Honda Jet - 1/48 Ebbro

Here is my 1/48 Honda Jet. It is the Ebbro kit.  A very interesting build that has the fuselage made from 3 main parts, left and right 'lower/rear' sections and a 'front/upper' section moulded in coloured plastic.  There are two of these one red and one blue.   I painted the upper part as the naked blue didn't look 'finished' to me.  The upper part can be installed without glue as it is a press-fit, allowing it to be removed to show your friends where you will be sipping G&T's when you win the lotto!

The whole model was painted using Tamiya paints, primed with super -fine white laquer, white areas are de-canted TS-27 Pure white applied with an airbrush, the blue upper fuselage is X-4 gloss blue acrylic.  The leading edges of the wings and tail are chrome-plated parts from the kit.  The sprue attachment points were touched up with a chrome paint stick. The blue trim is all done by decals which performed well but needed strong decal solutions to coax around the tight curves of the engines.

The fit of the parts is very very good and in some cases glue is not really required - the chrome leading edges are simply pushe on.

I think the kit is now discontinued but available from shops.

This is a special subject to me, I worked for Honda Canada head office for 28 years and watched the development of this jet from the beginnings in the 1980s.  It is a typical Honda, bigger than expected interior, simple interior design, efficient use of space, innovative engine placement and the most fuel efficient engines (Honda/GE collaboration) in its class.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Bill Bunting
  • Like 38
  • Thanks 2

Brilliant build, especially those chrome parts look pristine!
Also diggin' that removable roof, very cool idea for presentation, something a little bit different than the usual stuff. Love the whole subject, the Honda Jet is one of the coolest looking modern planes IMO :) 

• Thanks 1

On 28/01/2021 at 4:47 PM, Alan P said:

Very good and nice to see something so original. 

Does this company do any other corporate jet models? 

Thanks.  I don't think that Ebbro does any other aircraft. They specialize in cars, die cast and kits.  Mostly racing cars and as Ebbro is a Japanese company,  they tend to favour those types.  I think they did this Honda Jet because of Honda's car and racing history and the idea that they stepped outside of motorcycles,  cars and power equipment to build a world class executive jet and its engines.  Ebbro introduced the kit in 2018, did 2 releases of different colours and discontinued it in 2020.  Too bad, as this is a great model.

• Thanks 1