Sturmovik game. Pilot airsick/physiology.

NoSG0

This is a cumulative effect.  From what I understand, pull a few 4-5 g turns and you will get the wobbly effect and then black out.  If you are in the wobbly, greyed out zone, you can still black out under 3 g. What do you all think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lMI5iu-zjA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnkxXC15W0c

Edited by NoSG0

4-5g seems a fairly low threshold for blacking out for a trained military pilot... From my little experience of aerobatics, 4g was fine but 5g was rather noticeable and required quite some effort to strain against. 

One of my flying instructors was ex RAF and said he would fly sustained 7g turns when dogfighting a hawk (presumably wearing a g suit). 

• Thanks 1

Well,

I read that this was supposed to be cumulative.  Pilot level being average I believe? And if you had a long dogfight i.e. more than a 3-4 minutes, then I guess that you see the tiredness affect your pilot more.

Did WWII pilots receive anti G training?  No G suits that I am aware of?

Is there a difference blacking out wise between Vertical G like doing inside loops and sustained G's that a pilot would experience on the horizontal plane?  I.E a 109 wants to go vertical mainly and a Spitfire usually stays turning on the horizontal. 

Here is a video showing some of the effects.  I'm not sure, but I do not think that these are successive dogfights in the same session.

Edited by NoSG0

I can only begin to imagine how tiring an actual Dogfight would have been, so fatigue must have been a factor. 

G suits were used by the Fleet Air Arm in 1942 and later by the RAF. The USAAF had their own G suits used in P-51s (and other aircraft?) in late 44.

There is no difference between induced G in the vertical or horizontal planes. 9g turning is the same as 9g looping. The only difference is the direction in which gravity acts, but in a coordinated turn, it's irrelevant. 

• Like 1

On my old 2002 Combat Flight Sim 3, if you pull a lot of G's, the screen will darken from the outer edges into the centre, until the screen goes totally black. If you keep pulling hard G's, either the plane breaks up and you see the pilot falling through the sky, or the plane crashes and you die or you die in the breakup.

I haven't played my almost as old Il-2 for quite a while as my 'puter doesn't recognize the disc.

Chris

G suits first used by FAA in Operation Torch (1942-3), after being developed by Wilbur Frank's, a Canadian medic. American pilots in the Pacific also developed their own method for increasing G resistance - they placed their feet on the cockpit coaming during aggressive phases of combat. Raising the legs helped venous blood return to the heart, and they didn't really miss the lack of rudder control. I find G tolerance a rather interesting topic.......!!

Nerdy Quack.

• Thanks 2

In IL-2 1946, the G effect is the same black around the edges of the screen and a bit of vision in the middle. Then it goes black and you lose control. If you have enough altitude, you may have time to recover.   Not sure what the Battle of X game did before this. 

I copied my IL-2 1946 dvd to a usb flash drive.  The install was soooo much faster.  This is a windows 7 video, but the point he makes about clicking the A: to install works.   If the DVD or usb flash drive  copy still wont work, I saw that Good old Games has it for cheap without the Steam stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJB_WKizV-4

If you have windows 10, create a Games(whatever you want to call it) Folder on the C drive but not in programs.   Assuming the click on A: works, install the game into the folder that you created.

This is how you can upgrade to 4.12.2 so that you can get all the skins etc.

https://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&file=print&kid=584&page=1

Dr. Quack,  thanks for the info.  Interesting. I feel that based on the videos on yt that the G effects come on too soon in BOX, but what do I know? 

Edited by NoSG0
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Greyouts are common at 4-5G sustained. They accompany loss of peripheral vision as well in most cases. The U.S. used the G3A, which I do have a pair in my stored items. I will try and pull it out in anyone is curious and would like pictures. They are relatively simple in design and simply keep blood from pooling in the calves and legs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, looks like they have made changes to the physiology model extending the time it takes to get completely worn down and they have changed some of the weapons as well.  You still blackout, grey out etc, but it isn't as rapid I guess.

Hopefully 2 steps in the right direction.