Harrier GR. 3 ordnance question

Dansk

I have a 1/48 kinetic harrier on it’s way to me.

I intend to build it as a GR.3 (I like the nose) ground attack variant of sorts, for eligibility into the ground-attack Group Build.

However the kit rockets protrude comically and incorrectly, so I thought it exciting to replace them with aftermarket ordnance.

spacer.png

Can anyone point me in the right direction, I’d like to know...

A. interesting air to ground options for a GR.3, (preferably less common loadouts)

B. And who produces this in 1/48? (Or can I steal it from another kit in my stash?)

Thanks in advance for any help 🙏

Edited by Dansk

In addition to the Matra rocket and excluding the occasional trials fit, you are probably limited to CBLS100 practice bomb carriers; thousand pound freefall or retarded bombs; Paveway laser guided bombs or, infrequently, BL755 Cluster Bombs these should all be available from Resikit or David J Parkins/Flightpath amongst others.

Whilst they aren't air-to-ground stores the cut down Phimat Pods carried by some RAF Germany based aircraft or the AIM-9G Sidewinders carried by 1 Squadron's Harriers might be considered to be "interesting".

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, exdraken said:

What about 1000lb laser guided bombs? Less common but used in the Falklands if I remember correctly!

Correct - and I think I've also seen a picture of an RAF Germany 4 Squadron aircraft carrying a pair of blue painted inert Paveways.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Correct - and I think I've also seen a picture of an RAF Germany 4 Squadron aircraft carrying a pair of blue painted inert Paveways.

To be correct they are blue painted Practice Paveway II (UK). Light Blue does not mean inert.

Selwyn

• Like 3

Paveways were also used on Maple Flag in 1984, with designation from a Canadian Kiowa.  It was partly successful...  Also note a speedtape and double bond leading edge repair.

Oi2wBDD.jpg

To add to the stores list, ACMI pods were used at Decci and Maple Flag.

Regards

Tim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The standard bombload for GR3 in Germany was 4x BL755 cluster bomb, however the live version of this weapon was very seldom flown and the practice versions were like hens teeth, I never saw one on the sqn in two years. The most common were the drill rounds that were not for flight and only used for load training.

4 sqn aircraft carried the Recce pod a lot of the time.

Selwyn  

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, TimB said:

...  Also note a speedtape and double bond leading edge repair.

Goose ? Had to BDR one of our wingtips on Maple Flag

Edited by JagRigger

12 hours ago, Selwyn said:

The standard bombload for GR3 in Germany was 4x BL755 cluster bomb, however the live version of this weapon was very seldom flown and the practice versions were like hens teeth, I never saw one on the sqn in two years. The most common were the drill rounds that were not for flight and only used for load training.

4 sqn aircraft carried the Recce pod a lot of the time.

Selwyn  

Anything on the centreline with the four BL755s?

On 1/26/2021 at 11:52 PM, Richard E said:

Whilst they aren't air-to-ground stores the cut down Phimat Pods carried by some RAF Germany based aircraft 

More on the Phimat: 

Cheers,

Andre 

• Like 1

On 27/01/2021 at 18:49, wombat said:

They attempted to use them in the falklands self designating with the laser range finder which didn’t work. I don’t think there were any proper designators in theatre.

They eventually got a ground laser in place and there was at least one live attack - iirc the second on 14th June was called off due to the Argentine forces displaying white flags

Hi, Ossington, sorry I can't confirm the serial but from one other photo it looks like a 08 at the end, so you are probably right.  The exercise was in May 84 if that helps.

Regards

Tim