Return to modelling after 35 years!

Graham R

I am pleased to be able to join Britmodeller. I completed my last model in 1984. Perhaps like a lot of other members I have returned to the hobby due to the restrictions following the pandemic.

I have joined Britmodeller as things have changed since 1984. I had a Tamiya F1 Ferrari kit that I won in a raffle and I thought I would make a start. I ordered the Tamiya paints needed and a set of brushes. Then I discovered no matter how I tried I could not brush paint with Tamiya acrylics. I then bought a starter airbrush. I struggled with that too. I didn't achieve a good result with a rattle can either!!

As I used to make aircraft models back in the 80's I decided to return and see if I could do a better job than the Ferrari. I ordered the Italeri 1/48 P40. It has needed a fair bit of filler but it is together and looks ok so far. I even found my old Humbrol paints from 35 years ago and they are still good enough to use.

i have also started one of the Airfix 1/48 Spitfire kits. Great detail found the cockpit detail very fiddly. 

Any my recommendations on a 1/48 aircraft kit for a beginner? I used to think I was a good modeller in my early 20's but at 57 I feel I should start again until some of the skills come back.

Graham

• Like 4

Hello Graham...:post1: from across the pond in Chicago. Ive been building scale models particularly aircraft since 1979. If you can afford a Tamiya kit they go together like a dream most of the time. They occasionally re-box Italeri models so those might give you issues. Use a google search for lets say an Tamiya 1/48 P-51 mustang/Scalemates. And it will give you an idea if the history if the kit. Scalemates is a great place as well as Cybermodeler to get kit info and history. Please feel free to ask questions by D/M or by doing this @Corsairfoxfouruncle. This will get my attention or anyone elses by adding the at symbol in front of there screen name. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for the advice. I have just been looking at a P40 kit from Bronco and checked it on Scalemates. It has a lot of detail. I am not at that stage yet and must walk before I try to run. I will follow your recommendation and let you know how I get on. 

I have been been disappointed with the 2 kits I have started and the amount of filler needed. So I do need a kit that goes together well and I can enjoy the hobby as I renew those forgotten skills.

Regards,

Graham

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Graham R said:

I have been been disappointed with the 2 kits I have started and the amount of filler needed. So I do need a kit that goes together well and I can enjoy the hobby as I renew those forgotten skills.

Understandable, please don't be discouraged with the Italeri P-40. It is an older mold originally done by Hobbycraft, AMT-Ertl, and now Italeri. Though I have built several over the years and they can be built up into good builds. It takes time patience, and knowledge of the kits pitfalls. Here are a couple of my recent builds of the kit. The first is an “N” variant of the kit.

qImkBHi.jpg
This was done two years ago. And this is the long tail K variant done a couple of months ago. gfDNUpy.jpg

All told I’ve built the kit in guise or another six times. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Hi Dennis,

I guess I am disappointed with the first 2 kits I have attempted since returning to the hobby. I am probably expecting too much of myself. As the old saying goes you must walk before you can run. 

Whilst 1/48 is a scale I like I have given my return to the hobby some thought since we last corresponded. I have taken the decision to return to a scale I am familiar with - 1/72. I will start at the beginning again and try to refund those old skills. Today I ordered the Airfix Hunting Provost, BAE Hawk (not the Red Arrows version) and the Academy 1/72 F4J Phantom. I never painted a USN aircraft before. I also believe 1/72 is better for brush painting too. Spent a lot on enamels today too!!!

When the COVID restrictions are lifted I will join the local club and can hopefully find someone with the time and patience to help me learn about airbrushing. I look on YouTube and they make it look easy. I bought a mid range Badger airbrush during our UK lockdown last Spring. I really struggled with it and gave up. I feel happier with brush painting as it is what I am used too.

I will keep you updated how I get on with the Italeri P40 and Airfix Spitfire VB. 

Keep safe.

Regards,

Graham 

• Like 2

On 26/01/2021 at 22:38, Graham R said:

I am pleased to be able to join Britmodeller. I completed my last model in 1984. Perhaps like a lot of other members I have returned to the hobby due to the restrictions following the pandemic.

You can’t quit the modelling, believe me! 😉 Welcome aboard and back to the hobby, Graham!

On 26/01/2021 at 22:38, Graham R said:

I used to think I was a good modeller in my early 20's but at 57 I feel I should start again until some of the skills come back.

I have my skills returned on my fourth build since the 20-years hiatus. So you’re not alone here. 🤝

On 27/01/2021 at 20:48, Graham R said:

I have been been disappointed with the 2 kits I have started and the amount of filler needed.

After some struggles with the same problems I find the good way to organise the work: now I’m always dry fit the parts (sand or build up using the kit’s plastic or even the chip) till I just need to glue them together. It requires some time, but it worth it.

I guess I am disappointed with the first 2 kits I have attempted since returning to the hobby. I am probably expecting too much of myself.

Sadly, some kits aren’t for fun!

I bought a mid range Badger airbrush during our UK lockdown last Spring. I really struggled with it and gave up.

Just put it for time and back to it a bit later - I’m sure you’re able to make it work as expected.

Happy modelling, feel free to ask for help here.

• Like 1