1/72nd scale F-15D/DJ kits?

Col.

A few days ago while searching for something completely different I found myself looking at photos of JASDF aggressor Eagle schemes. Wow! How cool are they :wub:  Suitably distracted I then went on to buy a decal sheet with four F-15DJ options in 72nd scale and now I NEED kits to apply at least three of those options to. So far I can see the Academy and older Hasegawa options although the reviews on both are somewhat mixed. Anyone have advice on which is the better kit from the point of fit and detail? Is there any alternative routes worth considering? Are some of the various -E kits an option to build a DJ from?

Help! From the bottom of a new rabbit hole :lol:

Edited by Col.

I have built the hasegawa single seater many years ago and it is still one of the best fitting kits I've ever built. I would expect the D/DJ to be the same. Speaking of the "new" mould Hasegawa Eagle of course, the one with recessed panel lines issued in the late '80s. The older kit, with raised panel lines, may have been a nice kit in the '70s but it's not something I'd bother with today

Not having studied the subject in depth I don't know how this kit represents the Japanese configuration, guess that the original boxes correctly represented these at the time the kit was first produced.

Regarding using an E, a proper F-15E has several differences from a D, so it would not be suitable. However there are a number of kits sold as F-15E that are in reality F-15Ds, like the original Academy and Hasegawa issues

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

I have built the hasegawa single seater many years ago and it is still one of the best fitting kits I've ever built. I would expect the D/DJ to be the same. Speaking of the "new" mould Hasegawa Eagle of course, the one with recessed panel lines issued in the late '80s. The older kit, with raised panel lines, may have been a nice kit in the '70s but it's not something I'd bother with today

Not having studied the subject in depth I don't know how this kit represents the Japanese configuration, guess that the original boxes correctly represented these at the time the kit was first produced.

Regarding using an E, a proper F-15E has several differences from a D, so it would not be suitable. However there are a number of kits sold as F-15E that are in reality F-15Ds, like the original Academy and Hasegawa issues

Thank you for taking the time to reply Giorgio. Good reviews and parts photos of either the Hasegawa or Academy kit seem hard to find on-line but will take a look for those older issue E kits as well.

Col

pictures of the parts of the Academy D can be seen here;

https://www.super-hobby.it/products/F-15D-EAGLE.html

This is the "old tool" Academy E, that is pretty mush the same kit as above with some extra parts, so could sure be built as a D

https://www.super-hobby.it/products/F-15E-STRIKE-EAGLE-107383.html

I couldn't find a similar link for the hasegawa kit, this is one of the many issues of the single seater (mine was the original "plain" F-15J box).

https://www.super-hobby.it/products/F-15J-Eagle-Mystic-Eagle-II-JASDF.html#gallery_start

The two-seater is very similar, only differs for the proper front fuselage halves, cockpit and canopy as can be seen in the instructions here:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10721867

• Thanks 2

Thank you again @Giorgio N

The later issue Hasegawa D looks to have some very nice cockpit detail included but their UK availability is not good and comes at a heavy price when they can be found :( I'll look into the various Hasegawa E options this evening to see what they offer as well.

Hi.. it may be hard to obtain in the UK, but the Platz 1/72 kit of the F-15 is JSD/AF specific and is the best fitting F-15 out there.I've built them all and I really liked the Platz offering. Some may think the paneling is a bit heavy but it "disappears" quickly after some paint and primer and aids in any weathering work, minimal that may be on an F-15.

https://finescale.com/product-info/kit-reviews/2017/01/platz-f-15j-eagle-j-msip

Edited by Charles Dykas
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Viasistina said:

Hi.. it may be hard to obtain in the UK, but the Platz 1/72 kit of the F-15 is JSD/AF specific and is the best fitting F-15 out there.I've built them all and I really liked the Platz offering. Some may think the paneling is a bit heavy but it "disappears" quickly after some paint and primer and aids in any weathering work, minimal that may be on an F-15.

https://finescale.com/product-info/kit-reviews/2017/01/platz-f-15j-eagle-j-msip

Thank you @Viasistina, I have seen the kit reviewed in a few places to great accord, sadly it seems impossible to find in the UK at the moment :( 

The Platz kit is really nice, but they only have a J, not a DJ. There were a few single seaters that were at some time or another in aggressor colors (8904, 8906, 8912, 8919, 8936), usually in black and white flowing areas.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, spejic said:

The Platz kit is really nice, but they only have a J, not a DJ. There were a few single seaters that were at some time or another in aggressor colors (8904, 8906, 8912, 8919, 8936), usually in black and white flowing areas.

