Greetings from Down Under

Alun Gallie

Greetings all, joined this excellent site a few days ago and have been salivating over builds ever since. Certainly got me motivated. I am a Kiwi, but have lived in Adelaide Australia for 25 yrs. I have modelled and painted ( various tabletop war gaming ) on and off for 40+ year.

I spent a period in 80s and 90s in RNZN and as such my current interests are 1/72 helicopters and aircraft I controlled, and (scale to be decided) ships I served on, as well as the same for my fathers service. I also have an interest in larger scale coastal forces and have the Vosper MTB in 1/35 on my shelf which I originally intended to tackle first but now have decided to do a few of the helo’s to ‘build up’ to something bigger. 

First  up will be a Wessex 31b from RAN (many of aircraft I got to control were RAN and some RN). Just getting image hits sorted and will set up a build in progress thread. I find build diaries very motivating from past experience. 

Edited by Alun Gallie
  • Like 2

Hi Alun, and welcome. A Wessex  31B is a fine start and I think you’ll find quite a few admirers of that type in the forum and some excellent advice forthcoming. You would be interested in the Anzac group build currently underway. Cheers, Andrew

Gidday Alun... :post1: from another former colony in the city of Chicago. Interestingly I have just kicked off the Aussie/New Zealand group build a few days ago. If you're interested come down to the group build section and check out all the Mates and Bro’s work. You're welcome to join in as well anything is allowed as long as there is a connection to either country. Ive provided a link to the chat section of the group build. 

Dennis

Gidday Alun, welcome aboard, from the Western bit of Oz. I plan on participating in the GB also, although I can't start just yet. If you have anything suitable in the stash, or can get something why not get involved. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Alun. I am ex RAAF and had the chance to work with some Kiwi personnel, aircraft and ships during Kakadu V in Darwin. A kiwi P-3 pilot was the liaison officer in our Optec bunker and he was also a modeller from memory. I also had the chance to watch a 3 ship RNZAF A-4 formation do a beat up of tower at RAAF Williamtown but never had a video camera handy that day. Would have been 2000 or 2001.....have to check a diary for exact date.

Looking forward to your RAN Wessex project. 

Edited by P-3s rule
word left out
  • Like 1

Thanks Ed, it will be conversion of 1/76 Italeri kit. As I am now aware of the ANZ group build I am going to postpone the Wessex and instead start with a RAN UH1B (again 1/76 Italeri kit as starting point) as the Wessex was already started a couple of years ago and so doesn't meet the 25% so will leave that til next.

Welcome aboard Alun, i am modelling more than 40 years too, of course with on and off, especially when the girls came into my life hehehehe, but since 2006 no off anymore. Here in Germany we can watch almost weekly a Documentary about Australia, the wide country or a bout the truckers there who drive very long trucks trains.

One of my favourite bands is Ment at work to date, i love their sound

Greets from Oldenburg/ Germany

• Like 1