What’s this aircraft

JohnT

I was watching some recorded tv on “The Race for Radar” documentary and see a film of 4-5 aircraft which are very 1930’s looking for all the world like an Amiot 140. 2 engines, open cockpit, high wing spatted wheels, square angular fuselage, glass front to fuselage like the Amiot. I’d swear it was French. 
But there are large swastikaa on the fin and rudder!??? What are they?

12 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Possibly a Dornier 11 or 13 from the description.

And 1 coconut for one first prize goes to the handsome elderly chap in the corner!!

Never seen or heard of one but Googled it and hey presto there it was. 

Great shout Graham, thanks 

• Like 1

Just had a look at the Dornier designs of that 1930-36 period. The 1930’s was the decade of aircraft designs hit with the ugly stick right enough. I knew some British and French designs were pretty strange to look at but hadn’t appreciated the Germans were trying for the prize for if it looks wrong it probably flies wrong as well as the rest of us

• Like 1

If you have a look at Russian, Japanese, Italian etc aircraft of this period, which I would describe as the late 20s/early 30s in design terms, you might adjust your ideas about what looks wrong for the period.  You are not going to get the smooth lines possible with stressed-skin structures, retractable undercarriages etc that we have become accustomed to from later periods.  You might as well laugh at an aircraft from this period because it has some funny metal fan thing whizzing round at the front.  They all flew.  OK, some better than others, and I don't think the Dornier was one of the best, but they did the job they were designed to do  There are an awful lot of much more shapely aircraft that didn't.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

If you have a look at Russian, Japanese, Italian etc aircraft of this period, which I would describe as the late 20s/early 30s in design terms, you might adjust your ideas about what looks wrong for the period.  You are not going to get the smooth lines possible with stressed-skin structures, retractable undercarriages etc that we have become accustomed to from later periods.  You might as well laugh at an aircraft from this period because it has some funny metal fan thing whizzing round at the front.  They all flew.  OK, some better than others, and I don't think the Dornier was one of the best, but they did the job they were designed to do  There are an awful lot of much more shapely aircraft that didn't.

Good point well made

You can understand what a revelation and impact new designs from Douglas, Lockheed, Heinkel and others made when they came along slightly later in time. Must have looked quite futuristic