Building Nimrod R1 XW666 from the 80s

Just started on doing XW666 R1 Nimrod from the 1980s. I am not that impressed with the Airfix kit so far, and it needs some modification to the windows and panniers.... The front pannier on an R1 was different and housed a large antenna separately.

But first, I decided to build a decent cockpit, though little of it will be seen. I used Eduard upgrade and modified the original seats. Here it is. Tough going at 1/72 but it is much closer to reality than Airfix.

0865354fea21cbf37c93b5eb2ae168ed.jpg?epi

f34905c5a5a3303a989f6eed783651eb.jpg

fc888bac072f0be22fe70c8bfaba6717.jpg

• Like 9

I worked on 51 Sqn from Nov 81 until Jul 87. Nice work so far on the cockpit. What you call the Navs station is actually the Air Engs position. The Navs on the R1 sat just outside the cockpit in line with the front door. XW666 was the last Nimrod R1 to be painted in Hemp towards the end of 1982, start of 1983 after it had been on her major. She also would not have got the hook aerials until that time either. I do have some exterior pictures of all 3 aircraft when there w a Sqn flyby of RAF Wyton. Forgot to mention my Avatar is XW664.

• Like 1

Great project!  If I recall from others' remarks I heard while on AD, the entire Nimrod R back-end crew was enlisted.  By contrast, our RC-135V/Ws had three commissioned officer Ravens up front.

1 hour ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

Mainly of years of spilt tea/coffee and chicken curry

Was chicken curry part of your "boxed lunch?"  LOL.

5 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Great project!  If I recall from others' remarks I heard while on AD, the entire Nimrod R back-end crew was enlisted.  By contrast, our RC-135V/Ws had three commissioned officer Ravens up front.

Was chicken curry part of your "boxed lunch?"  LOL.

No there were some Officers in the back crew. Also the majority of the back end crew were quite old, sorry experienced in their field of work.

• Like 1

Sorry I have mislead you a bit. XW665 was the last R1 to be painted in Hemp and was often known as "The Grey Lady". XW666 was painted in Hemp before I got to the Sqn possibly in 1980 knowing the aircrafts major cycle. It was however the last to get the hook aerial in the dates that I mentioned. Again sorry for the confusion my mind is playing tricks on me at the moment.

12 hours ago, Jabba said:

No there were some Officers in the back crew. Also the majority of the back end crew were quite old, sorry experienced in their field of work.

Seasoned experts, I think you'll find!

• Like 1

On 28/01/2021 at 04:35, Jabba said:

I worked on 51 Sqn from Nov 81 until Jul 87. Nice work so far on the cockpit. What you call the Navs station is actually the Air Engs position. The Navs on the R1 sat just outside the cockpit in line with the front door. XW666 was the last Nimrod R1 to be painted in Hemp towards the end of 1982, start of 1983 after it had been on her major. She also would not have got the hook aerials until that time either. I do have some exterior pictures of all 3 aircraft when there w a Sqn flyby of RAF Wyton. Forgot to mention my Avatar is XW664.

Yes, we worked together then. I was a fairy... Of course, Eng not nav position. Old age...