 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2