Yes I've seen one J in the black and white disruptive waves scheme and it looks lovely. Sadly the kit seems non-existent in the UK and a decent DJ as hard to come by unless I'm willing to pay upwards of £50 or go with the old Hasegawa kit second-hand. Even using an E is proving difficult as the GWH kit has the FAST packs moulded in place and the nice newer Hasegawa kit is rare now.

Have purchased an Academy D so waiting for that to arrive but may need to go with a resin cockpit to jazz it up a bit in there.

The DXM decals arrived yesterday. Look great and beautifully printed by Cartograph. All the serial codes for the four machines featured but only enough squadron badges and Hinomaru for two and a single set of stencils :( So to do all four options will mean buying a second sheet for the squadron badges at least :o

12 minutes ago, sroubos said:

Revell/Monogram did one but it's an older tooling with raised detail.

Seen mention of that one as well but as you say an older kit and requiring more work to get results  from.

Cannot comment on the accuracy side of the following kits but I think it could be used to represent the two seater F-15 on a budget:

1) ESCI F-15B/D https://www.scalemates.com/kits/esci-9048-f-15b-two-seater--143409 It has fine engraved panel lines and looks like an Eagle and also has Hinomarus so you might dodge buying multiple sets of the decals if you get multiples of those kits. Obviously even if this kit is accurate it represents 80th airplanes so any upgrades that's been done to the plane should be either scratchbuilt or ignored.

2) Italeri F-15E https://www.scalemates.com/kits/italeri-166-f-15e-strike-eagle--110001 This kit is from around the same time as the other one and have a pretty similar level of detail. It represents (and from what I hear quite accurately) F-15E prototype which was F-15B (not sure if the kit has short or long brake though) and since it has a separate piece for conformal fuel tanks it can be built without those.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Doom3r said:

2) Italeri F-15E https://www.scalemates.com/kits/italeri-166-f-15e-strike-eagle--110001 This kit is from around the same time as the other one and have a pretty similar level of detail. It represents (and from what I hear quite accurately) F-15E prototype which was F-15B (not sure if the kit has short or long brake though) and since it has a separate piece for conformal fuel tanks it can be built without those.

I would put any of a multitude of "F-15B/D labelled as F-15E" kits ahead of the Italeri. Its basic shape may be reasonably correct, but it has crude raised panel lines (imagine Matchbox's Mad Trencher in reverse), mediocre fit, and soft detail all-around.  I'd rank it well behind the Academy or ESCI/AMT, and also give higher marks to the Monogram Strike Eagle, which started life as an F-15A and was last reissued by Revell AG as an F-15B/D. 

On a related note, you may find a deal on the Hasegawa F-15E in its Revell AG reboxing (which should be the only Revell 1/72 F-15E out there, at least until the all-new tool announced for 2021).  Just be wary of the "first generation" Hasegawa F-15B/D/E, which has remained in production even after being eclipsed by the revised tooling. The obsolete plastic was reissued at least as recently as 2008!

• Thanks 1

@Doom3r and @CT7567 thank you for the links and information on those kits. More things to look out for :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, arnobiz said:

I second Giorgio's praise for the Hasegawa kit, beautiful kit :)

If it helps here is my WIP of it, from a few years back

Arnaud

Thank you Arnaud that does help a lot! If I'm fortunate enough to lay my hands on the Hasegawa kit your WiP will be most valuable. Did you ever complete the second one?

The decals arrived yesterday so thought I'd share some images with you all to show what I'm talking about,

2021-01-29_01-34-49

2021-01-29_01-37-27

2021-01-29_01-35-49

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CT7567 said:

I would put any of a multitude of "F-15B/D labelled as F-15E" kits ahead of the Italeri. Its basic shape may be reasonably correct, but it has crude raised panel lines (imagine Matchbox's Mad Trencher in reverse), mediocre fit, and soft detail all-around.  I'd rank it well behind the Academy or ESCI/AMT, and also give higher marks to the Monogram Strike Eagle, which started life as an F-15A and was last reissued by Revell AG as an F-15B/D. 

