Lockdown Shelf of Shame Clearout II - Revenge of the Unfinished

AdrianMF

Well there I was all smug for clearing my shelf of shame last year. As I glance to the right, I can see that somehow a bunch of kits have crept in when I wasn't looking!

So in addition to my two "current" background projects (Empire and Fairey Long Range), I seem to have accumulated an Airfix P1127 (Helis/VTOL GB), a FROG Baltimore (MTO III GB), Aeroclub Osprey (don't ask how many years that's been going), and an Airfix Cutty Sark.

Wait. Back off a minute. A what? 

I bought it in an Airfix order to make up to free postage, started it and got dismayed very quickly:

BE2-F336-C-48-CF-4-E2-A-862-E-7-C72-B869

I thought I'd better get it out of the way now. Sorry for posting in this forum because frankly I'd be embarrassed to post it in the Ships section! I made some progress last night and early this morning:

2182-EDEE-5-CBB-46-D0-A0-DA-AA8-E0-F1487

C6672-C47-68-DB-4-F66-95-B8-52-D18513-D4

7-F7-A5-E6-B-C3-BD-4-F88-9-AC6-8-C33-AFB

I'm using brown cotton run through some black acrylic for the standing rigging (which was covered in tar) and I'll use the same cotton run through PVA for the running rigging (which wasn't). I'm approximating the ratlines with just the verticals, which I think is scale-appropriate. The objective will be to look busy and feasible, but I don't want to be responsible for any cardiac or apoplectic events in Ships.

I will move onto wingy things next post. Although in all fairness, this one has nearly flown across the room a couple of times...

• Like 12
  • Haha 12

4 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Sorry for posting in this forum because frankly I'd be embarrassed to post it in the Ships section!

Well Adrian, I suppose you can call it an "air" craft.😉

Ray

• Haha 4

Well I’ve added a bunch of representative rigging and called it enough:

3-C990467-E5-FD-4-CA3-B6-A4-82-A8-CF4-D5

59678505-9-A87-4152-9-E8-E-CDCB775-E1541

I need to let the black dry, paint Copper on the bottom, add a couple of decals and then decide whether to make a sea base.

Now, where’s an aeroplane?

• Like 28

Apropos nothing, Cutty Sark's sister ship Adelaide is in ... Port Adelaide, undergoing a long refurbishment. Both ships had a significant role in the wool trade between Aus and the UK. Put that in yer pipe and smoke it (if indeed, that is your thing). Lovely little build Adrian - nice to see something different,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow Adrian, I must have built that kit when it's was first released. I was around nine years old, I'm now 74!

Ah, the 'The Shelf of Shame or Doom'! Where would we be without it? Started to clear mine early last year and I'm not making too much headway...

Colin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

(Voice from the clouds)

Stop it! This is silly! Get back to aircraft!

So, in P1127-land, just make sure you don’t put two perfectly formed wheel recesses in the wrong piece of card ;)

2-E7-B0563-BD97-4-A7-A-8-CCC-06-ECE29-F8

(I decided to try for a sea base too, foils now stuck to base with PVA and drying)

082-CE780-6-BDC-48-F7-9-AB3-9-B3-B2-DFE0

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

I think I have either a golden hind or a Cutty Sark in the stash ( thank you Aldi. I also have a Mary rose and a Bismarck and if my local hobby shop ever opens again may add a Tiranic) yours looks very good.  

Believe  it or not you can do sea effects very well and fairly easily using toilet tissue and PVA google it as me you’ll be surprised at how well it can look.

Like the P1127.

• Thanks 1

Hi Adrian 

Please don't worry about the Maritime section here on BM.

I posted my Viking Long boat from the Heller Classic, GB including the one where the cat photo bombed the boat !

They have been really encouraging , your Cutty Sark looks the business. 

Cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1

On 29/01/2021 at 23:09, TallBlondJohn said:

On 30/01/2021 at 00:07, MDriskill said:

I had no idea Airfix had ever done such a thing...

One of Airfix’s first wave of six or seven small sailing ships, after the tractor, and the same age as their first Gladiator. They did a similar (but much better) Mary Rose a few years ago, but otherwise that range has been around for “ever”.

