First of the proper smokers - FB3 Seahawk

On 2/25/2021 at 10:58 AM, wellsprop said:

Aspirations to be a crab! 

I (mostly) work with Navy aircraft now :)

Welcome to the light side! :winkgrin:

Just a quicky of an update today, managed to get some red down last night so we have some colour!

20210225_164347

A couple more light coats of Model Master Acryl Insignia Red and I should be about done for this stage. All that remains then is gloss, decal and just wrap it all up! (which always seems to take the longest!) So until that time have a great weekend all!

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 3

Good Evening / afternoon and even morning, hope you are all doing well!

So after last weeks splash of colour I added some gloss in the form of some Pledge and then spent the weekend watching gloss dry. 

20210227_174204

Not very exciting to watch but the end result is not too bad. I gave this a good couple of days to cure as in the past I have found that Micro Sol can damage the layer. So with that all done, I dug out the decals! There arent many to go on and I used a couple of stencils from the kit, here is where we are at now.

20210302_070237

To be honest I am a little disappointed with the white on the roundels and white wing lettering. It is a tad transparent. If I had hindsight I would have laid down a white background to give it a bit more body. I still have the red dots to add, then Ill add another coat of pledge and then it will be on with the final rebuild, Job nearly done!

Until then look after you selves and stay safe!

Bob

• Like 5

Well hello all once again, hope you had a good weekend. Had a great one over here, feels like spring is in the air reaching a balmy -1! Might have to dig my shorts out soon!

I did manage to get a little more time on this wee beastie, finished off the spraying with aluminium on the landing gear doors and wing fold area, painted up the wheels and legs, etc. It wasn’t until now that I found how poor the wheels are on this kit. That mains look a little thin but the hub detail is a bit off centre. The nose is worse but I stuck with it for this late stage. I can hide the worse of it on the mains as they face inwards and are tricky to see well and I just won’t look at the nose! and then she could finally stand on her own 3 wheels!

20210307_125036

I then fitted the doors, using various bits and pieces and lego jigs to space them correctly while the glue went off.

20210307_130101

Now for the folded wings, these were going to be a little bit of a problem as I didn’t factor in any hinge attachment areas. I tried gluing in place and holding with a jig but it just wasn’t having it. Then I remembered the extra holes I drilled for the hoses linking the wings and wondered if the wire I had would be strong enough. Indeed, it was!

20210307_190802 20210307_190839

It also held up to a lot of fine adjustment so I could move it all around to line the wings up. Then a touch of CA and it was all held in position. Peeled off the remaining masking and lo we are nearly there. This is the current stage of play, just a couple of antennas to add and then she is done.

20210307_191251

So, this is the last update, next will be a photo shoot in the gallery. Thanks for looking in all!

Bob

• Like 4