SAMI/MAM/ and SMMi update on missing issues and future publication dates.

WarthogMKL

2 hours ago, Random Username said:

Still waiting December and January I see February shown on app not sure I should expect that soon 

Can you back track through the thread and contact me on my email.

Jan is printed Feb is going to be early next week and we managed to get an earlier than planned  slot for March issue so that will go to press Monday week.

But we are holding Jan at printers while we hold talks to find a way these can get to customers as another large loss of December reprinted issue once handed over to the postal service  is looking likely after we had the false dawn of Novembers being delivered with only 1 loss due to water damage so far.

i however have 500 copies in my garage (though they took over a week to get to me rather than the promised 24 hours by courier not RM) that we had printed just in case.

Digital copies have never been affected, as I have said the past all the issues we have had are with third parties, printers (COVID closures) and losses in post.

The editors and studio staff have delivered every issue on its normal schedule even when I had Covid. So the digital copies can go straight on sale as soon as we send them to printers. March issue was handed over three weeks ago and I am just finishing Aprils which will be ready to go next week.

D

5 hours ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

I'm also Looking forward to their returning to shops soon,  it's been a long wait glad things are coming back on track at last for you Dave 

Eamonn 

Quick update Jan subscribers copies are being handled by a new company and will now depart from Leeds so hopefully that will solve the biggest issue, will be with them Tuesday.

All internet orders for Jan issue have been posted now waiting for Feb and March due 4-8 days.

As for shops, the plan is still from April issue they will be back in all shops as they were before lockdown.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WarthogMKL said:

As for shops, the plan is still from April issue they will be back in all shops as they were before lockdown.

Well as I have missed many copies due to them not being available in my newsagents, I won't be buying them should they re-appear there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nigel Bunker said:

Well as I have missed many copies due to them not being available in my newsagents, I won't be buying them should they re-appear there.

Up to Today you have missed three published copies and Feb and March which is not out yet all are available to order by phone or by visiting the webste. Though a far cheaper options is to take out a 6 month sub and put a note to start from November issues 9except SAMi Nov issue is low stock and may run out in 24 hrs or less, need to check) then you would get November to Jane sent immediately with Feb and March with in 10 days and April on publication leaving you without missing any copies for £4 each. But that choice is yours just giving an option.

Edited by WarthogMKL

Had so many contradictions that confidence is low. Ordered MAM and SAMi Jan & Feb issues online on 8th Feb,

Then informed would be sent on 17th Feb, not received so informed a replacement order would be sent.

Still not received then informed that order still not sent.

Then stated on website Jan and Feb issues would be sent week 3rd March.

9 March, still waiting.

The only order I can see on the 8th Feb an email was sent 30 minutes after ordering saying would be sent when in stock no other contact is recorded.

I have updated on here many times  since then including a post two days after the order saying a 10 day delay and the further posts as the delays increased at no point have I said Feb issue was in stock.

So not sure who told you we would resend an issue we have not got and could not have sent out.

Postage paid on that order was £3.40 to send them individually would cost £4 second class or £4.80 first class so we would always have held a two magazine order till both copies  are in stock.

And as a side note we are currently dispatching all Internet orders in UK 1st class even though this is making a small loss on every order.

As I had the Jan issues yesterday day I spent this morning stuffing the envelopes ready for the Feb issue expected and will post on here as soon as I have them. Though with over 500 packages to be individually entered on the Royal Mail site it will take me at least a day to process them all.

If you want to contact me at [email protected] with your order number I will go through the 3 piles and confirm order is in stack. Would also appreciate a post on here saying it has arrived  as others have done with December issues.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WarthogMKL said:

The only order I can see on the 8th Feb an email was sent 30 minutes after ordering saying would be sent when in stock no other contact is recorded.

I have updated on here many times  since then including a post two days after the order saying a 10 day delay and the further posts as the delays increased at no point have I said Feb issue was in stock.

So not sure who told you we would resend an issue we have not got and could not have sent out.

Postage paid on that order was £3.40 to send them individually would cost £4 second class or £4.80 first class so we would always have held a two magazine order till both copies  are in stock.

