Looking for gun ring help

Herb

Anyone have a decent picture or view of an Etévé gun mount? I'm lead to believe that's what was used on the Morane Saulnier 'P', but I'm having trouble determining its general configuration...

Cheers

Herb

On 1/26/2021 at 10:53 PM, Paul Thompson said:

Also applicable for some Sopwith 1 and 1/2 Strutters in French service. The oldish but very nice  Flashback kit in 1/72nd included one in PE IIRC, and Part Etchings also used to do one - I think. Not sure now.

Paul.

Including the Memorial Flight Association on if I remember correctly

• Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 1:52 PM, Herb said:

Anyone have a decent picture or view of an Etévé gun mount? I'm lead to believe that's what was used on the Morane Saulnier 'P', but I'm having trouble determining its general configuration...

Cheers

Herb

Hi Herb, here are some photos from this website http://image-bank.techno-science.ca/collections/image_bank/

they restored a Nieuport 12 that Canada was given by France during the war. I think it is components of an Eteve mount but correct me if I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, Herb said:

Thanks Ted and Melvyn,

Excellent references, although I believe they're images of the "Scarff" gun mount. Equally useful, though, as many subjects used that apparatus. 

Cheers

Herb

Right, thanks Herb. That is a Scarff mount. I imagine the airplane was originally delivered with an Eteve mount but maybe a Scarff mount was put on during an earlier restoration.

Here's the recently restored Nieuport 12 with I think an Eteve mount. But you have to zoom in close to see anything. I tried to get better pictures when I visited the museum but I had a terrible camera at the time and the airplane is displayed about 12' off the ground. Of course I may be wrong again :D

I'm also interested in details of the Eteve mount because I'm scratchbuilding a 1/32 Nieuport 12. I may resort to building a British N12 with a Scarff mount if I don't find better reference pictures.

ac333694-2

In the Harry Woodman book,'Early Aircraft Armament-The Aeroplane and the Gun up to 1918',there is a description and drawings of the mount designed by Eteve.These are on page 81.The images can be viewed on www.worldhistory.biz

HTH........Dave.