MiG interior colour

TonyOD

Quick question if I may? I'm starting a MiG-21 shortly and the cockpit interior appears to be a quite nasty shade of turquoise. Is there an-off-the-shelf paint out there that is something lik? Acrylic or enamel, either will do. Doesn't have to bear scrutiny from the accuracy police.

Thanks

Hi - not sure this is helpful, it might depend on whether you are using pre-printed photo etch.

I built an Eduard 1/48 Mig21 SMT a couple of years back and as I was the advice I got was to mix Mr Hobby "Sky Blue" H25 and "Emerald Green" H46 approximately 50/50 as there was nothing off the shelf that would match the Eduard photoetch. Not a brand I normally use but I mixed them in a pot and tweaked them until perfect. Mixing paint is normally a nightmare for me but in this case it was just a question of "a bit greener" or "a bit bluer" and really easy to do.

But if it's painting plastic or resin without a need to match then this might do? I know it's easily available in the UK. 

https://www.migjimenez.com/en/acrylic-colors/486-interior-turquoise-green.html

TBH it looks a bit less blue and garish than what I mixed, and Eduard supplied, but hard to tell from a computer monitor.

There is also quite a debate here that came too late for my build with many other suggestions from learned members of the site.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235020413--/page/1/

Best wishes

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

We make it too - ACSM07

ACSM07_2048x2048.jpg?v=1609598977

Good to know. I've just spent a couple of quid on the Mig stuff as it happens, but I've had a look at your website, you do some great stuff! I've been using Humbrol's RLM 70/71 for a current build (brush painting) but they ain't the easiest, I know where to come next time...

• Like 1

Hi there

If you like Russian jet aircrat you better look for Akan paints there are 2 different cockpict colors one for MiGs and one for Sukhois fighter bombers, after you paint you notice they are really different

Cheers

Armando

• Thanks 1

Hello TonyOD,

the Russian interior turquoise is rather sensitive paint to UV light. It means that you can recognize several different shades in one cockpit. The colour can be lighter and more blueish higher on the walls and darker and more greenish lower on the side walls. Fresh paint is more green than turquoise or blue.

Here is a couple of photos of a MiG-21BIS:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And finally three different shades found in the cockpit shown above. The codes are for Natural Colour System or NCS for short.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 1/28/2021 at 1:44 PM, TonyOD said:

Quick question if I may? I'm starting a MiG-21 shortly and the cockpit interior appears to be a quite nasty shade of turquoise. Is there an-off-the-shelf paint out there that is something lik? Acrylic or enamel, either will do. Doesn't have to bear scrutiny from the accuracy police.

Thanks

If you’re an enamels chap,Tony, go for Colourcoats. 😊

Martin

• Like 1

On 1/29/2021 at 8:40 PM, Antti_K said:

the Russian interior turquoise is rather sensitive paint to UV light. It means that you can recognize several different shades in one cockpit. The colour can be lighter and more blueish higher on the walls and darker and more greenish lower on the side walls. Fresh paint is more green than turquoise or blue.

Thanks, interesting to know. I probably won’t go to the trouble of putting gradation inside a 1/72 cockpit though. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just had a quick look on google and it appears that the best mach to the photos of the MIG-21, MIG-23/27 and MIG-25 and is Mr Color C391 Interior Green, the Ammo 0223 is a bit to dark.  There are probably other matches out there, I suppose it depends how committed you are to getting the right colour match, as I have a few MIG's I am going to get a bottle of the Mr Color which should be enough for the kits I have.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, David Hadland said:

it depends how committed you are to getting the right colour match

Not that committed, there or thereabouts is fine, I ended up with the MIG Ammo stuff. I'm counting on the accuracy police not coming round and shining a torch into my 1/72 cockpit 😁

6 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

Not that committed, there or thereabouts is fine, I ended up with the MIG Ammo stuff. I'm counting on the accuracy police not coming round and shining a torch into my 1/72 cockpit 😁

Just had a look and the A.MIG-223 is, for me, the best match, it's even called Interior Turquoise Green.  So I'll probably get a bottle of that along with a bottle of the Mr Color C392 for my Suhkoi-57 

1 minute ago, David Hadland said:

So I'll probably get a bottle of that along with a bottle of the Mr Color C392 for my Suhkoi-57 

Are Sukhois different? Got a Flanker to build soon.

5 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

Are Sukhois different? Got a Flanker to build soon.

Yes for the Suhkoi's the interior was more of a blue colour like Mission Models Paint Grey Blue Cockpit Modern Russian Jets MMP-096 or Mr Color C392 Soviet Interior Blue, the one avaiable on eBay is the Mr Color one so I will be getting one of those as well.

Edited by David Hadland
Grammer
  • Thanks 1

Hey, didn't a member show all the different paints that represent the Interior Green some time ago? I can't remember his name sadly; but, it was very good and long list of the paints shown.

43 minutes ago, JPuente54 said:

Hey, didn't a member show all the different paints that represent the Interior Green some time ago? I can't remember his name sadly; but, it was very good and long list of the paints shown.

This thread?: 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235020413--/

Alas, the pictures appear to be gone. 

Cheers,

Andre