Ace models 1/72 - how are they?

MisterE

No points for the wag who answers "very well, thanks for asking..."

How are they as kits?  How is the accuracy, crispness of detail and complexity?

I'm looking at some of the subjects in the British Cold War era and drooling!

Edited by MisterE
Because that comma was bothering me

ACE kits are short run kits.

Very detailed but not easy to build.

Here some of my examples:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21603181@N08/50069118447/in/dateposted/

FV-651 Salamander Mk.6 Crash Tender

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21603181@N08/49820601596/in/dateposted/

FV-603B Saracen

More on my flickr page.

modelldoc

Thanks for the reply @modelldoc, the Sara was one of the ones I was particularly interested in.  And thanks for the heads-up about short run kits. I won't obsess about finding a Scorpion then!

11 hours ago, MisterE said:

How are they as kits?  How is the accuracy, crispness of detail and complexity?

Accuracy - usually 8/10, crispness - about 6/10, complexity - 10/10 (or maybe even 11/10) :)

1 hour ago, Richard Humm said:

...Scorpion ...tracks have to be folded up from strips of photoetch, with the teeth formed on the outside and needing to be folded into the middle and glued together.

These tracks prevent me from starting to build my Scorpion 😢

Cheers

Michael

9 hours ago, KRK4m said:

Accuracy - usually 8/10, crispness - about 6/10, complexity - 10/10 (or maybe even 11/10) :)

Cheers

Michael

That sounds...like a project! 😁

On 26/01/2021 at 21:55, KRK4m said:

Cheers

Michael

To be fair, the tracks are possibly the easiest part of the kit 😂😂

As the guys have said, a mixed bag due to limited run but with ACE's growing collection, if your subject is there and nowhere else, what choice do you have. Get your kits and using your modelling prowess, fix them, we are meant to be modellers after all.

Stuart

• Like 1

I have a LOT of ACE kits.....As has been said, these are short run kits and you really can't generalise about their quality, other than to say:

A newer kit from early in a production run can be quite lovely (on the sprue at least), I have several that fit that description, including their Ka-25 Hormone.  B)

An older kit from the end of a production run can be another thing entirely, I have quite a few of those too.  :unsure:

@MisterE Is there a particular kit you are interested in (other than the Saracen)?

Interested in a Scorpion, if I can find one second hand (I've heard horror stories about the tracks though)...anything British from the 70s and 80s really. Did they (or anyone) ever do a Humber Pig??

6 hours ago, MisterE said:

Interested in a Scorpion, if I can find one second hand (I've heard horror stories about the tracks though)...anything British from the 70s and 80s really. Did they (or anyone) ever do a Humber Pig??

I had a look in all my usual spots for their Scorpion, no joy.....No suprise either TBH, once these kits are gone they tend to stay gone until Alexey decides to re-pop them.....Your best bet at getting a Scorpion might be to contact him directly at ACE.

• 3 months later...

Hi there

I normally go around the aircraft forums but I also do some Braille Scale and have a few Ace so

One very single time a coment spoted On the Way website (I think) regarding that you need to use Revell Contacta use for Low Injection Limited Editions Western Europe plastica models and that also aplied for Eduard, KP or Kovosavody Mars

Regarrds

Armando

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2021 at 2:47 PM, MisterE said:

(I've heard horror stories about the tracks though

On 1/26/2021 at 9:55 PM, KRK4m said:

These tracks prevent me from starting to build my Scorpion

The tracks are actually very realistic if you approach then methodically. I built the Scimitar and was really pleased with it. A bit fiddly but as @Courageous says, that's what we do!

There you go

IMG20201117151101

IMG20201117161300

In the stash I have an AML-60 and AML-90, plus a couple of Centurions. Great little kits IMHO.

Terry

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 6/21/2021 at 12:45 AM, PF Naughton said:

Wow, your Scimitar looks phenomenal 😮

A belated thank you! I was quite pleased with the result, and discovered that weathering techniques for 1/35 work just as well in 1/72 AFV's!

Full RFI here 

Terry