Academy 1/72 Ah-64D Block II (New Tool)

Hey all! Wishing you a happy 2021.

My first build of 2021. And what an absolute pleasure it was. Took around 10 hours over a week, and other than a minor issues of not following the instructions properly, it went together like LEGO.

I ran into a few issues with a fogged up canopy due to fumes from the primer I'm guessing, and a matte coat that wouldn't cover a glossy part and then turned the whole paintjob white. Managed to salvage it in the end and was left quite happy with the results.

I initially wasn't very excited about the overall olive drab scheme, but references online threw up a lot of interesting weathered aircraft. It was good practice for my detail airbrushing skills, and I added some additional weathering with oil paints.

The hellfire missiles were painted a brighter green (to add some color to an otherwise unsaturated model) and I used chrome decal and a bead of white glue for the nose for the Laser seeker head. The tires were sanded down for the classic Apache weighted look.

Highly recommended build. Plus Academy has released a AgustaWestland Apache version as well.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for watching!

Cheers,

Alex.

Edited by alxzinbox
  • Like 45

Fantastic job. Sometimes I manage to distance myself from the idea that these little plastic models we build represent killing machines, but there's no mistaking this one.

• Like 1

Wow, that's one mean Apache. You've captured the look, the stance, and the brutal capability of this helicopter. I think your painting skills have really made this model realistic. Great job!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Classic looking Apache! Great paintwork and excellent presentation with that black background! And you say it was 10 hour work? Wow!!! I kind of get this is partially because of olive drab scheme overall and great fit but still very impressive! 

• Like 1