Airfix spares - Bren Gun Carrier & 6 pounder anti-tank gun

danbuoy

Hi, has anyone had any experience getting spare kit parts from Airfix? I have just started their tiny Bren Gun Carrier with anti tank gun, and one of the pieces for the gun hasn't been formed properly, and about a third of the piece is missing. It is the axle and wheel mount piece (part number 32), and I can't build the gun without it, and (for me at least) the piece looks a bit too complex to try and bodge something. Looking at the plastic where the piece is missing, it is smooth which is why I don't think it has broken off. The kit was bought new, but years ago (its from the 2004 D-Day anniversary set). The kit is still listed on the Airfix website, so I was thinking of contacting them. They have sent out spare decal sheets before, but as the part is attached to a sprue, I wasn't sure if they could easily send them out.

There was a time Airfix kits came with a little card, you could fill it out with details of the broken/missing part and post it off to them. They'd then send you the part. An e-mail to them might produce the same result?

Yeah, I've sent off a request via the Airfix website, but that was a couple of days ago and not heard anything yet. Mind you, they are probably working with a reduced staff.

Before the pandemic (I've not needed them since it started) they took 1 to 2 days when I contacted them through their website.I'd expect this now to be longer due to staffing levels. I've never had any trouble getting spares out of them, free of charge and without proof of purchase, so long as the kit was still in stock, as the OP surmised. IIRC the last thing I got was some of the 1/72nd Concorde transparancy, which they detached from the sprue and sent very adequatly padded. Bad news, it was the wrong part, good news, I told them I'd broken the original bit and it was my own fault yet they still tried to help. Oh yes, just remembered, I did need to send a photo once when they sent a replacement of a handed part that was the wrong one. The right one came within 24 hours.

During the previous management I think they kept a much larger stock of spares, so since then people have been more disgruntled with them because spares tend to run out very quickly after a production run. Asking them costs nothing, anyway.

Paul.

• Like 1

Yes, they have helped me out before too with some decals and Corgi have always been great with spare parts, but I've still not heard back from Airfix this time.

I ordered some parts for a 1/24th Mosquito about two years ago. Including delivery, they cost me £18.00 or so, which I considered fairly reasonable when you remember what the kit retailed for when new. 

I have read that some makers only keep a "spares-stock" of kits that appear in their current catalogue (I think Revell were one such company). I would give Airfix another 8-10 days to reply. If they don't get back to you, send them a gentle reminder. Things are bound to take a lot longer during the pandemic.

Alternative to going to Airfix, you could keep an eye out on E-Bay. Someone might sell a "spares or repairs" gun on there, for a very cheap price...

Good luck in sourcing what you are after.

Chris. 

• Thanks 1