Airbrushing in a cellar

dylan the rabbit

So, I want to try to get back into some model making this year, and one of the stumbling blocks is where I live. It's just not possible to do anything in the house, so down to the cellar I must go.

I've set up a small desk in the corner of the cellar in the house. There's no window, and it's vented by an extraction fan which goes up a pipe to the outside. I could increase ventilation to that pipe by chucking a fan down there, but that's another matter.

What does bug me, is how can I airbrush down there without going mental off the fumes? I plan to use whatever paint I have left, including acrylic and enamel.

What can be done with an unvented cellar? Is it possible to rig up a spray booth to extract the overspray into water, or something else that can then be emptied outside? There's very little way to vent the fumes outside.

Or is this a lost cause?

Ta muchly,

Nick

Edited by dylan the rabbit

The water thing sounds a bit iffy. It would take a quite powerful fan to draw the air in and push it through water. If there is already a ventilation duct, just rig up a small electric fan to blow anything up the pipe.

I started airbrushing this past summer, in my basement room. I do have a window but no real place to set up a spray booth. I do have a small filtered spray hood. To clear any excess overspray, I bought a small ( about 12 inch ) 3-speed fan and set it up in the window. Works a treat. My wife, who can detect squirrel flatulence from across the street, hasn't once smelt any paint/thinner fumes. The only downside is that I can't use it during the winter, as it would let too much cold air into the house. It gets quite cold up here, on The Backside Of Beyond.

30939781988_578e89c3b3_b.jpg

50302174453_1e1a497525_b.jpg

Chris

Cheers guys.

Chris, I'm thinking the spray booth and venting it through the existing Vent Axia extractor fan and up the pipe would work fine.

'Re the whole blowing yourself up by using enamels through a fan, I have no idea if the Vent Axia electrics are contained. Surely a the paint from a model once a month isn't enough to risk a fire?

• Like 1

So, found this and it looks pretty good from the reviews. Big enough to get most kits into it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HaoSheng-NEW-Black-Model-Extraction/dp/B01E2OYRYO/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=spray+booth&link_code=qs&qid=1612615790&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-5&tag=firefox-uk-21

I'll rig up a little table over the other side of the cellar, and vent this into the extractor fan.

Hopefully the small amount of enamels I'll spray wont blow me up. I'll have a fire extinguisher down there in case!

Edited by dylan the rabbit
  • Like 1