Airfix 1/72 Douglas A-4P Skyhawk (Argentine Air Force) [FINISHED]

klr

Such is my collection if kits "in progress", I went back and forth (and every other direction) deciding what to finish. First up, the Airfix Skyhawk. While this kit is built from the starter pack, early releases of that included the "full" decal sheet, with markings for the Argentine Air Force, as well as the USN:

142694-18633-80-720.webp

So here was the kit as I left it a couple of years ago. Why did I leave it be? Who knows? Only the arrestor hook needs to be attached, and that because I need to finish painting it first.

IMG_20210121_144946_dr_025.jpg

IMG_20210121_145026_dre_025.jpg

So, after a rush of painting, and some decals:

IMG_20210123_141337_dre_025.jpg

... and more painting (including the canopy framing) and decals:

IMG_20210126_120035_dr_025.jpg

Note that this is mostly just a first coat of paint. I probably won't apply a full second coat, but will do extensive touching up. I'll leave the drop tanks for now, as they are easy to hold onto while detail painting with a (hopefully) steady hand.

Note the different hue of Hu 65 light blue under the nose, compared to what I applied from an older tin a few years ago. In fact, all three main colours are "different" to what I had originally been using.

IMG_20210126_120049_dr_025.jpg

Since this photo was taken, the "40" serial on the nose-wheel bay door has been applied, as has the yellow band on the Mk 117 bomb.

As time allows, I hope to make a lot of progress over the next few days.

Edited by klr

• 2 weeks later...

Right, thanks to massive demand (not !!!), here are some updates. The airframe has been completely repainted and cleaned up:

IMG_20210204_130436_dre_025.jpg

IMG_20210204_130449_dr_025.jpg

The drop tanks are now being painted and decalled. I will also need to find the arrestor hook (mislaid!), or make up and paint a replacement pretty quickly.

• Like 1

Sneaking in at the last minute, as usual, and with the usual poor lighting conditions (EDIT: replaced with a better quality photo):

DSC01460_dre_020.jpg

I may build this kit again for the upcoming A-4 GB, along with some other kits of course.

Edited by klr
new photo
  • Like 3

• klr changed the title to Airfix 1/72 Douglas A-4P Skyhawk (Argentine Air Force) [FINISHED]