Pictures of Op Granby GR-1 with 8x 1000# bombs

Scout712

12 hours ago, exdraken said:

thanks!

wow! what an assortment of life ordnance!

did not know that the front part of the JP233 had a fairing!

It didn't have a "fairing", the main body section held the cratering devices, the front section contained the mines, note the yellow dashed HE markings on both, (the dashes indicated the section contained explosive devices)

Selwyn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jakub Cikhart said:

Jari,

great picture !!! I guess it is Foxy Mama judging by the tail. And you can clearly see the TSC :) Awesome. And one more question: TSC grey or green ? As it looks like grey on that picture.

Thanks !

Gulf Air War Debrief shows a close up during loading of the toward bombs on TSC. The TSCs are grey similar to the FS 36118 gunship grey. Might be BS381C Dark Sea Grey. A very small tip is painted black.

Regards

Michael

On 2/11/2021 at 6:11 PM, Scout712 said:

Gulf Air War Debrief shows a close up during loading of the toward bombs on TSC. The TSCs are grey similar to the FS 36118 gunship grey. Might be BS381C Dark Sea Grey. A very small tip is painted black.

Regards

Michael

Just checke that book in my collection and yessss :) found it, thanks a lot !!!

On 1/29/2021 at 5:50 PM, wombat said:

Checked my reference re CBU 87s - not only signed off but loaded and ready to depart when the ceasefire came through. Doesn’t say what config though and I’ve never seen pics.

The Tornado's based at Muharraq were loaded with four CBU-87's, one each on the forward & rear HDERU's on the shoulder pylons

CBU-87 on Tornado

XVTonker 

• Thanks 1

On 2/3/2021 at 8:14 PM, XV107 said:

Badly expressed on my part;  I meant in the context of in the instances where the load was reduced to five, the reason given (from TGR mates across the three locations) was the weight being the consideration. I forget whether the raid on Shaibah right at the end of January originated from Muharraq, but it's a cracking example of the full eight x 1000lb fit being used from medium level, as is the subsequent declassified MISREP - which I think is in the link I provided - where the aircrews complain that despite managing to get 60 odd bombs in the right target area, it still wasn't close enough to cause much damage to the hangars and please could they have Paveways ASAP?

Thinking about it, I have a recollection that Tabuk might have flown without the TSCs on some of the low-level sorties. As I am actively discouraged from visiting my office until Mr Johnson says it's OK to do so, I'll have to wait to get into the filing cabinet with the relevant material in it to see if that thought's right or not...

The main task of the aircraft at Tabuk was radar suppression using ALARM missiles.

As part of a team from XV Sqn we did a crash course on the ALARM missile, but when we heard that we would be based in Tabuk and not in Muharraq with the rest of XV Sqn we agreed to train the guys of 20 Sqn and they deployed to Tabuk with the ALARM missiles.

XVTonker

16 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Hi John,

the picture is too small to see any details.  Can you rescan at a higher resolution and repost please?

Mike

The picture can be seen here:- https://dstorm.eu/pictures/nose-arts/tornado/gb/za475_3.jpg  here:- https://dstorm.eu/pictures/nose-arts/tornado/gb/za475_6.jpg  and here:- https://dstorm.eu/pictures/nose-arts/tornado/gb/za475_7.jpg . It also show the different shark mouth that this aircraft carried.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jabba said:

The picture can be seen here:- https://dstorm.eu/pictures/nose-arts/tornado/gb/za475_3.jpg  here:- https://dstorm.eu/pictures/nose-arts/tornado/gb/za475_6.jpg  and here:- https://dstorm.eu/pictures/nose-arts/tornado/gb/za475_7.jpg . It also show the different shark mouth that this aircraft carried.

Will do

I checked the links to the posted images and the first one is mine but the other two aren't however, here are three shots of ZA475, two with the CBU's visible and the third showing the LH side of the nose. These pictures were all taken at the same time.

50949558002_c2c7f11455_m.jpg

50948755213_72937af331_m.jpg

50949460246_108d4895a3_m.jpg

If you'd like larger versions drop me a PM and I'll send you copies.

XVTonker :pilot:

Judging by some of those photos, looks like heavy rain streaking weathering techniques are needed for anyone replicating these Tornados! Looks like they had some pretty bad weather at the time with substantial puddles. Hardly desert conditions, more like Germany (or Norfolk...)

:tumble:

Rich

Edited by RichG

On 1/31/2021 at 3:18 PM, exdraken said:

Without knowing the exact cause its difficult of course. But stiffer racks? Or stiffer  mounting? Or different design or firing sequence?

There is always options, but those cost time and money....

Flexing wasn't seen as a problem as the bombs were carried side by side and the Tornado GR.1 weapons system was designed to release the bombs in a sequence to maintain an even release of the weapons. Also they were not toss bombing but just straight runs along the sides of the runways to take out the AAA batteries.t

XVTonker

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/21/2021 at 11:38 AM, xvtonker said:

Flexing wasn't seen as a problem as the bombs were carried side by side and the Tornado GR.1 weapons system was designed to release the bombs in a sequence to maintain an even release of the weapons. Also they were not toss bombing but just straight runs along the sides of the runways to take out the AAA batteries.t

XVTonker

Was reading WAP Gulf Air War Debrief in the bath this morning and it mentions that the anti-AAA runs were carried out via loft bombing (which is just a different term for toss isnt it?) with fuses set for just above the ground. Any idea if thats plain false or were there possibly a few different techniques tried out?

I still cant find where I read about the flexing. Starting to wonder if Ive mixed it up with the Jaguars tandem rails.

• Like 1

As mentioned earlier in this thread a report here of the attack, on, pg 130 of the document:

https://www.raf.mod.uk/what-we-do/centre-for-air-and-space-power-studies/documents1/air-power-review-vol-19-no-2-first-gulf-war-25th-anniversary-special/

also some mission reports can be read starting at pg 143, including other 8 x 1000lb bomb attacks.

Jari

Although barely visible, this photo taken on the first few days of the war seems to show the 8x1000lbs loadout.

"19th January 1991 An RAF Tornado GR1 bomber in its hardened shelter at the King Faisal Airbase, Tabuk, Saudi Arabia."

19th-january-1991-an-raf-tornado-gr1-bom

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-19th-january-1991-an-raf-tornado-gr1-bomber-in-its-hardened-shelter-83196271.html

Edited by CharlieGolf2009
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...

Reviving the old thread, I have a question about the nose art carried. I have the decals for ZA790 "Debbi" and want to put the 8x1000# with TSC fit on my model.

When did GR-1s start to carry the nose art? All pics I found on the net show nose art and clear pics of the armament only for either the GBU , or 5x1000# or ALARM loads. But in that link Debbi has only 4 mission symbols. Would it be correct to assume it was loaded at that stage still with 8x1000 ers?

Thanks

Michael