Spitfire Mk. Vb 1/48

Hi everyone 

Here are a few photos of my latest model I built, its another Tamiya Spitfire, they're the kind of model I decided to build when another project has lost my interest.

I've been trying a few different things here and there, specfically pre- shading through marbling and chipping effects; sadly my phone camera hasn't really picked the marbling effect, even whilst I look across at it now its pretty faint. So perhaps next time ill go a bit heavier on it.

Not really much to say about the build, we all know how nicely these Tamiya kits go together, however im still not a huge fan of the decals with the white base for the roundels. I was going to airbrush them on with stencils but as I wanted to finish the kit before Monday I decided against this.

Hope you all enjoy

Thanks,

Ryan 

20210128_210708 20210128_210656 20210128_210713 20210128_210742 20210128_210757 20210128_210817

• Like 41

Excellent work Ryan. If it was mine, I'm not sure I'd want to go heavier on the pre-shading and marble effect. The paint and restrained weathering look just right!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the comments guys, really appreciate it. 

I've just gone and bought five Eduard spitfires. Turns out Eduard's website for weekend editions and overtrees are cheaper than what i can get them for anywhere else. Even with the postage cost! 

On 2/4/2021 at 2:32 PM, redleader said:

Great job, chipping is just right IMO. What's your technique? Wish Tamiya would do a 1/32 Mk I.

Hi mate

I've been using a lot of Vallejo product as of late, they're a lot cheaper than some stuff out there but I found that they have to be thinned down with their own brand thinner, I think maybe this comes down to a lot of their products not being polyurethane- acrylic mixes; im sure someone will correct me if im wrong! In any case, once I started to use their own thinners, I started to get some pretty nice results with them. 

So for the chipping, I slapped on a bit of Ak extreme metal paint, some of the Vallejo chipping medium and then the normal painting process. They reccomend activating it with some water however usually its easy enough to scrape the areas with a toothpick to get the right look. 

Still a bit of practicing from me to get it spot on, but its getting pretty close now.

I'd love to see a 32nd Mk.I, I reckon the weathering possibilites on that would be really fun!! I bet it would have a pretty heavy price tag being a new tamiya kit 😅

Sorry for the late reply, hope you are well.

Cheers,

Ryan

• Thanks 2