Meng 1/48 P-51D Mustang

My latest completion and third Mustang. This time I opted for the Meng kit which is advertised as a snap together kit and it virtually does all snap together so well that very little Tamiya Extra Thin was harmed in the making of this kit. The engineering of the kit hides most of the joints or has them follow panel lines which makes for a very clean build, the under belly intake is a one piece item that has no seams to hide (unlike the Eduard kit). The details are not dumbed down at all as you might have expected and the parts count is over 100 pieces so it's a proper model in it's own right and very underrated.

I did make some changes as I wanted a Dash 15 so I removed the small air intake on the port engine cowling, filled some panels underneath and added a couple of others and changed the kit's elevators for fabric covered types from the spares left over from an Eduard Mustang. I also used decals left over from the Eduard ProfiPack kit.

Painted using Tamiya AS-12 decanted from the rattle can for the fixed parts of the wings (and as an undercoat all over) and various shades of AK Interactive Xtreme Metal for the other areas.

I had a few self inflicted problems along the way, I had three attempts at spraying the stars 'n' bars on the fuselage and mucked every attempt up so had to use decals which I also managed to muck up once too (that's why the wing markings are a slightly different shade to the fuselage). I managed to break one of the undercarriage legs and had to pin it (you can just about make out where the break was if you look for it). I also got right to the end only to remove the canopy masks to find the inside covered in a residue from spraying so had to hack the canopy off to clean it out, hence the rather untidy canopy to fuselage joint. Right at the death I also managed to stick my thumb in dust coloured oil paint and then spread it all around the blue nose! None of these problems were down to the kit, I'm just clumsy.

IMG_8272_HEIC-L.jpg

IMG_8274_HEIC-L.jpg

IMG_8278_HEIC-L.jpg

IMG_8283_HEIC-L.jpg

IMG_8284_HEIC-L.jpg

IMG_8287_HEIC-L.jpg

IMG_8290_HEIC-L.jpg

That's enough NMF for me for now so onto something with a proper coat of paint next.

Duncan B

• Like 70
  • Thanks 2

Given the appearance of your model and the comments regarding the fit of the pieces, this is one I'm going to be looking for purchase. Beautifully built, by the way.

• Thanks 1

Hey, you've sold me on one of these too Duncan; that's a super scale model sir and I want one too!   You may see your mistakes, we see a beautiful Mustang.  Well done fer sure!  :clap2:

Btw-Which kind of Pace do you prefer?   Mild, medium or hot?   It's pretty good stuff (for"store bought" 😉) and I find the hot just about right for enjoyable chip dippin'.   And it goes without sayin' (but I will anyway of course) that it goes down even better with a few ice-cold Dox Equis!😁

• Thanks 1

That is a really good looking Mustang, I see no sign of your trials and tribulations Duncan. In one sense it's nice to know its not just me that creates self inflicted problems on models!  I'd not heard of this kit before, you've done a very impressive job with it.

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

Well done Duncan, sterling model.

That NMF looks superb. Congrats and keep up the good work.

Your trials and tribulations only went for 5 and a bit lines, not bad in my books. I try to reduce mine on every new kit only to find new self inflicted problems or new ways to repeat old ones. 🤬

When I finally complete a perfect model perfectly I'll give the hobby away while on top. (yeah, like that will ever happen!)

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

Hey, you've sold me on one of these too Duncan; that's a super scale model sir and I want one too!   You may see your mistakes, we see a beautiful Mustang.  Well done fer sure!  :clap2:

Btw-Which kind of Pace do you prefer?   Mild, medium or hot?   It's pretty good stuff (for"store bought" 😉) and I find the hot just about right for enjoyable chip dippin'.   And it goes without sayin' (but I will anyway of course) that it goes down even better with a few ice-cold Dox Equis!😁

Pace is a very difficult thing to find in the UK so I'll take whatever I can get, it's the best shop bought salsa I've ever found. Whenever I'm over visiting my sister in the US my first port of call on the way from the airport is to Walmart to get a big tub of the stuff :).

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments on the kit, it really is a very underrated kit and well worth having a look at if you can get one for a decent price (the RRP is way off so shop around).

Duncan B

• Like 2

The joys of modelling, eh Duncan!?

I think we have all been there at some point ............   

Despite your problems, it looks great to me and I love your lovely clean metallic look.

Regards

Dave

• Thanks 1

IF you can keep your head, while budgering up your paintwork, the decals, the masking AND the final weathering, and STILL produce an outstanding Mustang, you'll be a man my son...

I think it goes something like that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2