And as a side note we are currently dispatching all Internet orders in UK 1st class even though this is making a small loss on every order.

As I had the Jan issues yesterday day I spent this morning stuffing the envelopes ready for the Feb issue expected and will post on here as soon as I have them. Though with over 500 packages to be individually entered on the Royal Mail site it will take me at least a day to process them all.

If you want to contact me at [email protected] with your order number I will go through the 3 piles and confirm order is in stack. Would also appreciate a post on here saying it has arrived  as others have done with December issues.

Email sent

Other magazines seemed to cope better overall. Were there other underlying issues that caused the problem - beyond Covid?

I may not buy SAMI or MAM when they come back either - but I'll maker a final decision if and when one is staring at me from a shelf at my local W H Smiths.

This is from the previous thread about the November issue, and was posted by WarthogMKL in January about problems with the magazine

" Jan issue is expected in next 7 -10 days as Printer has been closed by COVID but has now reopened though not with full staffing" 

So, when you then have to start playing catch up from a printer being closed, and not having full staff on hand to print your product (along with other publications) you have to wait your turn in the queue. This has massive knock on effects, and will take a long time to get back into a "normal" operating mode. On top of that, it's also explained that they had a contract with a distributor which stated they had a specific length of time between issues on sale. Warthog has explained this has now changed, hence why they can change their printing and publication dates. However, if their printers push them back, due to staffing levels, and contractual obligations with other publishers, there's not a lot (other than stamping their feet) that they can do about the situation! 

I know WarthogMKL, and have found him to be a pretty decent guy and not someone to mess around and give false information. He himself has also been recovering from C-19 and not exactly been in a position to do his editorial job for MA publications, so I think in someways, we need to give the company time to get themselves sorted out and to get back to some sort of normality (like the rest of the country)!

(just now awaiting the Jan & Feb issues of MA & SAMMI - and the march issues will be ordered in due course)

(ps Military Illustrated Modeller stopped being published completely until Oct , MAI reduced content, and furloughed their editor, so not all have managed to cope better!)

Edited by treker_ed
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Other magazines seemed to cope better overall. Were there other underlying issues that caused the problem - beyond Covid?

I may not buy SAMI or MAM when they come back either - but I'll maker a final decision if and when one is staring at me from a shelf at my local W H Smiths.

I have said what caused the problem and since I had the time while off with Covid I started this thread to try and keep everyone in the loop as in my view communication could have been better.

Remember this is not in my job description as an editor and I have not been asked to do this by the publishers.

So to quote Oddball " Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning."  if you want too believe in conspiracies  and make things up go ahead bear in mind speculation like 'underlying issues' could  damage a businesses by putting customers off ordering from us. The same by not supporting all magazines in shops. If magazines stay on the shelf retailers will  order less and in the long term you can say bye bye to paper titles on the shelf and more will move to online or electronic version only sales. 

However I do have an apology to make in my last statement I said that Jan copies were delivered to distribution on Tuesday and were on there way to subscription customers. Bare in mind I have nothing to do with printers or distribution at all so may statement was not accurate

The Jan issues were delivered in Leeds on Tuesday but I did not know it takes 24-48 hours for them to turn them around, so they only left today and are to be expected early next week. Please post when you get yours in plastic wraps not the ones I sent out..

And a further update February issues are here and all internet orders including Feb issues will be in post Tomorrow once I am awake  They will be with distributor today and leave next week to subscribers.

March issue are due next Weds

And sit down for this bit

April issues sent to printers today and  is now booked to print run on the 19th, 10 days ahead of our pre covid schedule. And this  will be the first issue on sale in shops a week later as long as retail opening is not cancelled.

AND ANOTHER ANNOUNCMENT 

As many of you know I do have a day job, and my freelance Magazine work is part time and posting on forums is on top of both.

Once we have caught up with schedule I intend to stop posting on this thread as its job is done. But you can always email me with any questions at the editorial address but bear in mind when I am on duty I work a lot of nights and long shifts so reply may not be quick. 

Edited by WarthogMKL
  • Thanks 3