Phantom FGR.2 grey color

ScheF15

Dear all,

I am about to build the Airfix 1:72 Phantom FGR.2 scale model, but after studying the color schemes I am a bit puzzled. For the No.1435 Flight version (1991), it reads Barley Grey BS 381C.626 (equals Humbrol 167 apparently) is needed for fuselage and wing upper sides. However, according to color schemes by Model Decal and AirDOC, this should be Barley Grey BS 4800.118.21.

Now, I want my model to represent XV430/C of 19 squadron (1982), so is the 'Falklands grey' actually different from the 'RAFG grey'? And if so, can anyone give me correct paint code for BS 4800.118.21 (preferably Humbrol)?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

There's no difference between the two schemes: when Barley Grey was introduced it was a color chosen from the BS4800 standard, where was listed as 18B,21, After the adoption for use in aircraft camouflage, the same colour was introduced in BS381c as 626, so the different designations simply depend on when the decal instruction sheets were prepared.

Later the same colour was renamed Camouflage Grey, that is name by which it's known today in BS 381c. The colour is however always the same

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 3

Rob

The Humbrol colours you need are:

166 Light Aircraft Grey for the underside

165 Medium Sea Grey for the upper  inner wings

167 RAF Barley Grey for the fuselage, fin, upper outer wing panels (the folding bits!) and upper tail planes.

Check pictures for the inner pylons because some remained the original white.

The air brake recess will be light aircraft grey, the inner side of the air brakes will be a pink colour - originally red they were often lightly over sprayed in the underside colour.

The radome tended to weather at a different rate so can appear as a different grey.

Take real care over the Airfix kit because the tolerances are very tight and it's a case of fit, sand, fit, sand etc until you are happy.

Particular areas to work on:

the cockpit tub fitting into the fuselage

the 4 way join with the fuselage/fin

the intake trunking can catch on the little boxes moulded onto the inner side of the lower wing.

reinforcing strips on the wing tanks should only be on the left side not both

Decal sheet is very good.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Thank you guys!

After reading my message again, I realize I've twisted the truth a bit, I'm sorry. The point is that I currently have two Phantom kits in progress: one Matchbox oldie and a newer Airfix one. For both sentimental and practical reasons (no Radar Warning Receiver) I want the Matchbox one to look like the grey XV430/C of 19 Sqn, which I photographed in 1982 in the RAF Wildenrath approach. For the painting instructions I turned to the Airfix model kit, because the Matchbox kit is from 1975 I believe, when the grey schemes hadn't been applied yet. Hence the question about the grey color.

The tips on the Airfix kit are most welcome! I hadn't spot yet the double reinforcement strips on the fuel tanks. Grinding the right one off will not be too difficult, but I discovered the Matchbox wing tanks don't have reinforcement strips at all! Now, I checked Hannants for spare wing tanks, but couldn't find any. Is there any alternative for the Hannants website where I could find replacement tanks?

Thanks in advance,

Rob