Large Aircraft Stands - Any advice please?

Mikey-1980

Hi everyone!

I'm seeking some advice and hopefully being pointed in the right direction please?

I am toying with the idea of building both the Vulcan (XM607) and the Victor (XL189) in 1/72 and in the refueling position ahead of the final run towards the Falklands during the Blackbuck 1 mission.

The issue I am facing is finding a stand or connections that are suitable for both aircraft, which as you know are quite large!

If anyone has any advice, tip or where I can look to achieve this, it would be massively appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Mike

I would suggest that the most direct and simple answer is to just build one. MDF is inexpensive, readily available in a wide variety of sizes and thicknesses and is easily cut to any shape you wish.

Perhaps make a single base with a couple of stands. Hold the stands in place with PVA and dowels.

Paint the whole thing with a couple of layers of MDF primer and sand it smooth then spray paint it black or dark grey or whatever colour you prefer.

I can’t post a link right now but have a look at my Mig 15 build for an example of how a simple stand made this way looks when finished.

It’ll look great with two jets in formation refueling! 

• Thanks 1

For large models like that, I make the stand from MDF - then the alumium tube from old archery arrows.

Here, a few I've completed.

Airfix-AS58-Horsa.jpg

Airfix_HurricaneMcK1.jpg

Airfix-Nimrod-R1-RS.jpg

But, another idea for a refueling scene, 

Matchbox-Victor.jpg

Refuelling hoses made from thin electical cable, with basket on the end.  Bluetak inside to secure to the probe.

Matchbox-Buccaneer.jpg

Here the models are hung from a cross arrangement to put them into the correct position.

Fiddley to get right, but rewarding.

It's confined to my loft, but I'll take more photos next time I venture up there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

These look awesome!

Thank you for sharing.

My main concern it the connection the underside of the aircraft. What did you use please?

I have toyed with using these Ball joints to I can position the aircraft and have some flexibility. The issue is the connection for the female part is at 90 degrees and not 180 degrees below the female socket

Ball Joint socket - Linky

Once or twice for an airliner I've used clear acrylic rod, set into a wooden base. The rod goes all the way to the inside top of the fuselage so it can't slip. If you want it removable then I suggest (though I haven't done it but can't see why it wouldn't work) glueing a suitably sized receiving tube into the fuselage.

Paul.

Gotcha!

Almost like a tightly fitting sleeve?

2 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Hi Mikey,  Experimentation. Some of my models are permanently attached to their stands.

For more recent, the arrow goes into a plastic tube - something like an old pen, installed thru the model.

10 minutes ago, Paul Thompson said:

Once or twice for an airliner I've used clear acrylic rod, set into a wooden base. The rod goes all the way to the inside top of the fuselage so it can't slip. If you want it removable then I suggest (though I haven't done it but can't see why it wouldn't work) glueing a suitably sized receiving tube into the fuselage.

Paul.

Thanks Paul, :)

Great ideas there.....a trip to B&Q soon

I once saw atTelford a 1/72 KC-10 refuelling an SR-71, the builder used a metal rod to connect  the 2 aircraft down the refuelling boom looked very impressive as basically looked like there was nothing holding the 71 up,

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Julien said:

I once saw atTelford a 1/72 KC-10 refuelling an SR-71, the builder used a metal rod to connect  the 2 aircraft down the refuelling boom looked very impressive as basically looked like there was nothing holding the 71 up,

I dont suppose you have any pictures of this at all?

That must have been a seriously strong rod?

12 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

I dont suppose you have any pictures of this at all?

That must have been a seriously strong rod?

Sorry was years ago now. Was pretty strong

If you are careful with your viewing angle, bent metal rod can be placed out of sight by being a bit creative with your angles.

The Dornier below first had a brass tube fixing it to the base. It's too distinctive though, and catches the eye a bit, so I tried a 'C' shaped metal rod, curving away from the lower port side of the fuselage and entering the base to the rear 3/4 point.

IMG-2293.jpg

The curved rod is pretty much invisible from most viewing angles, as shown here...

IMG-2351.jpg

IMG-2357.jpg

A paper spike was also tried. It looks OK, but I prefer the bigger base.

IMG-2309.jpg

Here's a bigger plane, also sat on a paper spike. The cost pennies and look the part on a lot of builds.

IMG-9393.jpg

This Javelin sits on a camera swivel mount, it can be turned and locked into position easily enough. They are a couple of quid on ebay. The mount is joined into a toilet roll holder tube. I screwed the mount into the fuselage of the plane and it's held up so far.  The base is from an old uplighter lamp.

chrome-javelin.jpg

Early FROG stands had a really nice swoopy shape to them. Something like that might be an option as well.

IMG-7963.jpg

Also FROG, was this V1/Spitfire stand, used here with a Tempest. Something larger might work for you.

IMG-7874.jpg

Finally, how about making one from MDF, as suggested above? I made this XL5 stand many years ago. The base follows the rear pod shape of the spaceship. It was painted with car spray.

IMG-2806.jpg

Tony.

These are fantastic Tony!

Really appreciate it :)

How may I ask, did you attached the C shaped rod to the underside of the Dornier? The effect of flight is really quite something.

This effect is close to what i am thinking of doing?  Plans have slightly changed for the Vulcan, and I am tempted to portray XL317 from 617Sq as it had the capability to carry Blue Steel.

the bonus for this is that there is already a hole cut into the bomb bay for a potential mount point with out the need for further modification. Just hoping that the center of gravity on the build will be suitable for it though. 

Cheers

Mike

• Thanks 1

Thanks Mike.

I drilled a hole in the lower rear of the fuselage, at around the point of balance, and then shaped the rod to fit into the engine support structure. Then I bent the 'C' section after trying all kinds of angles and shapes. The 'C' hid itself better than the other attempts. Once I got the bit that shows sorted, I bent the rod vertical where it goes into the base and drilled the base to suit. The whole rod can be removed from the base and the aircraft for storage.

I would show more detailed pictures, but the model is at a mates place at the moment.

Tony.

• Thanks 1