Late model Harrier gun packs

dad's lad

I've acquired the Airfix 1/72 Harrier GR.7/9 and am going to convert it back to a GR.5 using the nose from the earlier Airfix model using advice of further modifications that I found on Britmodeller. I've also found a discussion of a typical load on the GR.5 on this site which suggests that gun packs were carried. So far so good. However, the new Airfix model doesn't have gun packs, is this because the GR.7/9 rarely carried them? I'm loathe to use the guns from the old kit so will probably go aftermarket but I was just curious as to why Airfix may have omitted the guns when they are such a noticeable fit on most Harriers. As a matter of interest, a quick search for pictures of GR.9's shows MOST but not all fitted with strakes rather than guns.

Clive.

3 hours ago, dad's lad said:

I'm loathe to use the guns from the old kit so will probably go aftermarket

Sadly you'll have to, there aren't any aftermarket.

3 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

but second gen RAF Harriers didn’t carry the gun pods.

They did, but were essentially just glorified strakes. Long story short, instead of using the tried and tested 30mm Aden cannon of the earlier generation Harriers, it was decided to develop a new 25mm cannon. The development problems weren't overcome, the new cannon didn't work and never entered production and was never fitted hence why the pods were just a 'fat strake'.

Mark.

• Like 1

Pavla do guns for Harriers and Sea Harriers. http://www.pavlamodels.cz/katalogy/detail.php?k=air&m=72&c=117&styl=styly.css. I don't know if Hannants have them presently but worth a look as tats where I got mine a few years ago. You may be able be able to get them direct from Pavla but I know getting things from the EU is currently challenging. 

7 minutes ago, 825 said:

Pavla do guns for Harriers and Sea Harriers. http://www.pavlamodels.cz/katalogy/detail.php?k=air&m=72&c=117&styl=styly.css. I don't know if Hannants have them presently but worth a look as tats where I got mine a few years ago. You may be able be able to get them direct from Pavla but I know getting things from the EU is currently challenging. 

Thanks for that, from what was said above I'm assuming that these would be the earlier guns fitted to 1st gen Harriers and not appropriate for a GR.5?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 825 said:

Pavla do guns for Harriers and Sea Harriers.

Only appropriate for early Harriers, but even then not worth the money as they are inaccurate (ISTR too fat?).

2 hours ago, dad's lad said:

from what was said above I'm assuming that these would be the earlier guns fitted to 1st gen Harriers and not appropriate for a GR.5?

Correct!

Mark.

4 hours ago, dad's lad said:

Thanks for the replies all, so if I don't fit guns to my GR.5, what would a typical ordnance load look like? Would the centreline pylon be used at all?

Not as many options for the GR5 as the GR7 and 9. The centreline pylon starts to see most use from the GR7 onwards, particularly with the airframes deployed to Incirlik post Op Granby (Gulf War 1) where it was used to mount the recce pod. I'll finish making myself brunch and have a trawl through my references and see if I can't find some pics of GR5 loads other than trials and tests. Do you have a particular Squadron/airframe in mind?

Mark.

ZD322 with 4xCBLS.

ZD324 with Phimat, Aqui SW, tanks and baggage pod.

ZD412 with Aqui SW, tanks and baggage pod.

3 Sqn AC with Aqui SW tanks, baggage pod and CBLS.

ZD346 Trials with full BL755 and AIM-9.

Edited by Harry Lime
Add pic links for load outs.

30 minutes ago, Harry Lime said:

Not as many options for the GR5 as the GR7 and 9. The centreline pylon starts to see most use from the GR7 onwards, particularly with the airframes deployed to Incirlik post Op Granby (Gulf War 1) where it was used to mount the recce pod. I'll finish making myself brunch and have a trawl through my references and see if I can't find some pics of GR5 loads other than trials and tests. Do you have a particular Squadron/airframe in mind?

Mark.

ZD322 with 4xCBLS.

Thanks, I'm using Modeldecals which provide 233 OCU, 3 Sqn,1 Sqn and A&AEE.  Most pictures that I can find show mainly empty pylons, very few even carrying tanks, but I would like a full load as far as I can get it.

Clive

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Harry Lime said:

Mark.

ZD322 with 4xCBLS.

ZD324 with Phimat, Aqui SW, tanks and baggage pod.

ZD412 with Aqui SW, tanks and baggage pod.

3 Sqn AC with Aqui SW tanks, baggage pod and CBLS.

I've looked for those CBLS in 1/72 in the past for BAe Hawks but couldn't find any. I wonder how easy they would be to scratch build?

17 minutes ago, dad's lad said:

I've looked for those CBLS in 1/72 in the past for BAe Hawks but couldn't find any.

Freightdog used to do them, I have several stashed away. They also came with the Flightpath set for the Italeri hawk, might be worth asking if someone has them going spare? Alternatively, Air-Graphics have them available here for £6.50 a pair if you can spring for them.

Mark.

2 hours ago, Harry Lime said:

Freightdog used to do them, I have several stashed away. They also came with the Flightpath set for the Italeri hawk, might be worth asking if someone has them going spare? Alternatively, Air-Graphics have them available here for £6.50 a pair if you can spring for them.

Mark.

Thanks Mark, I've ordered some Air Graphics ones, missed them completely the last time I looked. I can now get on with my Hawk too!

• Like 1