On a related note, you may find a deal on the Hasegawa F-15E in its Revell AG reboxing (which should be the only Revell 1/72 F-15E out there, at least until the all-new tool announced for 2021).  Just be wary of the "first generation" Hasegawa F-15B/D/E, which has remained in production even after being eclipsed by the revised tooling. The obsolete plastic was reissued at least as recently as 2008!

I am not sure what kit are you talking about but I have half started Tamiya's repack https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-60783-f-15e-strike-eagle--158461 (the reason I put it in the pile of shame has nothing to do with the kit's quality and more with the failure to find cheap F/A-18 to donate it's stabilizers to continue with the plans of building WIF Aggressor F-15 ACTIVE) but the kit has finely engraved panel lines. The only problematic spots that seems to be with the kit are the the place where top part of the fuselage meets the bottom in the front, wing roots and few random sink marks at the rear bottom of the engine section. Also the only reason I suggested these two kits is b/c it looks like @Col. is having hard time finding Hasegawa one (which is if it is the same quality as their F-15C https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hasegawa-00543-f-15c-eagle--1226689 should be a much better option).

Edited by Doom3r

53 minutes ago, Doom3r said:

I am not sure what kit are you talking about but I have half started Tamiya's repack https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-60783-f-15e-strike-eagle--158461 (the reason I put it in the pile of shame has nothing to do with the kit's quality and more with the failure to find cheap F/A-18 to donate it's stabilizers to continue with the plans of building WIF Aggressor F-15 ACTIVE) but the kit has finely engraved panel lines. The only problematic spots that seems to be with the kit are the the place where top part of the fuselage meets the bottom in the front, wing roots and few random sink marks at the rear bottom of the engine section. Also the only reason I suggested these two kits is b/c it looks like @Col. is having hard time finding Hasegawa one (which is if it is the same quality as their F-15C https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hasegawa-00543-f-15c-eagle--1226689 should be a much better option).

This is the kit I was referring to (Italeri, also reboxed for domestic sale by Tamiya; there is a similar C-model tooling that was also released in a Testors boxing).

We clearly have very different definitions of "finely engraved" - as the panel lines are raised, and not at all what I would consider "fine" compared to any of the alternatives I listed.  Considering you say the "only" problem joints are the upper to lower forward fuselage (which runs dead center down both sides from radome to behind the intakes), and the wing roots - which are most of the rest of the length of the airframe - well, all I can ask, to use an American idiom, is "other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

Is it the worst Eagle kit out there? No. But it's not one I would put in even the third tier compared to the alternatives.

Edited by CT7567

59 minutes ago, CT7567 said:

This is the kit I was referring to (Italeri, also reboxed for domestic sale by Tamiya; there is a similar C-model tooling that was also released in a Testors boxing).

We clearly have very different definitions of "finely engraved" - as the panel lines are raised, and not at all what I would consider "fine" compared to any of the alternatives I listed.  Considering you say the "only" problem joints are the upper to lower forward fuselage (which runs dead center down both sides from radome to behind the intakes), and the wing roots - which are most of the rest of the length of the airframe - well, all I can ask, to use an American idiom, is "other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

Is it the worst Eagle kit out there? No. But it's not one I would put in even the third tier compared to the alternatives.

Well, I am still puzzled since the kit that I have does not have raised panel lines. So either Tamiya rescribed panel lines for that kit or they mislabeled it and it has nothing to do with the Italeri. The area I had to use putty on is quite common in the joins and I had similar issue with other kits. With all this in mind it looks like we are talking about 2 completely different kits and I have no idea kit are you talking about.

PS: https://modelingmadness.com/review/mod/us/grifff15e.htm so looks like not only I got a model with the engraved panel lines. And here is the another one http://kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/38-follow-as-i-build/18107-1-72-italeri-f-15e-strike-eagle . And looks like the author of this one did not cared too much to fill the gap I was concerned about.

Edited by Doom3r

Italeri modified the mould at some point, replacing the original raised panel lines with recessed ones. Don't know when this happened, mine was bought very soon after it was issued and has raised panel lines.

IIRC this is a proper F-15E and not a D dressed as an E.

As someone mentioned the Monogram kit, I would avoid it as has the early exhausts with feathers, not applicable to the Japanese aggressors, and the cockpit has the E instrument panels. The kit also features some large "blocks" under the wings that don't exist and need removing.