On 30/01/2021 at 00:16, bigbadbadge said:

Where's the bottle?

I don’t think I’d be able to even see the ship to get it in the bottle if I drank that much rum...

On 30/01/2021 at 10:24, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Those masts... just how fat are they?

At 85m/130mm, ie 1/650 scale, they are two feet diameter at the top and around six feet diameter at the bottom. Good for a stiff breeze, I should think!

On 30/01/2021 at 10:38, Dunny said:

wool trade

Thanks Roger. Whenever someone says “Cutty Sark”, I’ve always thought “tea”. I didn’t know they carried wool! Every day is a school day when you’re modelling.

On 30/01/2021 at 11:15, heloman1 said:

Started to clear mine early last year and I'm not making too much headway...

Well, it’s rude not to start a new kit now and again, just to feed the shelf ;)

22 hours ago, Marklo said:

Mary Rose

A modern kit, made over 50 years later than the first batch. I have made the Mary Rose and liked it, so I was quite shocked when I first saw this one!

22 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Please don't worry about the Maritime section here on BM

Somebody told me they bite :)

More Harrier high jinks. Undercarriage well built with the right roof this time:

E1266599-4-F34-49-A7-AA48-D37-A0-D228739

But it’s going to need cutting down to a shallower depth to allow for the thickness of the plastic:

989-D7473-78-E1-4244-ACFB-FB0-E86047472.

I can’t stop messing with this:

7-E1-BBC80-C9-A4-43-B6-BE07-CBF961-E8-D0

So the easiest thing to do was to finish it. No white stripe, no Plimsoll line, no flags:

03-E90-F62-5-E43-459-E-911-D-A0-D3068502

One down...

• Like 32

3 hours ago, Marklo said:

nicked

Don’t nick the strips of balsa to make waves! They are far too regular and don’t look realistic at all - I’ve spent a lot of time squishing them to lessen the effect.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

The main well in place:

F779-EB1-B-15-E2-497-D-BC4-A-19-AAE16103

I’ve added some scissor links to the undercarriage and sharpened up the vanes up the nozzles with a scalpel point. The front nozzles both broke in the bottom left corner with brittle plastic, even though I was taking care the second time!

58-A41-FF6-6-A52-472-F-A45-D-D4922-E1-F4

• Like 7

There's some proper modelling going on here. I really like the aluminium foil sea on the Cutty Sark (must remember it if ever get round to making the Tamiya 1/700 KGV I found in my late Father's hobby room) and the Harrier wheelwells are most excellent.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

crackin’ thread!

Thanks! I did a similar thing last year and it really helps to get stuff off the shelf and into the finished boxes. I'm trying to avoid group builds until I'm done though ;)

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

P1127

It got displaced by a VEB Mi-4 in the GB last year that was a bit of a filler monster, and I've given @CedB's project on the same kit fair leeway, so it's the right time. 

1 hour ago, Beard said:

aluminium foil sea

"Other methods are available" (see Maritime section and elsewhere on t'web). It works for me for a small base. I brushed PVA over the back of the foil to stick it down. As I said to Mark, the straight balsa strips for waves didn't really work out. One bonus for this model was that when I cut through the foil over the ship-shaped hole, I pulled some of it upwards to make the bow wave - that worked out very nicely. In theory the ship should pop out easily to go in the display cradle from the kit, but since the last coat of gloss on the water it seems to have got stuck...

• Like 4

Um, Adrian, I think the wings should be horizontal? Unless it's an early Osprey? :D 

Now that you're onto winged things and making a far better job than I did, I'll follow along!

Of course… :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fuselage is stuck together:

28403190-E5-FB-4-EA9-8-A49-E7-AFD7993433
My fix to widen the front fuselage to meet the canopy has worked well (and incidentally made the front fuselage the same size as the back of the nose probe!) but the canopy is very distorting even after a dip in Future. The cockpit detail isn’t good enough to leave the canopy open, and I’m not going to vac one so it will have to do.

• Like 10