Meng 1/35th Husky MRAP

Hi all, I hope you are all keeping well and safe. During the lockdown last year, I like many of you, made a few models from the stash to clear the way. This is my offering of the Meng kit of the Husky MRAP used by our forces in places like Afghan and others. The kit is very nice to make, this is the second Meng kit I have made, the other being the Cougar six wheel US MRAP troop carrier. It all goes together very well without any serious issues at all. I am not a fan of rubber tyres, but I have my own method of dealing with them, as I have had some problems in the past with painting them. I always give them a good scrub with hot, soapy water, and when dry, I coat them in either Johnsons Kleer/Future, or Humbrol Clear acrylic lacquer. When this is completely dry, I paint them, normally with Tamiya NATO black, which is actually dark grey and is a good colour for rubber. When weathered with washes and powders, a couple of coats of Humbrol matt lacquer seals it all in. By following this method, I have found that the tyres do not go shiny again after a few months, which was the problem I had some time back. The detail inside the vehicle is quite good, and I added some clutter in the load area as well as the interior. Humbrol desert tan was used as the top coat and weathering done with washes and powders. I find that a mix of dark earth, sand and white powders gives a very good representation of dust. Again, a few coats of matt varnish after, gives the model a nice, consistent finish. Thanks for looking and happy modelling and keep safe.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Very nice work. Excellent model of a great vehicle, weathering and painting all top notch. Well done.👏

I have the Meng Cougar half started in the stash. Not as easy or fun a build as the Husky but I will persevere.