P-51B Frankenstang (1/72 Hasegademy? Acadegawa?)

Some time around 2015 I became aware of the deficiencies of available P-51B kits in the proper scale.  I promptly obtained a Hasegawa P-51B kit, which still has the best available fuselage.  I then fitted the cockpit and wings of an Academy P-51B, the best available at the time (I'd use AZ/KP wings now).  The wing panel lines were filled in accordance with NAA practice (at least on the top surfaces, wink wink) and the ammunition loading doors were revised as they are too long OOTB.  Attaching the new wings was surprisingly easy; a wee bit of plastic had to be trimmed between the flaps to clear the Hasegawa intake scoop.  While I was at it, I cut out and dropped the flaps, which was easy enough once I quit dithering and got on with it.  Miraculously, I used no filler on this model.

Progress then stalled after the airframe was assembled and the clear bits were masked off.  I periodically revisit stalled builds, and one night about two weeks ago this one happened to be sitting out on the bench, alone and helpless, after I'd had a couple of pints.  As tends to happen, a few units of alcohol overcame paralysis by analysis and so the airbrush was loaded up and off we went.  Primer was dismissed with a beery hand wave and thirty minutes later I had a P-51B in factory fresh OD over NG (I used Tamiya Khaki Drab and Neutral Grey cut with Mr. Levelling thinner).

50889009311_496746982b_k.jpg

As this model was intended mostly as a Proof Of Concept I didn't go overboard with detailing and initially intended to use kit decals.  All three of the "viable" options had red noses, so the nose was dutifully painted red.  I then discovered that both sets of Academy decals I had were even more crap than normal, and both sets of Hasegawa decals I had were dried to a flaky crisp.  A rummage through the decal box yielded an Xtradecal D-Day set with markings for "Leakin' Lizz" and so the day was saved,  all I'd need to do was repaint the nose and add the invasion stripes.

50889009431_0deb663043_k.jpg

My cunning plan was to decal and seal Lizz, then add the stripes around the markings that would have pre-existed them on the real aircraft.  

Fortunately I had spare star-and-bars and a sheet of white code letters from Kitsworld, I needed them to replace the decals chewed off by the stripe masking.  The prop markings and aircraft data block were salvaged from the crunchy Hasegawa decals by immersing them in puddles of Future.

50889010151_0a1df34b39_k.jpg

I suspect the red fuel filler caps were simply overpainted with invasion stripes on the real aeroplane, but I think that splash of colour makes the model pop a bit.  Fuel stains are Citadel Nuln Oil.

50888293853_d66b4fa4fc_k.jpg

I like the way Hasegawa replicated the quarterlights as part of a larger transparency which includes a section of the fuselage spine, but I could've done more to fair it into the rest of the fuselage.  There's a bit of a step on either side. 

50889127887_d1d6e6058b_k.jpg

The landing gear and gear leg doors are from the Hasegawa kit, the main doors are from the Academy kit.  They're crisper than the Hasegawa units and have the reinforcement plates (which may or may not be prototypical for this plane, but look nice I think).

A Molotow chrome marker was used on the oleos and lights; marker and formation lights were replicated with Tamiya clear colours.  Clear tape was used over the wing light.

50888293933_f7b665c643_k.jpg

Now that I've gone to the trouble of bashing this together, I see ArmaHobby are preparing a P-51B/C kit, which is the way it goes, isn't it?  Hope that turns out well, it's high time we had a one-kit solution for this iconic type.

That's all for now, hope you enjoyed a look.  😎

• Like 57
  • Thanks 1

And here I thought alcohol was for smoothing out putty blemishes. I need to stop thinking as it gets me in trouble. On a serious note, the model looks mighty fine to me. And I personally think the P-51B/C is the best looking of the Mustang line. My two cents worth.  😀

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Thanks for your comments on your other post, which brought me to here. Glad I have saved one of my Hasegawa and Academy P-51B kits, as I dumped the others I had when the Arma kit was released. I KNEW that combination would work, as you have so proved! You are da man! I like your choice of markings, too! Well done! :like:

Mike

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jonners said:

What a great paint finish for this small kit - I've heard about some modellers mixing Tamiya acrylics with alcohol, but not necessarily in this manner! Fantastic result.

Jon 

Thanks, Jon.  I hope nobody has a mental picture of me flailing about like Keith Floyd at the modelling bench.  😄  But since you've raised the topic, experiments recently conducted here at the Atelier DuVal Multidisciplinary Research Station And Test Kitchen have demonstrated that Tamiya acrylics can be successfully reduced for airbrushing with whiskey (testing was performed with Tullamore Dew, 40% ETOH).

The new Arma P-51B/C is an absolutely smashing kit, but I think the Hasegawa + Academy or AZ wing is still a reasonable approach to an early Merlin-powered Mustang, especially for modellers with the older kits in inventory.  The wing swap is just that fast and easy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2