If I had to build a B from an old kit I'd rather use the Airfix kit than the Monogram one

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

Italeri modified the mould at some point, replacing the original raised panel lines with recessed ones. Don't know when this happened, mine was bought very soon after it was issued and has raised panel lines.

As someone mentioned the Monogram kit, I would avoid it as has the early exhausts with feathers, not applicable to the Japanese aggressors, and the cockpit has the E instrument panels. The kit also features some large "blocks" under the wings that don't exist and need removing.

If I had to build a B from an old kit I'd rather use the Airfix kit than the Monogram one

Was thinking that must have been the case Giorgio even though Scalemates makes no mention of a retooling.

Bought one of the Academy -D so waiting for that to arrive and found a Platz -J on eBay so popped a bid on for that while I keep a lookout for newer boxings of Hasegawa's DJ at a sensible price as the cheapest I'm seeing them is £45 at the moment.

18 minutes ago, Robert said:

If you are not too concerned about details the Hobby Boss 1/72 F-15E has the FAST packs separate so you can make a D/DJ.

Regards

Robert

Ah, I didn't realise the HobbyBoss kit has seperate FAST packs, thank you Robert. Will take a look at that one and see what detail it does contain.

7 hours ago, Doom3r said:

Well, I am still puzzled since the kit that I have does not have raised panel lines. So either Tamiya rescribed panel lines for that kit or they mislabeled it and it has nothing to do with the Italeri. The area I had to use putty on is quite common in the joins and I had similar issue with other kits. With all this in mind it looks like we are talking about 2 completely different kits and I have no idea kit are you talking about.

PS: https://modelingmadness.com/review/mod/us/grifff15e.htm so looks like not only I got a model with the engraved panel lines. And here is the another one http://kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/38-follow-as-i-build/18107-1-72-italeri-f-15e-strike-eagle . And looks like the author of this one did not cared too much to fill the gap I was concerned about.

I was not previously aware of a retooling to convert the panel lines to recessed versions, but I stand by all my other criticisms of this kit. The kiwimodeller photos speak for themselves as to the quality of fit without substantial putty and sanding work (and that is the "updated" tooling).

3 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Not really.

It has CFTs but is missing the correct E style pylons for these (far from easy to scratchbuild, due to the compound curves involved). It has a pair of LANTIRN pods, but they have no real detail at all - barely more than a pair of tubes on pylons. It technically represents the "featherless" exhausts, but they are crude, at best (see photos in doom3r's links above).  It still has the tailhook fairing between the exhausts that was never on any true E airframe (and has since been deleted from C/Ds as well, at least in USAF service). None of the other small detail differences (ammo bay fairing, reinforcement plates, late-style vents, etc).  Armament is a mix of demonstrator weapons, crudely represented (e.g. AIM-9Ls with forward fins nearly as thick as the main missile bodies), and historical fiction (Vietnam-era GBU-8). Decals represent only the first pre-production Strike Eagle (86-0183), not to be confused with the long-serving demonstrator 71-0291 (originally a prototype TF-15A).

Mainly due to the LANTIRN pods being there at all, it was closer than most kits when released (circa 30 years ago), but it's never been any better than a mediocre kit and whether you want an E or a D there are many better options.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Col. said:

Ah, I didn't realise the HobbyBoss kit has seperate FAST packs, thank you Robert. Will take a look at that one and see what detail it does contain.

Not sure if you are aware but I always use this ( https://www.super-hobby.com/products/F-15E-Strike-Eagle-1229602.html ) site to check what is in the box and the assembly manual before buying the kit (even when standing in the store with the kit in question in my hand). Especially useful to understand if you want to swing by another section of the store and pick up some weapon options since weapon options in the kit may not be present (Hasegawa) or being not good or accurate.

6 hours ago, Robert said:

If you are not too concerned about details the Hobby Boss 1/72 F-15E has the FAST packs separate so you can make a D/DJ.

Regards

Robert

Did they got canopy right on that one? B/c on C model it has the shape that makes me think about MiG-29 instead of the F-15 (too flat and steep decline right after the highest point where on real F-15 it has a bit more curve to it) and completely spoils the look of the model even to my eye that is not too familiar with F-15s

• Thanks 1