HMS Sjöormen submarine, add the Näcken class to this.

Orso

s-ormen_01.JPG

For several years I searched for the kit of the HMS Västergötland and finally found one. But I needed two to be able to convert one to the extended submarine as well. Considering how difficult it was to find a kit, I had no great hope of finding a second one so I tried to make a silicone mold of the bow and aft and trying to scratch build the rest.

s-ormen_02.JPG

A plastic tube was mounted between the polyester castings and Magic Sculp was used to build up the hull.

s-ormen_03.JPG

One year later I was lucky enough to get a second kit so the project started was scrapped and the new kit was cut into two parts instead.
This is how far I can go before I found the kit.

s-ormen_04.JPG

Having thoughts about scratchbuiling a couple of earlier submarines I have come to the conclusion that I can use parts of my discontinued project for an HMS Sjöormen. I removed the bow and will use the stern with the plastic tube. It will be a minor reshaping of the part but it will probably work even if the polyester part is very hard.
Sadly the plastic tube was a little too short for this boat so a piece had to be added giving an extra joint to hide. A new nose in Magic Sculp has been started.

It is a bit sad that there is a kit of this subarine but it is in 1/700 scale and that is not what I build.

Edited by Orso
  • Like 8

s-ormen_05.JPG

I am gluing layers of thick plastic card together for the sail so there isn't to much progress to show. I have finished the shape of the nose so  the next step will be a coat of primer to show were i need to add some filler.

neptun_01.JPG

I got some nose parts left over that I decided to use. I have reshaped the unpainted one and aiming for another Swedish sub. HMS Neptun of the Näcken class.

neptun_02.JPG

To this I added a plastic tube and a nose from the Heller SAAB Viggen.

neptun_03.JPG

I glued a piece of thin plastic card on the tube ti increase the diameter and some thick pc on the back. The shape of the Viggen nose has started to change with some Magic Sculp.

The other nose will come in use for building the  HMS Näcken that when modernised with a Stirling engine got longer. 

• Like 2

• Orso changed the title to HMS Sjöormen submarine, add the Näcken class to this.

nacken_01.JPG

I'm not thinking out of the box. I'm digging in the box using what I can for my projects. I decided to start on a parallel build of the HMS Näcken as it will be the same work to do as the Neptun. Only the length will differ (well mostly).

Another Viggen nose was sacrificed and grafted to a plastic tube. The tube had a layer of plastic card added to increase the diameter.

nacken_02.JPG

Magic Sculp was used to alter the shape of the Viggen nose. The second of the left over submarine noses has been reshaped an everything is ready to be cut in the right length and put together.

Back to the Sjöormen.

s-ormen_06.JPG

While fixing the diameter of the Näcken it dawned to me that I totally forgot to do the same on Sjöormen. Two layers of plastic card was glued to the submarine.

s-ormen_07.JPG

Then the rest had to be built up with Magic Sculp. Now I'm back to were I left off the last time.

• Like 6

• 2 years later...

s-ormen_08.JPG

I have decided to make a restart on these. HMS Sjöormen had a crash dive when I had it puttied and sanded. It broke in two pieces when it landed on the floor after rolled of the table so I had to restart with the filler. I have now started on the sail as well.  

neptun_04.JPG

HMS Neptun has got a keel and the sail has been started.

nacken_03.JPG

HMS Näcken has reached the same state as Neptun. Now I start to feel that it might be possible to finish them.

• Like 4

Sadly the URF wasn't ready for rescue duty but luckily it was very shallow water so no harm on the crew. But this only show that the URF need to be finished rapidly. 😄

• Like 1