Lockdown Shelf of Shame Clearout II - Revenge of the Unfinished

AdrianMF

22 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

pretty classy

Thanks Tony! I ran the rattlecan under hot water before spraying in the garage, rather cold. I concentrated on keeping the model at least 8” away and tried to spray in short half second bursts. No drips and no orange peel, so it’s a success by my standards...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Beard said:

looks rather rather nice

Sadly I didn’t clean off the canopy glue behind the canopy, which is what all that rippling is from. Schoolboy error!

I’ve almost finished busying up the wheel wells and I’ve tried to improve the wingtip landing gear a bit:

8-A98149-C-9186-4165-BB2-F-82524-E0062-A

Why do I have a strong suspicion that work will be needed to make all four units touch a planar surface at the same time?

• Like 10

12 hours ago, CedB said:

nice work Adrian

12 hours ago, Hamden said:

Seconded

Thanks Chaps!

11 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

all the UC in harmony

If you look closely you will notice the outrigger tyres look a bit flat. :whistle:

I tried to make the outriggers look more like a mechanism and less like a lump of moulded plastic, and I’ve now stuck all the Airfix parts together:

12-DEB8-C9-04-AB-4-A7-B-9-ACD-C7-D9-FC64

1-D425-EA7-FB2-C-4919-914-E-D838813-C38-

7-C3-DF230-19-C0-4-C9-B-9-BEB-397-D06834

I need to add a few pitots, sensors and lumps before construction is really complete.

Although I have tried to handle it as little as possible, it seems to be a lot less shiny as the day wears on. I’m not too bothered about that because the real thing seems quite worn in photos.

One thing that has struck me is how long it is. I’ve always thought of the P1127 as a stubby little thing, but it looks almost as sleek as the 1154. Living and learning...

• Like 16

4 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

It looks like the work done to drop the wing a mm or so has also serendipitously fixed the wheel alignment! 

I’d seriously consider checking out that bench top :) only joking lovely job so far.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, CedB said:

she's looking stunning

And so lo-o-o-ong! I'm guessing a roundel and the other markings will break it up a bit. Maybe I need to find the egg-plane version. I'm also mulling over my options for putting in some panel lines and variations. And you can see that pesky seam on the port wing has popped up to say hello...

• Like 1

The P1127 bag header artwork shows XP831, but the decals have XP972. I want XP 831 so need to print some decals. In addition, the roundels appear to be 27" D type. They don't look bad, but I may want to replace them - my Xtradecals post-war roundels set has a princely two of that size, so more printing might well be required. I have an inkjet solution for black on clear but it involves strong solvents so not something I want to do on silver.

I've been waiting for Staples to deliver me the shiny new Laser printer I ordered at the start of February. Obvs very necessary for working at home, the inkjet is driving me mad, but also very useful for printing out fuss-free black decals on clear film, which I haven't been able to do since I closed down the office.

Delivery was 2-6 days. I rang yesterday, after 11 days, and was told that they should be getting them in on 23rd Feb. Grrr. So the P1127 is parked until then. In the meantime I will be doing a last-minute Dewoitine 510 for the Heller GB and getting stuck in to the Baltimore.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

This has been on the back burner for a while. I didn’t like the way the top profile of the nose was slightly concave, so I added Milliput. Today I finally got around to sanding it and getting a first coat of Revell acrylic silver on it:

38-A6-E8-FD-FEA3-40-A1-B0-DD-A30001-CE47

Sadly, all my work trying to cover up the wing root seams has been in vain - both of them are now visible. But I’m going to ignore it and hope that they are less noticeable when I’ve added some panel lines.

• Like 5

The old Airfix transfers resolutely refused to leave the backing sheet. I took the opportunity to actually measure and scale up the roundel dimensions from photos, and it turns out the transfers weren’t the right size anyway:

D4442-C96-88-C7-44-CC-9-F9-C-9-FF4334577

I’ve got some spare post war RAF roundels from the Tiger Moth, and Xtradecals for the serial numbers, so I’m getting there.

• Like 4

And decals are on:

36-D4-A764-38-C3-4871-AA54-2-A4278-EC31-

3735449-A-2-BB1-4-FA9-B1-E9-1-B4-D5-B4-A

BE0-C1-AED-B92-C-4-EA0-808-D-1-ED1019-D0

It’s always fun lining up Xtradecal serials but in this case I think it’s gone quite well. I’ve got a few more bits and bobs to do, like cleaning up the windscreeen frame and adding some pitot tubes, before I can call it done.

• Like 17

34 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

Flankers and Blackbirds on my workbench to be finished...

Always good to have a theme. I have a tiny display area and it currently has on it an 1800s beam engine, Cutty Sark sailing ship, Civilian Mi-4 helicopter, Letov S.16 biplane and the P1127 - I’m all over the place!

Regards,

Adrian