how to slightly bend clear canopy

DrumBum

hi all,

the covid production line is in full swing and the next plane to leave the cave is the nice AMK 1/48 Kfir.

I am reasonably happy with the kit except for two niggles.

The front of the wing at the root did not fit well and needed serious upward bending to get a reasonable fit.

But now I find the windscreen is too narrow by about 1mm at the rear edge where it meets the canopy.

I have already dipped it in future but would it be possible to gently “flatten” the canopy to widen it at the base?

perhaps with some gentle heat?

cheers in advance

paul

I would not try bending a clear part. Clear plastic generally tends to be more brittle than the one used for most kit parts and even if the part may not crack, you may see the plastic turning "milky" where the plastic starts to bend too much

If the windscreen is too narrow by 1 mm at the rear, better glue it in place so that you have 0.5 mm per side and then blend this with the rest of the fuselage using filler. If the opening canopy part is also too narrow, then you could consider sanding the fuselage to blend it in place. If the canopy is wider than the windsdcreen, then blending with filler is the best option... or you could sand the fuselage top and leave the canopy open

• Like 1

I have done it with a hairdryer and blu-tac working slowly. I explain how I did it here.

Not for the faint-hearted. Easy to crack, but in this case the result was very pleasing. 

Ray